Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

lightroom5 kill my C drive

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    TripleBlue
    11 May 2013 - 6:19 PM

Can anyone shed any light on this its doing my head in, I open up lightroom and open a folder start to go through raw photos and im watching my C drive drop and drop and drop ???? Its like every photo I open its eating up space on the drive only in lightroom

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 May 2013 - 6:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TripleBlue
    11 May 2013 - 6:24 PM

Sorry the heading should of been lightroom 5 killING my C drive

Phil_Restan
    11 May 2013 - 6:29 PM

When you say you go through your raw files what are you actually doing with them. If you are editing them and sending them to other software such as Photoshop cs /elements lightroom will be producing a Tiff file from the raw with the edits, so it would be using more disk space. Just a thought'

Phil

TripleBlue
    11 May 2013 - 6:43 PM

Hi Phil all im doing is opening up lightroom opening a folder from one of my external drives to browse photos I would like to work on in lightroom

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    11 May 2013 - 6:47 PM

Quote: Its like every photo I open its eating up space on the drive only in lightroom

Yup it would do, every time you view a picture Lightroom creates a preview file.

lemmy
    lemmy  71762 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 May 2013 - 3:36 PM

Quote: Its like every photo I open its eating up space on the drive only in lightroom

It's as lobsterboy says. Don't forget that Lightroom does not work with your original image file, it is a database. It imports copies of your files into the catalog(ue) and works with them there.

You can save disk space if you really have to by altering the size of the previews it generates. If you generate a minimum size preview you will use less space but generating a 1:1 view will be done on the fly which can be quite slow.

Browsing a folder and working on files is not really the way that Lightroom works best. Using it like Photoshop, rather than the database it really is, is very wasteful of space. The USP of LR is the very fact that it never works with your originals.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.