Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Location box

wasper e2
8 532 1 Ireland
22 Aug 2006 5:41PM
May I make a suggestion to the site designers, is to include a location box. As sometimes people don't insert the location of the photo. I am always curious about where was the photo taken.
Granted some people volunteer the info, but alot don't.
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

I have to admit to not voting on photo's because the photographer can't be bothered to fill in details of the location.
My feeling is, if they can't be bothered why should I.

A good description along with a good photograph gets my vote every time Smile
Merl
DiegoDesigns 8 117 6 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2006 7:39PM
Isn't it a little churlish not to vote on a shot that you may consider to be perfectly good, because the author hasn't told you where it is? Surely a simple request in your comment would be enough. I like to provide lots of information with my submissions, but would not deny someone positive feedback simply because of their omission.

I do think a 'Location' box would be of benefit as although there is a Photo Locations page, it can't show everything.

Dave
maljohns 10 431 Wales
22 Aug 2006 8:13PM
Wouldn't a location box only apply to landcapes though?

Quote:Isn't it a little churlish not to vote on a shot that you may consider to be perfectly good, because the author hasn't told you where it is

Absolutely - it's my Victor meldrew syndrome - I'm afraid there's no cure for it.

As I say if the photographer can't be bothered, why should I?
22 Aug 2006 8:17PM
I think it would apply to aminal shots too. I just put in a question about where to photograph squirrels as I couldnt find a lot of information on portfolios. I wouldnt not click a good picture because I didnt know its location but its a good idea to fill in the loaction box so that others who really like the shot can get hints of where to go for certain subjects and viewpoints they might otherwise not know about. At the end of thr day it would be nice but you cant force people its going to be down to personal perference.

Quote:get hints of where to go for certain subjects and viewpoints they might otherwise not know about

You'll find some people are very possesive of their locations and you'd have to pull out their fingernails before they'd tell you where it was taken Smile
22 Aug 2006 8:28PM

Quote:You'll find some people are very possesive of their locations and you'd have to pull out their fingernails before they'd tell you where it was taken Smile

I have found actually people are very helpful if you take the time to ask them.
xwang 5 31 7
16 May 2009 11:20AM
I agree with wasper, I just saw some photos "located" on the map of Beijing, unfortunately they are not,because I'm from there.
Picture_Newport 6 659 19 United Kingdom
16 May 2009 11:33AM

Quote:Wouldn't a location box only apply to landcapes though?

I always try to include location info for my Landscape and Architecture images as this info in useful for others wishing to visit the area.

But as Malcolm implies, there is no need to state the location of a Studio Shot or Images taken in your own home.

Perhaps a 'Location Box' could appear once the 'Landscape' box has been checked.

Paul
Chrism8 8 752 14 England
16 May 2009 11:46AM
It's already there, at the bottom of the screen when you upload, granted many may not use it, I tend to put the location and other camera related info into the text with the image.

Chris
Anthony 13 5.6k 17 Scotland
16 May 2009 12:21PM
and you can choose the location from the map, and include the co ordinates as a direct link.

Anthony

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.