Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Local Camera Clubs ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Bloggs
Bloggs  2313 forum posts England
16 Dec 2011 - 7:33 PM

Wow you guys really do reply to questions here on this forum and i very much appreciate it, thank you to everyone above for taking the time to reply. It's been enlightening to read and now makes me want to at least go and see whats going on at my local club.

Thanks very much again for your time and hopefully i will find a good club which will help me become a better photographer cheers all Sam Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Dec 2011 - 7:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64541 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2011 - 7:41 PM

You'll only find the right one for you when you've tried a few.

I've tried four clubs over the years and each one had a completely different feel to it. I ignored the one that was hell bent on winning gongs, and the one where your equipment was a measure of your talent and if you were female you were patronised or ignored, as well as the one where every member had one foot in the grave, mentally and physically.

My club is small, very friendly, everyone talks to everyone else and there's a good cross section of knowledge and experience. We go on outings, have talks and competitions and club nights where we talk about each other's work.

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
28 Dec 2011 - 6:16 PM

Quote: My advice? give a local club a trial, but stick with EPZ.

Yep go there and come here for the times when they seem dull.
Because everyone belongs a different camera club but all come together here as the biggest and dare i say best. And as I am sure has been said before (Hotel California) phrase.(Junior section please Google) or ask Fran

Graham

Last Modified By Graysta at 28 Dec 2011 - 6:16 PM
Bloggs
28 Dec 2011 - 8:15 PM

Yep Graham i think you are right, i'm going to join my local club and keep visiting here aswell and see how things go ? Thanks again Grin

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
29 Dec 2011 - 8:18 AM

remember the club rules (the ALL clubs rules)

5% want to be the BOSS and lord it and delegate (mrs bouquet style) spot them!

5% do the work ALL THE WORK

the rest just attend & agree cos it aint worth the arguing!

Bloggs
29 Dec 2011 - 10:13 AM

I'll keep that advice in mind cheers lol Wink

miptog
miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2011 - 10:38 AM

LCC (Local Camera Clubs) vary considerably, and the only way to see if it suits you is to try out your local one. Most allow a guest to attend FREE once or twice before they ask for a subscription/membership fees. A lot of activity can be centred around entering photo competition locally and nationally, as well as putting a panel together for submission to something like the RPS.

pabloisme
30 Dec 2011 - 9:15 AM

I will agree that the club comps are a fast track to improvement (if you are of a competative nature)

Bloggs
30 Dec 2011 - 7:43 PM

Thanks guys .... i'll let you know how i get on !! hoping to join one next week Grin

KBan
KBan  9457 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2011 - 9:27 PM

Join a camera club you will learns lots
keith

ray835
ray835  5149 forum posts Wales
30 Dec 2011 - 10:43 PM

when i first visited my local camera club, the first question i was asked was what camera have you got.so i told them i was using a %$&@ the chap replied we use %@&$. you can go and sit over there then was his reply.....

pabloisme
31 Dec 2011 - 11:41 AM

RAY; when I went to my last ever cc I was asked the same............ took out me leica,
then (the smartarse) said a lot of us use 2 1/4 sq I took the 2.8 rollei

only the youngsters talked to me.............

BUT they probably wanted to learn!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110369 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2011 - 11:47 AM

went to one, had a similar bad experience, including being asked to provide a portfolio of my work to see if I was of a suitable standard to join!
Then found my current club, which I have been with for many years - the difference was incredible, they were sociable, friendly, couldn't care less what kit you have (and always willing to share kit and knowledge) and worked together to improve our skills whilst having fun.
The best bit - we now frequently out-perform the first club in various inter-club and area comps Grin

So - its always worth having a look around and sample a few until you find one that suits you

Bloggs
31 Dec 2011 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the tips here guys i'll be watching what is said and how i'm treated before making any move to join. Wink

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2011 - 1:35 PM

I found that a camera club is really just a bunch of people who can get on for a evening once a week, enjoy sharing about photography and are prepared to all get involved and make it work for everybody. I'm now recognising our chairman and the team continually give of themselves to make it happen each week and they do this for the love of photography and their ability to hold a group together. Thinking about it now I'm very grateful for how they integrated me into the group, provided topics each week and improved my photography way beyond my expectations.
Thank you LCC.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.