Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

lightroom5 kill my C drive

11 May 2013 6:19PM
Can anyone shed any light on this its doing my head in, I open up lightroom and open a folder start to go through raw photos and im watching my C drive drop and drop and drop ???? Its like every photo I open its eating up space on the drive only in lightroom

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 May 2013 6:24PM
Sorry the heading should of been lightroom 5 killING my C drive
Phil_Restan 9 280 9 Scotland
11 May 2013 6:29PM
When you say you go through your raw files what are you actually doing with them. If you are editing them and sending them to other software such as Photoshop cs /elements lightroom will be producing a Tiff file from the raw with the edits, so it would be using more disk space. Just a thought'

Phil
11 May 2013 6:43PM
Hi Phil all im doing is opening up lightroom opening a folder from one of my external drives to browse photos I would like to work on in lightroom
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 6:47PM

Quote:Its like every photo I open its eating up space on the drive only in lightroom

Yup it would do, every time you view a picture Lightroom creates a preview file.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
13 May 2013 3:36PM

Quote: Its like every photo I open its eating up space on the drive only in lightroom

It's as lobsterboy says. Don't forget that Lightroom does not work with your original image file, it is a database. It imports copies of your files into the catalog(ue) and works with them there.

You can save disk space if you really have to by altering the size of the previews it generates. If you generate a minimum size preview you will use less space but generating a 1:1 view will be done on the fly which can be quite slow.

Browsing a folder and working on files is not really the way that Lightroom works best. Using it like Photoshop, rather than the database it really is, is very wasteful of space. The USP of LR is the very fact that it never works with your originals.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.