Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightroom missing pictures

Daffy1 7 337 Ireland
30 Mar 2013 4:10PM
Lightroom says my pictures missing and won't copy or import from my hard drive or my external hard drive, but all my pictures are there. It says they have a diiferent name or something HELP !!!??? Damian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
30 Mar 2013 4:26PM
Maybe you've moved their location?

If you point at the ? You can tellLR where they are Smile
30 Mar 2013 9:03PM
What Cats_123 said.
You will have moved the original raws to a different folder. From the Library screen, on the left hand side you will see which folder it thinks they are in. There is probably a "?" symbol there now. Right click and click on where it says locate files. Then just navigate to where you moved them.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2013 9:38PM
Have you moved them using Windows (mac?) Explorer? If so LR will lose track of them.

Alternatively windows has a nasty habit of renaming external drives which confuses LR.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
30 Mar 2013 10:51PM
Sometimes, if you are plugging and unplugging external drives, card readers, etc., the letters (e,g, E:, F:, G:, etc) assigned to your external drives can change. If this happens, Lightroom loses track of your file locations and you need to address the problem as indicated above.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2013 11:31PM
I shoudlhave added last time that if you find the problem is that Windows is relabelling an external drive you can rename it manually, but make sure you assign it a letter of J or higher - it is the lower letter drivenames that it plays around with. The higher letters will be maintained iven if you plug it into a different USB port.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
31 Mar 2013 3:35PM

Quote:I shoudlhave added last time that if you find the problem is that Windows is relabelling an external drive you can rename it manually, but make sure you assign it a letter of J or higher - it is the lower letter drivenames that it plays around with. The higher letters will be maintained iven if you plug it into a different USB port.

That's good to know, Mike. Where do you learn those obscure but valuable pieces of wisdom?
Phil_Restan 9 280 9 Scotland
31 Mar 2013 4:22PM

Quote:I shoudlhave added last time that if you find the problem is that Windows is relabelling an external drive you can rename it manually, but make sure you assign it a letter of J or higher - it is the lower letter drivenames that it plays around with. The higher letters will be maintained iven if you plug it into a different USB port.

Thanks Mike, that's really useful info, I get that problem regularly with my back up drives, they get renamed and my back up program fails. I'll now rename them and see how it goes

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.