Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Local Camera Clubs ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2012 - 2:27 PM

Quote: I try to wind up judges these days and know I've won when I get comments such as "I don't know what to say as I'm not sure what it is I'm looking at!" Wink

Yes, I sometimes deliberately put in an odd one or two just to get them going. Such fun. Grin
I wasn't bothered about the low scores but I am bothered about the calibre of judges, especially those that can't, or won't, keep up. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Apr 2012 - 2:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
26 Apr 2012 - 7:21 PM

I hate it when judges feel the need to make up time by talking about stuff other than the photo itself. I had a judge say that I must be rich, as I had a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge, so I must have holidayed in America, right? In fact it was one day off from a very hard working business trip.

I had another judge see the same shot and couldn't work out which side was England and which was Wales....

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110265 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2012 - 8:42 PM

My pet peeve is the "Done it in Photoshop" judge. They either tell you how you should have done it better in photoshop or better yet, claim to see where its been "Shopped" when its a print direct from a negative (we still have some "proper" photographers in our club Wink )

Big Bri
26 Apr 2012 - 11:13 PM

After saying that, I just got home from camera club with another trophy, so not all judges are useless Wink

Big Bri
26 Apr 2012 - 11:14 PM

Quote: My pet peeve is the "Done it in Photoshop" judge. They either tell you how you should have done it better in photoshop or better yet, claim to see where its been "Shopped" when its a print direct from a negative (we still have some "proper" photographers in our club Wink )

I had a judge look at one of my photos (that consistently scores 10) and say that the fantastic sky behind the castle "must be real, because nobody would go to the trouble of recreating the castle and sky in the lake in front, then adding all the ripple back in".
Wrong. Wink

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
27 Apr 2012 - 11:08 AM

Quote: I had another judge see the same shot and couldn't work out which side was England and which was Wales....

clue sheep and wellies on the taffy side! (is that argentina? lot of taffies there!)

it seems most judges are of the mature standing (OLD gits) and struggle to understand new technology NO?
BUT a picture is a picture regardless of what was done, it apeals or it is a "why did they take that" in a sort of black & white way?

BUT I think we have all made the point that "voting" for each print by the members is best..
takes the FULL idiot out of the equation and leaves it as:-

the winner is the one who's mediocrity meets the mass criteria aproval BUT NOT nessacerily the best pix?

think the formula is winner = members / idiots * legible voting slips / rainy evening (*good looking birds) ?
unless you know a better one? oh I forgot 2 pints please!!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 11:10 AM

Quote: think the formula is winner = members / idiots * legible voting slips / rainy evening (*good looking birds) ?
unless you know a better one? oh I forgot 2 pints please!!

Now that'd be a club evening worth going to (*but hunks instead of birds though - fat chance). Grin

Big Bri
27 Apr 2012 - 11:48 AM

Quote: clue sheep and wellies on the taffy side! (is that argentina? lot of taffies there!)

er... it's in San Francisco.....

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
28 Apr 2012 - 7:51 AM

Quote: er... it's in San Francisco....

can see you are a club member! Wink

the comment was put as a joke, BUT like a club judges joke, fell apon stoney

mmmmmmmmmmm

Quote: (*but hunks instead of birds though - fat chance).

WOULD FAT DO?

Big Bri
28 Apr 2012 - 9:17 AM

Quote: the comment was put as a joke, BUT like a club judges joke, fell apon stoney

mmmmmmmmmmm

ah, I see. it was about as funny as a club judge's joke, that's why I didn't realise.

Wink

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110265 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2012 - 10:07 AM

I feel I must say a few words in support of judges down here in the SAPA and Southern Fed region. I reckon better than 80% of them are switched on to current technology and style, give useful critique when commenting and don't waffle on too much. I usually mentally score the images before the judge gives a score and reckon to be within +/- 1/2 a point most of the time.

(Of course there are some incompetents - as witnessed by the fact that I don't always get 10's! Wink )

Mark_Ewington
28 Apr 2012 - 10:30 AM

Quote: I try to wind up judges these days and know I've won when I get comments such as "I don't know what to say as I'm not sure what it is I'm looking at!" Wink Yes, I sometimes deliberately put in an odd one or two just to get them going. Such fun. Grin
I wasn't bothered about the low scores but I am bothered about the calibre of judges, especially those that can't, or won't, keep up. Smile

Yep, the same thing happens here in New Zealand, I put stuff in to "play" with the judges mind, often they seem to "struggle" with my photo's ... I put them them in so that they are in "the judges face" ... no sense in putting in an average photo, might as well challenge the judge (and a lot of the other members), as at the end of the day it's all subjective (and I am in the 'A' Grade - top of the food chain) ... and with projected images always it's good to see something on the "big screen" rather than on a monitor ...

Just me 2 cents worth ... Grin

Big Bri
28 Apr 2012 - 10:35 AM

Apparently the Southern Fed rules are changing so that the judge will be given the image title, so they won't have to guess as much I supposed. Unless you make the title cryptic as well Smile

brian1208
28 Apr 2012 - 11:25 AM

Quote: Apparently the Southern Fed rules are changing so that the judge will be given the image title, so they won't have to guess as much I supposed. Unless you make the title cryptic as well Smile

Even more opportunities for mischief! Grin

sausage
sausage  10241 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 - 8:39 AM

We had one judge once that obviously favoured black and white images. When a colour image was shown he would say 'I wonder if this would be better in B&W' ........!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.