Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

live on £53 per week can YOU?

pabloisme 4 566 England
2 Apr 2013 10:59AM
this BRAVE and fearless MP thinks & SAID on the radio over the holiday,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21993453

THAT he can live on less than a fifth of his weekly dining allowance he get from parliament

Not happy with a six figure salary, PLUS mp's expenses, other goodies subsidised 5* dining and a wide choice of discounted wines in the MASSIVE parliament cellar, and (for London) cheap bar bills! he also has a house on his wealthy father-in-laws estate (his wife is individually wealthy in her own right! as well) plus his london living / housing costs........................

think he can?

sign here to see if he can live like the poor he represents, and has such a LOW thought for them!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/iain-duncan-smith-iain-duncan-smith-to-live-on-53-a-week

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
2 Apr 2013 11:07AM
If it is just for food / drink then perhaps one could get by on £53 per week.
That is, for a single person with no family commitments to provide for.

But if you then pro rata the yearly cost of electricity, gas, water, rates, mortgage, house insurance, travel to and from work etc. then perhaps it may just be a little difficult.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Apr 2013 11:09AM
I think a female MP, whose name escapes me, did try to live on benefits for a week a few years back - a publicity stunt of course. I don't think she did very well! Grin
jryans10 1 12
2 Apr 2013 11:09AM
I struggle to live on £70 a week from part time work and that's without any bills xD, don't know where my money keeps going Tongue.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Apr 2013 11:10AM

Quote:don't know where my money keeps going

Photography? Smile
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2013 11:13AM
Apparently the £53 is after housing and bills have been paid so has to over food, clothes, going out etc.

Quote:Not happy with a six figure salary, PLUS mp's expenses, other goodies subsidised 5* dining and a wide choice of discounted wines in the MASSIVE parliament cellar, and (for London) cheap bar bills! he also has a house on his wealthy father-in-laws estate (his wife is individually wealthy in her own right! as well) plus his london living / housing costs........................

What has that got to do with it ? The question is whether it is possible to live on £53 per week.

Quote:and has such a LOW thought for them

I don't understand that comment
LesJD 2 152 Wales
2 Apr 2013 11:19AM
IDS= Idiot Duncan Smith.
jryans10 1 12
2 Apr 2013 11:28AM

Quote:don't know where my money keeps going

Photography? Smile

Possibly Wink haha.
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2013 11:40AM
What he fails to add is out of that he will have to find bus fares to the jobcentre, Interviews. Is required under is new systems to have computer access which costs. the 53 quid is possible worth half that in food terms, I think you can manage for a week, with but over a longer period eating the total crap to survive will have effects not just on your well being but your mental state.
What's annoying about this is its another millionaire saying how the poor should tighten the belts.
2 Apr 2013 11:56AM
Here a good example of what its like to live on such an amount and this is someone that is working http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/life-on-benefits

Disposable income: Life at the sharp end

Charlie’s weekly income, based on that of a typical single working man in the bottom end of the low to middle income group of UK earners.

Salary: £111.42 (18 hrs a week on £6.19 minimum wage)

Housing benefit: £58.87

Council tax benefit: £5.36

Not eligible for income support, working tax credits, non means-tested benefits or jobseekers allowance.

Total: £175.65

* Housing benefit, council tax benefit, rent and council tax adjusted to reflect high London rents.

Source: The Resolution Foundation

On a budget: Charlie’s week

Saturday

With only £175 to spend, once I’d budgeted for rent (£100.50), gas and electricity (£7.10), water (£1.98), TV licence (£5.60), internet (£2.24), phone (£6.50) and transport (£20), I’m left with £31.08. Buy milk, coffee, pasta, chopped tomatoes, an onion, a carrot and cooking bacon for £4.78. Blow £4.20 on the Tube for a “night out” (manage to cadge a pint).

