Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Ligtroom 3 question

MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
31 Oct 2011 6:30PM
I have rated 300 images in LR3 but I would like to know is it possible to export those ratings to another computer via USB stick etc running lightroom 3 so that I can upload the images from CF cards to the 2nd computer and have them rated without having to do it again?

Cheers

Stu

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2011 6:34PM
Maybe try to copy and paste your last backup from the original to the second computer. You will have to see the originals in the same place so you don't get 'missing files'. Not sure if it will work as I've never tried it - just a thought, hope it helps.

Steve.
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2011 6:38PM
You could either Select all the images and save the metadata to them then when you import them everything you nave done in lightroom should be with them.
But it would be better I think to use File>Export as Catalog & then use File>Import as catalog on the other machine.

A few videos here
LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2011 6:43PM
As Steve says, the best way to do that is to have the original images held in a place both computers can access the original images, such as on an external or a NAS drive. Lightroom killer tips suggest holding a copy of the catalog in the cloud so that its accessible from both machines (and saves a lot of writing to and from the external disc if you locate it there) and saves having to transfer backups.
31 Oct 2011 7:14PM
Cheers for the quick replies, I shall try those and see how I get on. The other computer I will be using is at work and the original computer I rated on is at home so will look at the cloud option.

If I sort it I will post what worked here.

Thanks again

Stu
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2011 8:49PM
As lobsterboy says, you can back up your catalogue to a memory stick, then open LR3 on another computer and and update the catalogue using the catalogue 'back up' on the memory stick.

Downloading from a cloud would be against our internet/computer policy and could result in disciplinary action - in some companies even transferring files using a memory stick is forbidden. So for goodness' sake check your company policies carefully and make an informed decision.
31 Oct 2011 9:03PM

Quote:As lobsterboy says, you can back up your catalogue to a memory stick, then open LR3 on another computer and and update the catalogue using the catalogue 'back up' on the memory stick.

Downloading from a cloud would be against our internet/computer policy and could result in disciplinary action - in some companies even transferring files using a memory stick is forbidden. So for goodness' sake check your company policies carefully and make an informed decision.

Cheers Mike Smile I am ok to use things such as dropbox and memory sticks as my work machines are on a separate network to the main systems

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.