Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightroom question - importing folder twice...

jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 1:49PM
Just a swift LR question - if I import a folder of raws, how do I 're-import' them the next time? I'm going to Library~Import~choosing the folder. LR finds them and shows the preview thumbnails, but I can't actually get them to import... That is, the previews are greyed out, and 'Check all' doesn't work.

I'm guessing that's because they're already in LR's catalogue, but can't seem to get round this - any ideas? Quite sure I'm being a numpty....

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
27 Jul 2011 2:00PM
Why do you want to re-import them ?

Basically, what LR is telling you by having them all greyed out is that they are already there.
Unlike some software you are not actually importing the RAW files into LR's catalogue, just adding them as a refernce, they are still in the same folder on the hard drive.... having said that, you can get LR to move them to a different folder / hard drive ( external )
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 2:21PM
maybe it is because you moved them from the original folder after importing into LR the first time? You can update the file location to "teach it " where there files are now and that should un-grey them.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 2:58PM
+1 for Scutter's comment.
If you imported into Lightroom then used Windows Explorer to move the files, then LR cannot find the original files so greys them out.

Another problem I found happens when you have all your photos on an external hard drive. Windows can sometimes randomly reassign the drive letter so for example F:\ becomes G:\. Lightroom is looking for drive F:\ and can't find it even though you are using the same USB port. You need to go into the Control Panel to reassign to F:. This is a real bugger when the letter reassignment means that most photos are assigned to F:\ and some assigned to G:\ even though they are on the same physical disc.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
27 Jul 2011 3:05PM
mmm

I took it that jimthistle was having the issue at the import stage, which is completely different to having the images, say in the Library module grid, greyed out which is what scutter & mikehit are offering an explanation of. For that, they are correct in what they are writing.
jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2011 4:28PM
Thanks for the replies - very much appreciated. After a quick play around, I think I have, indeed, just been being daft. Usually, I'll just import the whole folder, work on them, then export, all in one or two days, so hadn't really ever had to bring the images back into LR. On this occasion though, I had to import a few other folders for immediate work, so it took me a while to find the column on the left to re-open (rather than re-import) the first folder...

Looking in all the wrong places as always!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.