Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightroom vs Photoshop vs Other... What do you use?

joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2011 10:27AM
Just wondering what you use and why?

I tend to stick with Photoshop as that's what I've always used, since first being introduced to it on Macs back when it was Photoshop 6!

Josh

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2011 10:35AM
Photoshop with Phase One C 1
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2011 10:39AM
Elements as i tend to process one shot at a time, if i batch processed then i think light room is better. LR3 has great noise reduction.
theorderingone 10 2.4k United Kingdom
21 Jun 2011 10:54AM
C1 v6.2.1

The noise reduction seems to have gotten a lot better in the last few updates and the workflow suits me perfectly, allowing me to process batches of images super-quick when needed.
TTT 13 559 Germany
21 Jun 2011 11:10AM
Aperture 3+Nik efx plugins, I can do all in one, organise, post process, export and print. Hardly use Photoshop anymore........
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Jun 2011 11:12AM

Quote:Lightroom vs Photoshop vs Other... What do you use?

Depends on which part of post processing you mean. Raw Conversion? or?
Mayfly 9 485 2 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2011 11:13AM
ACR -> CS5. I process raw's in ACR then finish up in photoshop.Personally I Iike to use the synchronise function when I have a set of images as this helps with consistancy across the frames.
kclare 3 1
21 Jun 2011 11:36AM
Lightroom for years now - did convert to Aperture for a short spell when I became a mac user. Wasnt impressed. Do use elements for any additional enhancements occasionally. Bought DXO on a whim and enjoythr too.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2011 11:43AM
Digital Photo Professional for converting and managing raw files, Photoshop for certain effects and tasks.

If I dealt in 100's of images a week and needed more cataloguing and tagging abilities I'd possibly go for Adobe Lightroom but I much prefer the raw engine in DPP.
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
21 Jun 2011 11:50AM
I use Aperture, although I tend to agree with the previous poster to some extent. I think Aperture could do with a major upgrade, perhaps something as ground-shifting as the forthcoming Final Cut Pro upgrade is reported to be.

For anything that Aperture can't do, I use Pixelmator . I'll get a free upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out, which will include things like vector drawing, and context-sensitive fills. All good stuff.
ejways 7 4 Scotland
21 Jun 2011 11:57AM
I use Lightroom and sometimes Elements if I need layers
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2011 11:59AM
Input and cataloguing of all image files via LR3, which I also use for around 90% of my processing.
DPP (latest version) for occasional images where I can't get the colours I want from LR3
PSP12 for the odd play with layers
Very rarely CS5, for things like content aware fill and the odd bit of layer work

I try to keep post processing to a bare minimum so haven't taken the time to really explore what CS5 can do for me
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Jun 2011 12:04PM
Nikon ViewNX2, Nikon CaptureNX2, Capture One 6, Lightroom 3, Photoshop.

Well I like variety......Grin

Truth is my reasons are similar to Cole's, In that the program & subsequent processing can/does depend on the intention for the images/s.

So its a case of use whatever fits a particular image/batch or job.

Non of them are perfect, It would be great if they all got together and produced one program, With all the best elements & interface from the collective.....Grin

Thats about as realistic as the government sorting this country out by dumping the EU, As well as keeping their promises not to screw the NHS....Wink
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
21 Jun 2011 12:12PM
I bought Photoshop CS5 on a student licence for my son, best 150 I spent!

Andy
indemnity 6 331
21 Jun 2011 12:25PM
C1 pro & PSP X3u

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.