Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Locking CS4 Panels Together

johnp 10 141 United Kingdom
28 May 2011 1:16PM
Hi
I wonder if anyone can advise on a CS4 problem that has me licked, please?
I have the Layers, History and Actions panels nested together (I'll call it LHA for short). I also have the Adjustments and Masks panels nested together (I'll call it AM).

On my desktop PC, the top of AM is in contact with the bottom of LHA. They are locked together. If I move LHA, AM moves with it. But if I move AM, it splits from LHA. As I move AM back to LHA they snap together.

Now for the problem bit.

On my laptop, I can make the screen look just the same BUT LHA and AM do not lock together. They live totally independently. It is most aggravating, especially as I use the laptop to run Photoshop courses.

Any ideas?

I've looked at my Preferences settings and they look the same on both devices

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Adobecs 8 114 England
28 May 2011 8:38PM
Hi,
I think I understand your problem. Try clicking and dragging on the blank space next to the three tabs in the layers pallet. This should separate them from the rest of the pallets. Once you have what you want, you can save your workspace if you go into the window menu and then workspace and save workspace, so if you lose track of it all you can revert back to your favourite workspace. I hope this helps.

Pat.
28 May 2011 9:18PM
Sorry, maybe I didn't explain properly. I WANT to lock AM and LHA together on the laptop. I want to be able, for example, to drag all my panels (AM and LHA) to one side in a single move. On the laptop I have to drag LHA then come back for AM, which is a pain!

Of course, I don't actually know which is the correct or default way of working! Maybe the laptop is right and the desktop PC is wrong! (or non-default).

I can't see that it's a workspace issue.

John
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
28 May 2011 9:48PM
Using a different workspace will have that effect. You just save one configuration in the one workspace and the second config in another. Switching workspaces has exactly the same effect as linking and dragging the windows.
28 May 2011 10:03PM
I don't want a clumsy workaround. I want both computers to work the same way. Not too much to ask for, surely?
It's quicker to move two panel groups than to switch workspaces.
John
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
29 May 2011 11:16AM
Why not copy your PC workspaces to a memory stick and overwrite the existing ones on your laptop?

The exact path will alter between machines depending on your Windows version, username and the exact version of Photoshop you are using, for example:

Users/[Username]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings/Workspaces

or C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\VERSIONNUMBER\Adobe Photoshop CS Settings\Workspaces

I'm not quite sure why you think switching workspace as suggested by others is so clumsy? When I switch to a workspace or alter it manually it's still like that next time I open the program.
29 May 2011 1:46PM
Look guys I'm grateful for your suggestions and I don't want to appear churlish or rude but I really dont understand this fixation on workspaces. I sometimes want to move the panels several times in the course of demonstrating a point to my classes. Switching workspaces under such circumstances is just not acceptable. The last thing I want to do is make photoshop appear "clunky".

I understand how changing workspaces can offer a workaround but that's all it is. In any case, what I have at present requires drag and drop twice on the laptop (once on the desktop pc) whereas changing workspace requires three clicks so not exactly a benefit!

John
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
29 May 2011 6:21PM
John either all of us are missing the point, or you are. I suggest you read the thread again.

What panels are linked to what other panels are all controlled by your workspace settings.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.