Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom v Photoshop - hope this hasn't been asked before

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    born2bongo
    born2bongo e2 Member 529 forum postsborn2bongo vcard England
    14 Jul 2009 - 11:31 AM

Though I've taken snaps for years, I'm just starting out to serioously develop my photographs. I'm used to using Photoshop for graphic design (web buttons, etc), but less so for photography.

I have acquired my (limited) developing knowledge either online or from photographers I know. The latter category amounts to 3 people, 2 of whom are augmenting their income from their work.

They all use Lightroom, and only Lightroom. Considering the large number of people who use Photoshop and similar tools, I wonder why. So far only one has commented, and he prefers the non-invasive editing of Lightroom.

It seems to me there is still a lot of stuff you can't do in Lightroom and you need Photoshop for, such as applying changes to a part of the picture only. Are they discarding photos they can't fix in Lightroom, or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Jul 2009 - 11:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
    14 Jul 2009 - 11:39 AM

Quote: such as applying changes to a part of the picture only

Not sure you correct here, I'm sure I have watched a Lightroom Video which did just this on the Adobe Website itself. They took sections of a landscape and adjust them independantly.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    joolsb
    joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jul 2009 - 11:46 AM

Yes, LR does selective adjustments now. However, if you're familiar with PS, it still offers a lot more power and flexibility. And, if you use adjustment- and smart-layers, pretty much everything can be done without affecting your original.

Choose the workflow which suits you best. PS for absolute control, LR for convenience.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    thewilliam
    14 Jul 2009 - 5:13 PM

I use both. LR is very convenient for weeding and making jpegs for the customers to view. Nikon Capture NX2 makes excellent tiffs and then PS gives the ultimate control when working on the customers' orders.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 14 Jul 2009 - 5:14 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    justin c
    justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jul 2009 - 5:42 PM

I also use both and as feature packed as Lightroom is, one thing you can't do there is Soft Proof your images prior to printing.

BernieS
    BernieS  5243 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Jul 2009 - 6:14 PM

I also use both - although I use PS less & less these days.

I find the database facilities of LR very useful - I can import a card full of images & back it up to an external drive in one operation. I can then rename the entire directory in one more operation.

The 2.3 LR upgrade was quite significant in terms of added functionality such as the local adjustment brush mentioned above.

For now I'm quite happy using both, but as Adobe keep adding features to LR, I can foresee the day when I no longer need PS.

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    14 Jul 2009 - 8:06 PM

Quote: I use both. LR is very convenient for weeding

I must have missed that!What will they come up with next? Software which weeds as well, unbelievable! Wink

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jul 2009 - 8:39 PM

Tell me more about Lightroom, please.
    jas

Edit: OK - I have read the spiel now, thanks.

Last Modified By Just Jas at 14 Jul 2009 - 8:46 PM
    Dave_Canon
    14 Jul 2009 - 8:49 PM

I used Photoshop CS3 and Bridge until 3 months ago but now have Lightroom 2.4 and Photoshop CS4. It is not essential for me to have Lightroom but would be if I was a professional Photographer. All of the editing that your friends mention can be equally done in Photoshop. Quite a few photographers I know are convinced that Lightroom has more editing features than PS but this is because they have updated LR but not PS. LR is a little easier than the Bridge for workflow and is much better if you need to search through thousands of files. I think it is fair to say that I now do about 70% of my editing in Lightroom but the same editing facilities are in Adobe Camera Raw in CS4.

Dave

born2bongo
    born2bongo e2 Member 529 forum postsborn2bongo vcard England
    15 Jul 2009 - 7:40 AM

I did some reading up and some experimenting last night, and I've found most of what I want in Lightroom. One tool I used recently in Photoshop that I can't find in Lightroom is the ability to straighten parallels on buildings and suchlike. I use Filter, Distort, Lens Correction and then tilt the vertical.

I know it's not a popular tool but used sparingly, and with care, it can be useful.

I can't see how to do this in Lightroom but if anyone knows different, please tell us

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96097 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2009 - 8:28 AM

Quote: I use Filter, Distort, Lens Correction and then tilt the vertical.

Not currently available in Lightroom.
    All you can do is user the "Ruler" in "Crop" mode to say straighten a horizontal ( horizon) or a vertical ( flag pole ), but this may mess up another vertical somewhere else in the frame Sad

Last Modified By JJGEE at 15 Jul 2009 - 8:30 AM
    Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2009 - 1:34 AM

This tool is available in Paint shop Pro Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.