Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom sharpening.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Adobecs
    Adobecs  8114 forum posts England
    14 Mar 2011 - 6:55 PM

Hi,
    I have processed some images in Lightroom and sharpened them and they look fine and exported as jpg for the client. I was asked to clone out something at a later date, so opened the image in Photoshop. Again all looked fine until I zoomed in to 100%, the image looks dreadful. It is OK looking at the screen until zoomed, I have printed a copy and it looks OK, but the difference when zoomed in in LR compared to PS is quite a lot. I used to use PS for all of my editing, but now use LR but I think I prefer the sharpening in PS. Does anyone else have similar experiences.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Mar 2011 - 6:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    14 Mar 2011 - 7:17 PM

The sharpening algorithms in Lightroom 3 have been sharpened up (forgive the pun) a lot from previous versions.

The thing to remember is that sharpening is very destructive of pixels. That's why it should always be done last in the post-processing process - so that your other operations have as much data as possible to work with.

But one of the other huge benefits of Lightroom is that it never alters your Raw file. So, given a client who wants changes made, simply go back to the Raw image and re-process to meet his requirements, remembering to leave sharpening until last. (The sharpening in Lightroom is essentially similar to that from the Unsharp Mask in Photoshop).

User_Removed
    14 Mar 2011 - 7:20 PM

...and, of course, having re-read your original post, not only did you degrade the image by sharpening, you also degraded it massively by saving as a jpeg and then importing your jpeg into Photoshop.

Try opening up the Raw file again in Lightroom, revert to all original settings, do any normal adjustments from the top half of the Lightroom "Develop" module and then click the image tab, click "edit in Photoshop" do your cloning, and then either sharpen in Photoshop or save the edit-TIFF back from Photoshop to Lightroom and apply any sharpening in Lightroom to that edited image. Don't go near jpegs until you are fully processed and ready for a final export.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014144 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2011 - 7:22 PM

Following on from the above, everything in lightroom is held as a set of steps.
    So all you need to do is go to the history panel in the develop module and select a point before you did the sharpening.

Quote: I have printed a copy and it looks OK,

Well the sharpening must be OK then ??

swanseamale47
    19 Mar 2011 - 11:26 PM

Which version of photoshop do you have, the sharpening in CS5 and LR3 are essentailly the same (they share a processing engine) do you have export sharpening set in LR?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.