Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

London, October morning - ish...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    snapbandit
    5 Aug 2008 - 7:16 PM

I may have a morning/early afternoon to kill in London in October, I've a few ideas but would be grateful for any opinions or other venues to get some pics. (how easy are they to get to & what photo opp's are like)
    (will already have done the usual touristy stuff, London Eye, Bus tour, River cruise the day before)

Ideas I am considering so far are mainly the Imperial war museum, RAF museum London (Hendon), science/nat history museums, Aquarium (although may hit it the day before when at the 'eye'), .
    Any opinions on what they are like for pics.

Many thanks in advance for any replys...

Haven't been in London for about 15 years so don't know what's the latest, just web site ideas...

Joe B

Last Modified By snapbandit at 5 Aug 2008 - 7:17 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Aug 2008 - 7:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

snapbandit
    5 Aug 2008 - 10:27 PM

??????

London.....big city down south in England, just in case anyone has heard of it!

Wink

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2008 - 10:53 PM

Oh yeah, down the bottom on the right, right?

snapbandit
    5 Aug 2008 - 10:57 PM

That's the one Smile
    (although looks like not many have been there !!)
    Smile Smile Smile Smile

EnigmaPhoto
    5 Aug 2008 - 11:25 PM

Here are some suggestions:

Kew Gardens: £10 entry, just great when in season
    Butterfly House, Syon House: Not sure of entry
    Richmond Park: Free, Loads of deer but don't take a tripod
    Brick Lane: Loads of graffiti for urban stuff
    Camden Town: Urban stuff again with markets abound. Oh yeah... punks and goths too
    London Zoo: of course, but not my cup of tea

I'll think of some more. Smile

Edit: Based on your original post; Greenwich Naval or War thingy... lol

Last Modified By EnigmaPhoto at 5 Aug 2008 - 11:29 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    snapbandit
    5 Aug 2008 - 11:31 PM

Many thanks, I'll just have a minimal 'walkabout' Kit with me (D200, 18-200mm lens & sb600 flash), need to be back to Heathrow for flight at approx 7-8pm so need to be readily accessable for transport back there.

thought about the zoo, but would feel frustrated at not having other lenses with me so will probably not visit this time.

Joe B

rowarrior
    5 Aug 2008 - 11:32 PM

Okay, if we're going to play the serious card...

I find the architecture mixture around the Tower of London quite interesting. Will be down there myself for work Thursday/Friday this week and am hoping to sneak out with my camera on the Thursday night away from my 3 other colleagues, although with check-in at Glasgow at 5:40 am Thursday, I may be a little knackered for that!

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    rowarrior
    5 Aug 2008 - 11:36 PM

Quote: need to be back to Heathrow for flight at approx 7-8pm so need to be readily accessable for transport back there.

If you finish at the Tower/Tower Bridge area, you can get the Circle line from Tower Hill to Paddington and the Heathrow express from there, or the Circle line from Tower hill to South Kensington, change for the Picadilly line and go all the way to Heathrow that way

Last Modified By rowarrior at 5 Aug 2008 - 11:39 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    snapbandit
    5 Aug 2008 - 11:37 PM

cheers Katy, plan is for a bus tour the previous day (after the LondonEye 'flight') so will also use that to look for potential visits for next day.

Joe B

EnigmaPhoto
    6 Aug 2008 - 12:26 AM

Quote: need to be back to Heathrow for flight at approx 7-8pm so need to be readily accessable for transport back there.

Kew, Syon House and Richmond Park are all West London so not far from Heathrow. Richmond being the farthest from Heathrow, is still only 40 minutes from the Piccadilly Line with a further 30 minutes to Heathrow by tube (or half an hour in total by cab) to Heathrow.

I really recommend Kew Gardens though. 20 minutes walk to tube (if you crawl) and then about 30-40 minutes to Heathrow.

randomrubble
    6 Aug 2008 - 7:37 AM

The above are good locations but... As a daily user I'd seriously suggest avoiding or a least minimising use of the horribly unreliable district/circle lines at all costs, or leaving at least double times suggested by TFL's website. It can take up to 15 minutes for a circle line train to arrive, even at peak times.

A walk around the City is really good, but I'd suggest using the central line either at Bank or St. Pauls to Notting hill gate and then on to Paddington.

Alternaitively there are a couple of walks you could do in an afternoon:

Walk the southbank from London Bridge to the festival hall cross the river and then get a bakerloo from Embankment direct to Paddington.

You could also start at Westminster and work your way to Paddington along Victoria street and through Hyde park/Kensington gardens.

snapbandit
    18 Aug 2008 - 10:25 PM

Has anyone any info on taking pics from the London Eye, re: shooting through the 'glass'/'perspex' or whatever the capsule is made from. Mainly wondering if there is any problem with reflections off the inside canopy (& what is it made from, perspx or glass in case a polariser is useful.) thanks for any useful info.

Joe B

rowarrior
    18 Aug 2008 - 10:58 PM

I've taken pics on the Eye without a polariser and they were okay, although there are a few pics where the sun was shining at a particular angle and I caught a few reflections.

dwilkin
    dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
    18 Aug 2008 - 11:15 PM

You will occasionally get reflections on the Eye, but it's curved glass, so what can you do? I've been on it twice, and both times failed to get a really good shot of London, although the ones I have of other portions of the Eye are quite good...

Freefall
    Freefall e2 Member 10675 forum postsFreefall vcard United Kingdom
    19 Aug 2008 - 9:06 AM

Point of note - the London butterfly house was closed in October 2007, demolished November/December 2007, and is now just an empty plot of land....the Duke of Northumberland plans to build a hotel complex on the site.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.