Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom presets

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 10:11 AM

Just been browsing through some of the features in LR4 and came across the various `presets' in the Lightroom Exchange. Does anyone use these?

Any advice as to which might be suitable for a `beginner' (Lightroom, that is)? Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jun 2012 - 10:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 10:41 AM

I use Jeffrey Friedl's export to Picasa/Google+. Works very well. I'd like to see what anyone else recommends as I haven't really explored this much.

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi!
Thanks for this - I've just downloaded these and will be trying them out to see how they work. I did download some a year or so ago from a Scott Kelby website and I've used these from time to time, as well as the standard presets which come with Lightroom.

As far as advice for Lightroom is concerned, I taught myself with the Scott Kelby book "Lightroom 3 book for digital photographers" and found it excellent. The most important thing is to get the system for importing correct at the beginning - Scott Kelby explains all of this in detail in the beginning of his book.

If you don't have the book, my only advice is to get it!!
Ann

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks, Ann

Something I'll need to do.

I've mastered the very basics, and am moving on to all the `nice' bits ...I have a downloaded book, which I need to sit down and work through Sad...very much a hands on sort of person, as my concentration lapses very quickly Sad

Would be pleased to hear of any you recommend Smile
jeff

cats_123
19 Jun 2012 - 1:09 PM

just had a quick play Smile (after sorting out my unzip program!!! SadSadSad)

lightroom----ready-for-or-already-uploaded-.jpg

The lower part has been created using a preset called Omaha Beach [don't ask me why!!]....you don't seem to be able to preview multiple presets, so it's a little bit of trial and error, but I suppose once you've got the hang of what works it would be fairly easy to use/create a style......Smile

User_Removed
19 Jun 2012 - 2:10 PM

You can view multiple presets - although its a bit of a hassle. Simply create as many virtual copies of the image as you want and apply a diferent preset to each. They will all appear on the filmstrip and any pair can be compared side by side.

Best to regard the presets as starting points from which you can make further adjustments to suit your own taste.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 5:35 PM

The key with presets is not to have too many settings in each one - then build them up. Say have one for the standard camera preset. Then another for say colour modifications (Vibrance, Saturation, Clarity, HSL's) then one with different tone presets (I dont bother as I alter each one individually, via the tone curve).

If you have too many in a preset you can end up in a mess as the presets are cummulative.

My advice is make your own, then you know what each one setting does - unless you want to mimick another style. I downloaded a few mono ones - I dont use them as such but use them to see which have a potential for mono conversion.

User_Removed
19 Jun 2012 - 5:59 PM

Quote:
If you have too many in a preset you can end up in a mess as the presets are cumulative.

Really?

I didn't know that.

In fact, I thought the opposite - i.e. that each preset started from scratch.

Must go and check.

User_Removed
19 Jun 2012 - 6:08 PM

....back, having checked.

No, on my LR 4.1, the presets are not cumulative. For example, if I use the "Simply Classic" preset, it puts the Clarity to +9. If I reset and then use the "Nature Dust" preset, it puts the Clarity to +25. If I use the "Simply Classic" preset the clarity goes to +9 and, if I then use the "Nature Dust" preset without resetting, the clarity still only goes to +25 (not to +34, which it would if they were cumulative.)

...and just tried some more. For example, with Lightroom's own cross-processing presets, they each start from the default settings and do not act cumulatively.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 Jun 2012 - 6:13 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cats_123
19 Jun 2012 - 6:14 PM

thanks for the advice...will have to go away and play Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 1:27 PM

I just had an email through this morning from Onone Software - they have introduced a new free set of plug ins for Lightroom. All you have to give is your name and email address so they're worth downloading. The email sends you to what appears to be an exclusive "valued" customer offer. But you can find them on the Onone site just by going to the freebie area here: Onone Signature Collection Presets for Lightroom 4

mikehit
mikehit  46166 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 1:57 PM

Quote: ....back, having checked.

No, on my LR 4.1, the presets are not cumulative. For example, if I use the "Simply Classic" preset, it puts the Clarity to +9. If I reset and then use the "Nature Dust" preset, it puts the Clarity to +25. If I use the "Simply Classic" preset the clarity goes to +9 and, if I then use the "Nature Dust" preset without resetting, the clarity still only goes to +25 (not to +34, which it would if they were cumulative.)

...and just tried some more. For example, with Lightroom's own cross-processing presets, they each start from the default settings and do not act cumulatively.

I think presets working working on a RAW file in LR is different to presents working on a PSD/TIFF in photoshop is different. Because LR is non-destructive your latest 'action' (whether automated or manually moving a slider) 'undoes' the previous action. But PS is destructive and if you move a slider in PS and go back in, the next action builds on the previous action - think in terms of applying a brush where you 'build up' the effect in successive sweeps.
This is the impression I get from working in PSE, anyway so I may be wrong.

cats_123
14 Aug 2012 - 2:52 PM

Quote: I just had an email through this morning from Onone Software - they have introduced a new free set of plug ins for Lightroom. All you have to give is your name and email address so they're worth downloading. The email sends you to what appears to be an exclusive "valued" customer offer. But you can find them on the Onone site just by going to the freebie area here: Onone Signature Collection Presets for Lightroom 4

Thanks, Pete

will download and give them a try Smile

User_Removed
14 Aug 2012 - 4:40 PM

Quote: I just had an email through this morning from Onone Software - they have introduced a new free set of plug ins for Lightroom. All you have to give is your name and email address so they're worth downloading. The email sends you to what appears to be an exclusive "valued" customer offer. But you can find them on the Onone site just by going to the freebie area here: Onone Signature Collection Presets for Lightroom 4

It is an obvious marketing ploy to get you on to their spam e-mail list. But there is absolutely no reason why you cannot take advantage of the free presets download and then consign the e-mail to your blacklist spam folder so that all future communications are automatically consigned to junk.

The actual presets they give you look a wee bit extreme - but they might give you some ideas and, as stated earlier, you can use them as starting points and adjust to your own taste. The presets themselves take up very little disk space, so no harm in having them even if you rarely use some of them.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 5:11 PM

Quote: The actual presets they give you look a wee bit extreme - but they might give you some ideas and, as stated earlier, you can use them as starting points and adjust to your own taste.

Always the case - automatic is a good starting point and then subtle overrides to fine tune to your personal specs. The good thing about plug ins is someone has at some point thought "I wonder how you do X" and have adjusted sliders until they get what they think is X. They save the preset and it save you loads of time...also shows you things you may never have "wondered" how to do. So I'm all for them as starting points. Also a thing to bear in mind is a preset may work really well on one photo and be rubbish on another. It's all about experimentation.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.