Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Local Camera Clubs ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
22 Apr 2012 - 10:18 AM

Quote: Do the course and become a judge!

HOW ON earth do you become a judge via a course?

one can only judge on a personal view

usually 3 boxes

good [ ] = I wish I took that NO I REALLY wish I took that

try harder [ ] = means, I took one like that!

why bother [ ] = I hope I dont take one like that!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Apr 2012 - 10:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014024 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2012 - 10:26 AM

Quote: one can only judge on a personal view

usually 3 boxes

Ahh, but the course teaches you how to stretch that out to 2 minutes and spread that out across an entire evening..

pentaxpete
22 Apr 2012 - 11:50 AM

http://www.eaf.org.uk/index.php/clubs/club-locator.html
NEPHILIA -- click on this 'link' and you will find Clubs in your area -- I found one in Muswell Hill for example -- it is from the East Anglian Federation of the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain -- you are probably BETTER at 'Computer Stuff' than ME so will find it easy !

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51174 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2012 - 1:07 PM

If you do the course it gets you on the judging circuit! What you do after that is up to you which unfortunately many judges do.

Quote: HOW ON earth do you become a judge via a course?

You cannot become a CC judge if you have not done this course unless a CC invites you on an adhoc basis. I cannot see many people taking up this challenge as no one like to suffer at the hands irate club members!

Quote:

why bother [ ] = I hope I dont take one like that

!

No this is not how images are judged. Here is what a judge should be looking for. A good judge will use their experience while following these guidelines. If they don't then the options are not to have them back again and possibly make a complaint to the panel that selected them.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2012 - 3:06 PM

One judge at a club I belonged to didn't bother to critique my shot, he just said that the mount was not big enough, now on a 7" x 7" I thought a 5" border was big enough. But was very p*ssed that he didn't even mention the image. Another judge used the word rubbish in his "critique"? of a junior members shot. I am now not an active member. Besides that, it was getting pretty dull each week either being a competition or lecture & there was no sharing of knowledge or places to photograph, it seemed the norm to keep what you knew secret and new people coming along asking for help with cameras as they were new to photography were told that there wasn't time for that.

pabloisme
22 Apr 2012 - 3:18 PM

Quote:
Ahh, but the course teaches you how to stretch that out to 2 minutes and spread that out across an entire evening.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Wink

Quote: No this is not how images are judged. Here is what a judge should be looking for. A good judge will use their experience while following these guidelines. If they don't then the options are not to have them back again and possibly make a complaint to the panel that selected them.

should not a judge be allowed to make his (or/ if her probalbly will!) OWN mind up on what they see?

perhaps I muse: just like reading a film / resturant critic (or any other? like wine) who tells you what you shold like? and after reading some of the crass resturant critics meanderings across a skilled craftsman (OR in one case a badly ego loaded chef! reportedly excellent! eeeuk! alas after meeting a few and I note: they aint got many mates!)

nah BUT! do you buy wallpaper by what someone else says?

Last Modified By pabloisme at 22 Apr 2012 - 3:20 PM
janeez
janeez e2 Member 51174 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2012 - 6:37 PM

They will always make their own mind up of course but the winning entry should be because it meets all the criteria set out. I have seen images win competitions that I really did not like, however, technically they were exceptional, they had impact and they met the criteria of the competition. The judge clearly saw this and put them in the winning position. We have had some excellent judges and when choosing them it has been vital to ensure they don't favour a genre that would give some members an advantage.

In the past we have had judges who were appalling and a strong complaint was made once. This last season has been very good and the judges chosen with great care and 3 returning to us because of the great job they did previously.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2012 - 6:47 PM

Mmmm, we've had some super judges but the bad ones are a bit of a laugh really and a source of good fun gossip afterwards. One bloke was more interested in how we mounted our pics (which apparently weren't up to salon standard! Grin), and wasn't averse to illustrating his crits of our pics with examples of his own as comparison. That was a fun evening. Grin

(No, it wasn't you Ron Wink)

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2012 - 6:52 PM

My Camera Club ( Carrickfergus ) stopped using judges for internal competitions because of the standard of judging and went with members using voting slips and guess what it works much better as when the top images from the internal competitions then go on to external competitions our Clubs results improved.

janeez
23 Apr 2012 - 1:23 AM

We have critique nights which are immensely popular. We each bring 3 images. Separate tables are numbered, say 1-9 and an equal number of images are put on each table which are also numbered, say, 1-5. So for table 1 on each image we have T1 and the image number. The members organise themselves into groups for the amount of tables of images. For each group there is a record sheet for every table and we give a score from 0 to 5 for each image on that table. 5 is a rarity, the images have to exceptional to get top marks. We have about 4 minutes to critique and mark each image before moving onto the next table until we have been all round the room and scored all the images. It is a highly entertaining evening and our very clever membership secretary (accountant) collates all the scores and gives the results at the end. (She also does loads of other clever stuff with percentages, averages, trends etc).

It's a lot simpler than I make it sound and if you would like to know more I would be happy to give you a far better explanation than this. Wink

pabloisme
23 Apr 2012 - 7:11 AM

HOW democratic Eastlands!

I once had a few (OK a lot!) of beers with a galley manager/owner when buying "ART" photos was just not really done (like now?)

his criteria was lowest common denominator sells,

BUT when you go round an ehexibition show galley dont you use this rating?

why bother [ ] = I hope I dont take one like that

& still think the best way!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2012 - 12:55 PM

We had a comp last night and I don't know if I'm doing something drastically wrong or what. I presented this image Chevvy which scored very well on EPZ (and not just from mates either), but got rubbished in the club comp because of the dark edges. Pics of fuzzy lighthouses, boring scenery and flowers ran away with the marks - again.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet but everyone was moaning because he was making such silly comments - (he thought I must be (a) a bloke, (b) rich, because he assumed I must have gone to the US on hols and (c) that I snapped the car while I was there. I also put my Onion picture up and he wondered why I'd converted it to b/w, and that I must be Chinese because the onion was round the wrong way. It should go from left to right apparently.

Judges like these give clubs a bad name. Or perhaps he was right and the images are rubbish. Any feedback gratefully received, or if you're the judge reading this - resign. Grin

LesJD
LesJD  2145 forum posts Wales
25 Apr 2012 - 1:12 PM

I feel your pain Slowsong, especially for the onion shot. A panned motor cycle racing shot of mine got slated by a judge simply because it was going right to left in the frame. I thought this was a ridiculous thing to say given that the direction of travel is not exactly something that I could have done anything about.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014024 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2012 - 1:51 PM

Such is the joy of judges - all part of lifes rich tapestry. Sometimes the mader they are the more fun it is Smile

I was once told that my abstract picture had "no context" - I kind of thought that was the point. The Chevy image looks pretty good to me - but then I'm not a judge, so what do I know Wink

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110171 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2012 - 1:59 PM

You have my sympathy both of you but I've come to believe that Photography Judges have as much right to be wrong as the rest of us Grin

One thing I've learnt is not to invest too much emotional baggage in any shot that I put into a competition (whether at a club, in an area comp or magazine comp)

What blew it out for me was an entry into a magazine comp many years ago, with the subject "Abstract" (with a very nice camera as a prize). The judge rated mine as "the best entry which matched the subject in every aspect" but that he preferred a close-up shot of an elephant's face (non-abstract). So I only got 2nd place (and no prize)

I try to wind up judges these days and know I've won when I get comments such as "I don't know what to say as I'm not sure what it is I'm looking at!" Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.