Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Long Exposure and Wide Angle lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Aug 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi just a wee question hopefully iam going to buy a Tokina 11-16 lens for my D7000 (don't tell the wifeGrin) and want to get a ND filter to go with it. Reading on tinternet there are some folk that say these filters cannot be used this wide. Any feedback will be great and yes i know the tinternet can be dangerous sometimes Grin

Rod

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Aug 2012 - 12:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    19 Aug 2012 - 12:39 PM

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/hitech-plastic-holder-soft-hard-grad-p-16540.html

Thats a nd grad set, to get longer exposures you will need a sold nd grad. filter thread size=77mm

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 19 Aug 2012 - 12:49 PM
    GarethRobinson
    19 Aug 2012 - 12:51 PM

sold=solid nd filter 4/8/10 stop etc your choice.. sorry not enough coffee drank today...lol

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 19 Aug 2012 - 12:53 PM
    widtink
    19 Aug 2012 - 1:35 PM

Yeah was gonna buy BW +10 but someone said that at ultra wide angles the filter can affect the image ?? have you seen this effect ??
    Cheers Gareth

Rod

Newdevonian
    19 Aug 2012 - 2:00 PM

Polarisers will give uneven coverage with wide angles since they give their greatest effect at 90 degrees. Ultra wide lens angles vary from the 90 to a greater extent than normal or telephotos. I know what I mean, perhaps someone can explain it better!

GarethRobinson
    19 Aug 2012 - 2:10 PM

I have the B+W and only get a slight vignette when using it at 12mm on my 12-24mm, I don't find it a problem to be honest.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41174 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Aug 2012 - 2:15 PM

Variable ND filters use cross-polarisation to achieve the varied effect, and display uneven exposure when used at higher strengths, but solid (eg fixed 10-stop) ones don't, therefore you shouldn't have trouble with uneven exposure with a fixed strength one.
    The sky appearing to graduate in colour is frequently seen though, and is a natural product of differing angles to the sun and the moisture in the air. It is merely enhanced by polarisation.

Nick

widtink
    19 Aug 2012 - 2:19 PM

Great ! Thats what i was wanting to hear now just have to sell enough wood to pay for the lens/filter combo. Is +10 the highest these filters go to ?
    Thanks alot for the info Nick

Rod

widtink
    19 Aug 2012 - 2:21 PM

And thanks for your input aswell GarethGrin

Rod

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41174 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Aug 2012 - 6:05 PM

They do various strengths, ranging from 1-stop up to 10-stop. I'm pretty sure you can get stronger ones, but you can combine filters, especially if they screw in and light can't get in from the side (causing flare and internal reflections). Remember that every stop darker will double the exposure time, so by the time you get to 10-stops, a 1/125 exposure becomes a 8 second one. If you have a small aperture and can get your base exposure down to 1 second, your 10-stop will give you a 16 minute exposure. Add a 3-stop to that and you get 2 hours' worth.
    A long time to be standing, especially if you forget to turn off long exposure noise reduction!!

Nick

WilliamRoar
    19 Aug 2012 - 7:47 PM

I've used a B+W 10 stop over a UV filter on a Sigma 10-20 with no vignetting.

widtink
    20 Aug 2012 - 6:46 AM

Great thanks to everyone thats been a great help

Rod

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    20 Aug 2012 - 9:56 AM

Quote: there are some folk that say these filters cannot be used this wide.
    Rod

You can use ordinary ND's Smile
    You do have to accept you get some extra gradual corner optical shading with wide angles.
    You may be able to remove this by increasing vignette control post processing.
    What happens is in the frame center light is vertical and goes through the equivalent of 10 stops ND.
    By the extreme corners light is at a low angle and goes through the equivalent of 12 or more stops ND - so darker corners.
    The reports I have seen testing variable ND's is they do not work at 9 and 10 stop settings - but I have never used one myself.
    Pols have an ND effect although this is not a primary reason for using one. With the sun over your shoulder the widest angle for an even pol saturation of colour is 35mm on 24x36 format.
    Some pols and grads have fairly deep mounts which can hard vignette (hard black corners) at the wide setting with some wide angle zooms.

widtink
    20 Aug 2012 - 10:15 AM

Yeah i will stick to a fixed nd filter when i get the cash for the tokina 11-16 its gonna be fun Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.