Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Gillygems
    Gillygems  332 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Jan 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can take dusty interior shots (my home apart!)? I'd like to explore inside disused theatres/cinemas, factories and churches. T
    I know there's occasional Open Days in such places but I'd love to shoot inside such buildings but don't know of any. I live in North Wales but Merseyside and Birmingham areas are also within easy reach.
    Thanks for your help,
    Cheers,
    Gilly

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jan 2013 - 10:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2013 - 12:03 PM

Unfortunately these derelict places which are highly photographic are health and safety hazards and normally secured so there are unlikely to be any open days or official ways of doing it , however there are hundreds of sources of information on where these places are found by a simple internet search on derelict 'xxxx' place town name here ....

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2013 - 12:39 PM

Take a look here or here for some location ideas. As pulsar69 has said, the issue with access to these places is usually the health and safety aspect, which is why Urbex really exists. My view is that the best places for such things are places that 'mothballed' and are likely to re-open in the future, as you may be able to gain legitimate access without the H&S being such a hurdle.

MartinBrown
    MartinBrown e2 Member 4118 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
    29 Jan 2013 - 2:58 PM

One of my main specialities is Urbex. If your in Wales you have a massive asylum called Denbigh and just round the corner from there Pool Parc.

One site that i help run is TalkUrbex. But in all fairness and as others have said if you have never down anything like this i would recommend you go with someone that knows how these places behave. I have fallen through floors on many occasions and the places are usually full of asbestos so an FP3 mask is highly recommended. Have a look at my portfolio for some ideas.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/martinbrown-131062

If you are really serious i will give you some locations, access details and things to be careful off.

Last Modified By MartinBrown at 29 Jan 2013 - 3:00 PM
    pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2013 - 4:59 PM

Those who specialize in and run sites involved around illegal activities normally keep it to themselves and a little hush Wink

Gillygems
    Gillygems  332 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Jan 2013 - 5:09 PM

Thanks for all your comments. I certainly wasn't looking at going anywhere illlegal but more " mothballed" properties and places with occasional open days such as those offered by English Heritage and similar organisations - perhaps I'd be better sticking to museums!

MartinBrown
    MartinBrown e2 Member 4118 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
    30 Jan 2013 - 7:45 AM

Quote: Those who specialize in and run sites involved around illegal activities normally keep it to themselves and a little hush Wink

Tresspassing is a civil matter, not a criminal one! Providing you dont break in anywhere or carry any tools you can not be prosecuted - however you may asked to leave.

p12owe
    p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 9:03 AM

Quote: Those who specialize in and run sites involved around illegal activities normally keep it to themselves and a little hush Wink

I suspect the law around trespass is deliberately kept a little muddy to confuse people (a bit like the laws around photography in public places). Martin is quite right that trespass would in nearly all cases be a civil matter, as long as it cannot be proved that there was any intent to commit a crime whilst on the premises. Any civil prosecution would put the onus on the property owner to prove that they had suffered financial loss as a direct result of the trespass.

As I understand it, there is one caveat to this though. Criminal Trespass under the Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 is a relatively new piece of legislation, which can incur a substantial fine and also I believe a short term of imprisonment! The law deals mainly with trespass on crown property and was intended to deal more effectively with protesters at MOD bases and government buildings.

I think I would leave any photography of such places, even if disused, until such time as they have been sold into the private sector!

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 30 Jan 2013 - 9:12 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.