Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Locked monopod

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Scottishlandscapes
    Scottishlandscapes e2 Member 1068 forum postsScottishlandscapes vcard Scotland35 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2012 - 2:12 PM

I have a very old but very good monopod which has one section locked solid, this was caused when it was misused as a battering ram to free a car wheel stuck in ice. I think the olive on the section is welded to the section.

It's all my fault but I wondered if anybody knew of a tripod repair person?

Help Please SadSadSad

Dougie

Last Modified By Scottishlandscapes at 14 Nov 2012 - 2:13 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Nov 2012 - 2:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UKMike2013
    14 Nov 2012 - 2:27 PM

Considering that a decent new monopod from the likes of Manfrotto will only cost around 40 and that a decent repairer will be charging time at 50 an hour at least, it would seem the answer is to scrap it and start again.

Might be worth getting brutal with it first to see if you can free it up. Gentle heat on the outside part with a hot air paintstripper might just give enough expansion to free it (use gloves).

Scottishlandscapes
    Scottishlandscapes e2 Member 1068 forum postsScottishlandscapes vcard Scotland35 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2012 - 2:37 PM

Yes I might have to bite the bullet and get a new one, but you wouldn't want a 40 monopod for a heavy camera and lens.

Thanks for the thought though Mike.

Tooth
    Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2012 - 3:12 PM

Looks like you haven't got a leg to stand on Dougie Wink Smile

icphoto
    icphoto  131450 forum posts England
    14 Nov 2012 - 3:41 PM

Try a tin of 'shock to unlock' from Halfords, great stuff, works on most things, better than WD40.Wink

Scottishlandscapes
    14 Nov 2012 - 4:03 PM

Cheers I'll try the shock to unlock routeGrin

and Tooth I still have a leg buts it's kinda short.Wink

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53668 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2012 - 5:20 PM

Another idea is to freeze/heat the area and hope that that creates enough play in the joint. but i think the new one will be the real answer.

UKMike2013
    14 Nov 2012 - 5:25 PM

Quote: Yes I might have to bite the bullet and get a new one, but you wouldn't want a 40 monopod for a heavy camera and lens.

Thanks for the thought though Mike.

I'm not sure how heavy your camera and len combination might be, but the Manfrotto 290-3 section is rated up to 5 kgs for the 40 and their 557B (although this one is 80) is rated to 12kgs.

The Benbo 109 2 section with tilting head is rated to 8 kgs and is only 33

Just stick to the simpler designs with fewer sections and a 40 monopod is very capable of supporting most equipment that is still classed as portable.

UKMike2013
    14 Nov 2012 - 5:31 PM

Quote:

The Benbo 109 2 section with tilting head is rated to 8 kgs and is only 33 (Wex only rate it to 2kgs but Morris Photographic say 8kgs which seems more realistic)

Scottishlandscapes
    15 Nov 2012 - 8:56 AM

Thanks for all the help. I'll get a new one.

Dougie

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 9:02 AM

keep the old one in the car just in case you get stuck in a snow drift againTongueTongueTongueWinkSmileGrin

UKMike2013
    15 Nov 2012 - 6:40 PM

Good luck in your search Dougie.

PS - you have some fine pictures in your portfolio Sir.

Scottishlandscapes
    15 Nov 2012 - 6:42 PM

Thanks for your help and your kind comment Mike.
    Dougie

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.