Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lightweight tripod

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73846 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2012 - 11:52 PM

I'm looking to get a very lightweight tavel tripod, but it must be stable, capable of handelling a Nikon D700 + 16-35 or 24-120. I have a Gorillapod and its just not stable enough (OK for Olympus Pen + standard lens). But really needs to extent to at least 4ft.

I will want to do a few long exposures (2-5 mins) so it has to be robust.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Dec 2012 - 11:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper
Snapper  93731 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2012 - 12:06 AM

You could do worse than starting with this list, but lightweight and stability for 5 minutes don't really go together unfortunately.

Last Modified By Snapper at 29 Dec 2012 - 12:08 AM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73846 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thanks Peter. I currently use the Manfrotto 055, but i've been told in no uncertain terms I'm not taking it!! (tho I might just buy the Carbon Fibre version when I get to the US), I will then have to juggle the baggage coming back.

Any other suggestions?

Nick_w
29 Dec 2012 - 1:02 AM

What about this one? anyone have any experience?

http://www.giottos-tripods.co.uk/index.php?page=productpage&product=4b83be91...

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 - 1:05 AM

Giottos Vitruvian carbon is excellent. Very light, compact yet strong and the ball head can take D700 with big lens easily.

Nick_w
29 Dec 2012 - 1:08 AM

Thanks Gary

User_Removed
29 Dec 2012 - 9:54 AM

Quote: .................. but lightweight and stability for 5 minutes don't really go together unfortunately.

As snapper says. There just isn't any such thing as a "very lightweight travel tripod" that will give you the stability you need. The 055 carbon fibre version is certainly lighter than the standard version but by no stretch of the imagination could it be described as "very lightweight".

When travelling abroad, you will need to put your tripod into your checked luggage suitcase as most airlines will not let you include it as carry-on baggage (for very obvious reasons). In fact, a tripod like the 055 takes up very little space in a suitcase it really is only a question of whether it will take you over the weight restriction.

Another tip: If you have a tripod in your suitcase, be extra sure not to lock it. All airline luggage is now X-rayed and when the x-ray shows an object such as a tripod, it is very likely that the security staff will do a manual check on the luggage contents. If your baggage is locked, they simply force it open. For flights in USA, you can buy special luggage locks that can be opened by US security staff (but not, allegedly, by dishonest baggage handlers) but I don't think that UK security staff routinely have the necessary key.

Nick_w
29 Dec 2012 - 10:55 AM

I realise I will have to compromise, the extreme long exposures will be the bit that gives.

Thanks for the heads up re security. I will buy when in the US, for one its cheaper.ans 2 I'm staying 50 yards from a lathe B&H superstore. Does anyone have any experience of the following?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687335-REG/Oben_AC_1410_BA_0_AC_1410_Alumi...

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7534 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have a Velbon Ultra Rexi L - it's very light and packs down small but it's very stable. I'm delighted with it - the head on mine is most of the weight but I use a smaller head when travelling.
Also much cheaper than CF and just as good IMO.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2012 - 2:11 PM

Giottos carbon fibre are excellent. Got mine for Christmas last year and have to say it is the best tripod I have ever had.

MTL8350B
MH5001 3-Way Head

Worth a look here

I find this company very helpful and even travelled the 120 miles one Saturday to look at their range of camera bags (amongst other things).

RLB
RLB e2 Member 643 forum postsRLB vcard United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 - 3:02 PM

I have a Manfrotto 055 which is a great tripod, but to heavy for travelling so I bought a Velbon Ultra Rexi L - It's light to carry very compact & sturdy I have used my Canon 7 D +70/300 lens no problem & once you have got use to the twist & lock system after a couple of blisters on the hands you are up & running. Best of luck & a Happy New Year. Ray

wing
wing  10453 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 - 5:16 PM

Depending on your budget and intended use when you get back home Three Legged Thing are worth a look! A range of Tripods varying in price and made by photographers for photographers.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2012 - 10:09 PM

For its price you couldn`t get much better than this Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Traveller-Compact-Pro-Tripod/dp/B002L4ODDS/ref=sr_1...

keith selmes
29 Dec 2012 - 10:46 PM

Quote: I have a Velbon Ultra Rexi L - it's very light and packs down small but it's very stable

Same here.

Quote: once you have got use to the twist & lock system

Agreed.

I'm used to Benbo, which I prefer, but it's sometimes too heavy and especially too bulky. The Velbon twist grips are quite different, but OK with practice. It really is a much lighter and more compact carry, on public transport for example, and steady enough with a FF dslr and fast tele.

Tynnwrlluniau
Tynnwrlluniau e2 Member 439 forum postsTynnwrlluniau vcard Wales36 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 12:31 AM

Another vote for the Velbon Ultra rexi L. It's very strong for its size, incredibly compact and adjusts easily to full height without losing rigidity. The twist and lock legs (all sections can be locked or released by twisting the lower leg section only) take a bit of getting used to but it's an excellent buy. It's been reviewd by Pete under the kit reviews and i bought mine on the strength of that review and have not been disappointed.
HTH
Alun

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.