Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Locations in Scotland

colmar e2
7 42 35 Scotland
30 Sep 2009 8:41AM
I am Scottish exiled in Kent and heading home for a week in October, I have various thoughts of where I want to go to take photographs, however I would welcome any suggestion for locations anywhere in Scotland that maybe a local tog knows of that I don't. Any suggestions ?

Thanks for adding to the post I look forward to reading / discussing

Colin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
30 Sep 2009 9:03AM
For animal shots Iíd recommend here link Highland Wildlife Park

They have, IMO, the best Tiger enclosure in the UK (good sized, natural and ample viewing) with mum, dad & three 6 month old cubs

And if your timings right, in mid October they will be transferring Britainís only Zoo'd polar bear link (saved from shooting in Canada) from Edinburgh to its new home at the park, in what will be Europeís largest polar bear enclosure (this is going to be fantastic when the winter sets in and we can get shots of the bear in the snow)

Also Japanese snow monkeys, wolves etc

Itís by no means the biggest park nor is it festooned with funfairís etc (thankfully) but a good place to stop off for a few hours if heading north, its just outside Aviemore

My last visit was a couple of weeks ago and they have the army in doing improvements and getting the new enclosures ready but minimal disruption to visitors

Wrap up warm Smile
allan_j
6 46 Scotland
30 Sep 2009 10:54AM
hi hope you enjoy your holiday in october, first place would be loch lomond, millarochy bay, falls of falloch, second place would be rannoch moor heck you could spend a week there on its own!!!!
loch ard would be worth a visit, oh and skye aswell, enjoy your trip....

john.....
colmar e2
7 42 35 Scotland
30 Sep 2009 12:24PM
Roxpix, thank you for a wonderful suggestion, have checked the link and definitely worth a visit any time of the year. Now it is high on the list for October.

Thanks John for the suggestions, I have been many times over the Rannoch Moor and surrounding areas and agree a month might not even be long enough. We do plan an overnighter to Skye as well.
Not just looking for the "usual" suspects but any happenstance find too. Thanks also for your well wishes and the wrap up warm !
Colin
scotdiver e2
11 260 1 Scotland
30 Sep 2009 2:40PM
Drop off the M74 on the way up and have a look at the Clyde Valley around New Lanark.

The other route north from Tarbet, Loch Lomond over to Arrochar, Rest and Be Thankful, Glen Kinglass, Inveraray, then up over the back road to Loch Awe, and North either through Oban or back down to Dalmally, up Glen Orchy onto Rannoch.

Rob
daviewat e2
11 4.1k Scotland
30 Sep 2009 5:22PM
Pitlochry and Perthshire !!!!!!!!! colours are just changing now and beginning to look wonderful
AngieLatham e2
10 789 2 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2009 6:15PM
Take the road to loch lomond from Glasgow and follow it up past crainlarach (spellin) through to Rannoch Moor/Glencoe , then upto Skye via Fort William ,Loch Garry , loch duich etc. On the way back at Fort William, instead of going back through Glencoe, head down via Oban to Loch Awe and Inverary untill you meet Loch Lomond again at Tarbet.

In order you have:
Falls of falloch , Rannoch Moor/Black Mount etc , Blackrock Cottage, The Buchle , Glencoe, Glen Etive, Ben Nevis, Neptunes Staircase (caladonian canal) , Eilean Donnan castle , Skye (Elgol, Quiaraing , Portree , the fairy pools etc) , Castle Stalker ,Kilchurn castle and St. konan's Kirk (loch Awe) , Inveraray castle , The rest and be Thankfull valley , Arachar....the list goes on.

More magnificent views than you can shake a stick at......in a whole month!! Tongue
gm4zhl e2
5 13 Scotland
30 Sep 2009 6:56PM

Quote:Drop off the M74 on the way up and have a look at the Clyde Valley around New Lanark.

The other route north from Tarbet, Loch Lomond over to Arrochar, Rest and Be Thankful, Glen Kinglass, Inveraray, then up over the back road to Loch Awe, and North either through Oban or back down to Dalmally, up Glen Orchy onto Rannoch.

Rob

gm4zhl e2
5 13 Scotland
30 Sep 2009 7:01PM
I took that exact route a few weeks ago before heading home to shetland.. it poured o rain the whole time, a few days later [still raining] the road below the rest was blocked by an avalanch.. but if you get nice weather, it can't be beat..

geordie..
Chant57 e2
8 391 3 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2009 8:29PM
Bookmarking.
Some excellent suggestions, hoping to get up there in a couple of weeks. Thank you Angela for a very informative post, lots of places there are on our "want to do" list.
daviewat e2
11 4.1k Scotland
30 Sep 2009 8:37PM
Angie theres a whole middle bit to Scotland you have not seen yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Autumn forests and of course the grove(The Hermatige) at Dunkeld !!!!!!!!!!! full of fairies and warlocks etc Smile as well as the new and fun beatrix potter centre there as well Smile
AngieLatham e2
10 789 2 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2009 9:52PM
I know Davie but I can get forests and groves and shire type scenery right here in middle England....I go to Scotland for them big wild mountains! Smile

(your doing a lot of excimation marks these days Davie, you watch the old blood pressure Wink )
colmar e2
7 42 35 Scotland
30 Sep 2009 11:06PM
Thanks very much guys ... a lot of the places mentioned are already in my thoughts, a few I must admit were not. A lot of food for thought and weather and midgies permitting a lot of uploads for the epz gallery !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.