Sunday

£22.10 left. I eat yesterday’s pasta leftovers for lunch and a £2.50 pizza for dinner. Should have got a frozen one. Bread and ham for sandwiches for the week cost £3.60.

Monday

£16 left. Supplies of Sainsbury’s Basics crumpets I have been eating for breakfast run out.

Spend £5.77 on my last major shopping trip, getting ingredients for a chilli that will last me three days, and also some Basics cornflakes.

Tuesday

£10.23 left. Spend nothing on food but £4.40 on the Tube to have a drink with friends. They buy me a pint.

Wednesday

£5.83 left. Spend no money that I hadn’t already budgeted for, but run out of chilli.

Thursday

Really getting quite hungry by this point and the thought of another ham sandwich makes me feel sick. £2.20 on frozen pizza for dinner. Run out of bread and ham.

Friday

Decide to skip lunch and buy a decent dinner for £3.63. Can’t wait for Saturday
NaturesHaven e2
3 260 5 England
2 Apr 2013 11:59AM
Yes it is possible to survive on £53.00 per week..............I did many years ago (1980's) due to a change in my personal circumstances.............at one point I had 3 jobs on the go, I worked all the hours god sent and my disposable income was funnily enough 53 pound a week, all my other earnings went to pay the bills...........in circumstances like these I was determined to come out the other end on top.............I have never ever claimed a penny in benefits during my life time...........preferring to work.

I was brought up with a work ethic, all the family worked for what they had/have............being on benefits was seen as shameful (back then) how times and attitudes have changed...there is no shame now............GrinGrinGrin

During this bad time in my life I became quite creative with making food last.............making big stews with cheap veg that lasted me 3 days............ate at work, had enough money to feed my animals..........being up the creek without a paddle made me more determined to improve my lot............I did not blame anyone for my predicament..............s---t happens in life...........it's how we deal with it that is important............we are so quick to blame others in society now, it must be someone else's fault for my predicament.........it isn't!!! Politicians of any party are easy targets for the blame culture.......SadSadSad:

We are the masters of our own destiny..............if you find yourself in a pickle start engaging the old brain on how to get out the pickle.............it worked for me and I didn't resort to the benefit culture or the blame culture...........I learnt much about myself and others at that bad time I went through.............I'm still living, I came out of the other side much better for the problems I went through...........

So yes I agree with IDS - you can survive on 53 pound a week after bills/mortgages are paid etc..............I did it, people need to change their mind sets.................motivate themselves and don't expect others to do it for them..............GrinGrinGrin

Thanks for reading, some of you will not like what I've written but it is only my point of view and my true experience............GrinGrinGrin

Regards

Julia @Natures Haven
oldblokeh 3 922 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2013 12:04PM

Quote:What he fails to add is out of that he will have to find bus fares to the jobcentre, Interviews. Is required under is new systems to have computer access which costs... .

A friend spoke with a debt counsellor at the Citizens Advice Bureau to help restructure his finances due to the huge drop in income having been made redundant.

"You are going to have to discontinue the internet. Its classed as a 'Luxury' item by government guidelines, and therefore your creditors won't accept it as a justifiable expense."

His local library, which used to offer net access, got shut down.
oldblokeh 3 922 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2013 12:07PM

Quote:Yes it is possible to survive on £53.00 per week..............I did many years ago (1980's) due to a change in my personal circumstances

Which inflation-free planet have you been living on since?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Apr 2013 12:10PM
Let's take a step back on this. Surely the £53 a week is just a basic starting point? Does one not also get other "passported" benefits automatically?
2 Apr 2013 12:21PM

Quote:Yes it is possible to survive on £53.00 per week..............I did many years ago (1980's) due to a change in my personal circumstances......

Sorry Julia but that is the most stupid statement I've read.

petrol cost 28p a litre
a pint of beer was 35p
a pint of milk 17p
Bread 33p

Your 53 pounds was worth 200 pounds in todays market, that is not my definition of being in hardship

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.