Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightroom Keyword Question

Taxboy 12 199
19 Mar 2011 1:03PM
I think I understand how the keywording works but would appreciate if someone can answer the following question. If for example I want to identify interior shots of a house from the garden shots from a specific location and use for example (>>>> is a child keyword of Red House & Blue House)

Red House
>>>> Interior
>>>> Gardens

Blue House
>>>> Interior
>>>> Gardens

Am I correct in thinking that if I type gardens as a keyword into other shots as I download it will automatically pick up all the keywords i.e. interior, Blue House, Red House or is there a much simplert way of achieving what I want to do ?

I hope I've explained what the issue is & thanks for any help

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Mar 2011 1:39PM
That look about right.....Smile

I have many shots of Southwold, But not all the same part of Southwold.

So the main title would be Southwold, Then add a word to describe the content, ie: Pier, Harbour, Beach, Boat etc etc.

I guess you could add the month of the year to, If you wanted to narrow the search further.

So if I want to find " Southwold Pier shot in May " I'd be looking at 3 keywords Southwold/Pier/May and so on.

Some keyword systems are better than others, So far I have found LR3 to be pretty good at finding what I'm looking for.

You do need to be fairly regular/careful with the words you choose though to maintain accuracy.
Taxboy 12 199
19 Mar 2011 1:54PM

Quote:That look about right.....Smile

I have many shots of Southwold, But not all the same part of Southwold.

So the main title would be Southwold, Then add a word to describe the content, ie: Pier, Harbour, Beach, Boat etc etc.

I guess you could add the month of the year to, If you wanted to narrow the search further.

So if I want to find " Southwold Pier shot in May " I'd be looking at 3 keywords Southwold/Pier/May and so on.

Some keyword systems are better than others, So far I have found LR3 to be pretty good at finding what I'm looking for.

You do need to be fairly regular/careful with the words you choose though to maintain accuracy.

So essentially I can't really use the term gardens again as a keyword without picking up the associated ones ?
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
19 Mar 2011 2:03PM
Selecting a Parent retrieves all the Children but selecting a Child does not retrieve all the Children with the same Parent.
So I do not think what you want to do is possible as Gardens is specific to a Parent, i.e. Red / Blue House so will only pick those up.

I suspect there are going to be many more Houses, Red / Blue is just an example ?
One option could be is to create Keyword Sets containing specific keywords

1) Red House,Garden,Interior
2) Blue House,Garden,Interior

Needs a little more thought but I think this is the better path to go down rather than the Parent / Child route

In respect of finding the shots at a later time I would just create Smart Collections based on specific criteria so that as soon as you apply / remove keywords to the image it is automatically added / removed from the Smart Collection
Taxboy 12 199
19 Mar 2011 3:39PM

Quote:Selecting a Parent retrieves all the Children but selecting a Child does not retrieve all the Children with the same Parent.
So I do not think what you want to do is possible as Gardens is specific to a Parent, i.e. Red / Blue House so will only pick those up.

I suspect there are going to be many more Houses, Red / Blue is just an example ?
One option could be is to create Keyword Sets containing specific keywords

1) Red House,Garden,Interior
2) Blue House,Garden,Interior

Needs a little more thought but I think this is the better path to go down rather than the Parent / Child route

In respect of finding the shots at a later time I would just create Smart Collections based on specific criteria so that as soon as you apply / remove keywords to the image it is automatically added / removed from the Smart Collection

You are correct in that there will be more. I just used a couple as an example. Your idea of keyword sets is really good and I'd forgottent about the idea of using a smart collection. many thanks for your help with this
Dave_Canon 8 918 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2011 5:12PM
Remember that you can apply multiple keywords. So if you had Red House, Blue House, Interior, Garden as independent keywords, you could apply and/or search for any combination. If you wanted the gardens at the Red House you apply Red House for the first keyword search and Gardens for the second. The keywords searches are implement in the order applied.

I am not sure that there is an ideal way of using keywords but I have 28 parent keywords and 60 further child keywords.

An example of a recent search for a photograph for a newspaper. It had to be taken in Gloucestershire in the last 6 months and a candid shot of a person or people. So I set the first search field to child Keyword "Gloucestershire", second to child keyword "candid" then the third search field to Date and selected the relevant 6 months. This instantly selected 6 from the 10,000 images in my catalogue of which two were suitable. I also colour code so that all completed edited images are coded green so I also set Attribute to "Green" for this search.

Dave
Taxboy 12 199
21 Mar 2011 8:26AM

Quote:Remember that you can apply multiple keywords. So if you had Red House, Blue House, Interior, Garden as independent keywords, you could apply and/or search for any combination. If you wanted the gardens at the Red House you apply Red House for the first keyword search and Gardens for the second. The keywords searches are implement in the order applied.

I am not sure that there is an ideal way of using keywords but I have 28 parent keywords and 60 further child keywords.

An example of a recent search for a photograph for a newspaper. It had to be taken in Gloucestershire in the last 6 months and a candid shot of a person or people. So I set the first search field to child Keyword "Gloucestershire", second to child keyword "candid" then the third search field to Date and selected the relevant 6 months. This instantly selected 6 from the 10,000 images in my catalogue of which two were suitable. I also colour code so that all completed edited images are coded green so I also set Attribute to "Green" for this search.

Dave

Dave thanks for your help on this - it has now got me thinking is there any advantage to using parent child keywords over a straight list ?
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2011 8:46AM

Quote:it has now got me thinking is there any advantage to using parent child keywords over a straight list ?

Well if you select the child you get all the parents for free. I use it particularly for places so selecting "Strawberry Hill Pond" gives me all these keywords:
Strawberry Hill Pond, Epping Forest, Loughton, Essex, England,UK, British Isles, Europe, PLACES

PLACES is my route keyword for locations. This is particularly useful as i have a smart collection setup which contains all pictures without the keyword "PLACES" - I caan then see which pictures I have forgotten to add a location to really easily. I have a similar arrangment for People & Dogs - which are the main things I am likely to search on.

In theory there is a Location field, which you should use for this (or use a Geocoding location) but I find using a keyword stack more usefull as I can quickly pull ourt all shots in Norfolk (or Cmbria, etc) if I need to.

For general keywords I use the Controlled Vocabulary which gives you a lot of keywords to strat off with.

Don't neglect Collections though as these help with organisation just as much as keywords.
Dave_Canon 8 918 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2011 9:04AM
It is also worth noting that keywords are stored in a text file which can be imported and exported. Before buying LR, I used The Bridge and developed my set of keywords over some time. I was able to export the list from The Bridge and import to LR which saved hours of typing.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.