Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightroom XMP files - Assistance please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

110_TURNER
21 Jan 2013 - 7:06 PM

Hi

I listened to a lecture on Workflow last week and have decided to follow the gents suggested file structure - to move stuff around from my present file structure I will loose all the development work I have done in the past - that is before I ticked the "update to XMP" box immediately after the lecture.

So - what I want to know is - will it be sufficient to just open and close individually all my images that have been devleoped prior to last week in order to update the XMP file with all the development adjustments I have made - or is it more difficult / impossible to capture all my work if I choose to continue with a file reorg?

regards

David

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2013 - 7:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014176 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 7:12 PM

Quote: is it more difficult / impossible to capture all my work if I choose to continue with a file reorg

If you do the reorganisation within lightroom then you should not have a problem.

Alternatively if you select all your pictures the choose metadata> save metadata to files it will write all the changes back to the xmp files which you can then move how you like.

110_TURNER
21 Jan 2013 - 7:20 PM

Thats the one I am looking for thankyou very much Lobsterboy

regards

David

JJGEE
JJGEE  96355 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 7:28 PM

Quote: to move stuff around from my present file structure I will loose all the development work I have done in the past

I do not believe that is correct.

All the development work ( history ) is in the Lightroom Catalog .... the .lrcat file

So as long as you can " point " Lightroom to the Catalog's location you should be OK

Railcam
Railcam  8481 forum posts Scotland
21 Jan 2013 - 8:59 PM

All your existing adjustments are recorder in the LR catalogue. Writing the information to .xmp files is just wasting disc space.

Re-arrange your files within the LR Library module and LR will keep track of your adjustments within the catalogue.

Keith

mikehit
mikehit  56746 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 9:10 PM

I have considered reorganising my file structure then I ask myself 'Why'. The whole point of LR is that the files can be all over the place but if the keywords are organised in a hierarchy it does not matter because you will look at photos based on the LR catalogue. Ditto for creating collections.

Did the lecturer say why he moved files around? Are you sure he was talking about files and not the catalogue structure?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014176 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 9:21 PM

Quote: I ask myself 'Why'

Well if it is all over the place it would make backup a lot easier if you put them in one standard structure....

mikehit
21 Jan 2013 - 9:46 PM

As an example, all my photos are on a single external HDD, with all my photos in date directories. Will organising them into (for example) categories by subject make back up easier? Admittedy if you have some photos under 'documents', others under 'Photos', or 'shared photos' for example, then reorganising would benefit but I suspect the OP is talking about something different.

David - what sort of file structure has he suggested?

The only thing I can think of is if you want to open an image in Photosop without going through LR first, it is easier to find the image but that would rely on the image being in the folder you expect (for example is a lion under 'Lion' or 'Africa').

lobsterboy
21 Jan 2013 - 9:54 PM

Quote: As an example, all my photos are on a single external HDD, with all my photos in date directories.

Then they are already organised Wink

Quote: Will organising them into (for example) categories by subject make back up easier?

Nope - would make it harder I should think and 1 picture can be in more than 1 category then it would only make things worse.

mikehit
21 Jan 2013 - 10:01 PM

That's what I was thinking - which is why I was wondering what the presenter had suggested.

As I am typing this, I recall someone saying they move their 'work in progress' to a different directory. So all their raw files are together, then all their TIFF/PSDs are in another, and all the completed work is in another. Maybe that's it...

JJGEE
JJGEE  96355 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 10:15 PM

Quote: As I am typing this, I recall someone saying they move their 'work in progress' to a different directory......

I use the colour labels for that.

Everything is on an external hard drive named Lightroom.
This has the catalog, previews and a folder structure Year>Date_Location for the image files.

This makes backups quite easy.... just backup the whole external hard drive.

lobsterboy
21 Jan 2013 - 10:18 PM

Quote: As I am typing this, I recall someone saying they move their 'work in progress' to a different directory. So all their raw files are together, then all their TIFF/PSDs are in another, and all the completed work is in another. Maybe that's it...

Could be - sounds like the system recommended in The DAM Book: you put your raws in a separate folder as you only need to back them up once. Where the others change regularly and need more frequent backups.

Personally I use 2 folders ( with dated sub folders) working and archive. The current stuff goes in to working, then once a month I move the previous month to archive having culled, keyworded and classified them first.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 21 Jan 2013 - 10:21 PM
110_TURNER
21 Jan 2013 - 10:49 PM

The presenter was suggesting a date oriented structure - one that is recognised by "any" computer in the event that an editing package you are using disappears from the market several years down the line. The structure was for example (each being a folder) 2009 (year) 05 (month) then numeric date on which the images were taken.

Images were copied from card into the required folder and then as part of the import into LR appended with a title line and sequential number

This bit I am not 100% on this bit but I think you would then end up with am image called

2009_05_14_Dambuster Anniversary Flight_001.CR2

He then uses smart colections acting upon keywords to get to exactly what he is after even though he may not remember which date they were taken.

His argument was that at any point in the future his children or grandchildren could dump the files into a computer which would sort into a recognisable order and allow basic searching at least from a text point of view even if the idea of keywords was no longer in existance.

Well thats my understanding of what I heard and it seemed sensible to me

David

mikehit
21 Jan 2013 - 11:00 PM

I have seen that sort of naming - to me it seems fine for someone who goes out to shoot one specific thing a lot of the time so they come back with one card full of (for example) 500 airshow shots and you can set up the import to prefix all shots with the same text (2009_05_14_Dambsutter Anniversaryflight_ ). I will do this for example for holiday photos but in general I am more of an opportunist and my card can build up a real hotch potch - 5 shots of birds with 30 shots of lock gates on Monday, 50 flower macros from Saturday, 100 sunrise on Sunday etc and putting prefixes to that mix would be more awkward than adding keywords.

It is interesting though to see different solutions to this common problem.

110_TURNER
21 Jan 2013 - 11:31 PM

I can be either way on that one - sometimes a big batch all on the same subject and the next outing comeback with a few on several subjects - and then I have to use some other viewer to see what needs sorting where - or they (too easily) get dumped in a miscellaneous folder.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.