Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Long Exposures with a 10 stop variable lens

perkyjude 3 46 11 England
9 Aug 2012 8:17AM
Hello Everyone.

I have a mystery for you. I took my new 10 stop variable lens down to the beach yesterday to try my hand at long exposures. I used my 18-105mm lens, which I use daily, with the new filter and I got this strange result. See picture. All the photos with this lens came out like this . So after a little panic about my filter being faulty, I put the filter on another lens, my 70-300mm (the only other 67mm fitting) and I didn't have any problems, photos did not have this mark on, but I obviously didn't want to use this lens for long exposures. Argghh. I have no idea what is causing this.

Please help. Jude ♥1-dsc-0011.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 8:21AM
I heard a report on the "this Week in photo" podcast the other day that an X pattern can be a problem with variable filters and wide angle lenses. unfortunatly they didn't say if there was any cure apart from use a different flter. Here is another report about it .

I'm guessing that as it is basically two polarisers working together that the angle of the sun might add to the effect too. But the advice seems to be not to use them on max or on wide angle.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 11:24AM
I find mine can give strange results at max density. As lobsterboy says, these are polarisers and the direction of the light can have an influence.
parallax e2
5 121 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 12:35PM
I get the same problems. You need to reel it back a stop. On maximum setting this will always happen. Most Vari ND instructions will confirm this.
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 12:35PM
Lobsterboy has it right the only way to gaurantee even light reduction is to use a fixed strength ND.
All the various variables have this problem, some worse than others,at the max setting particularly with the wide angle lenses
john thompson 11 755 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2012 11:05AM
When using the filter near to maximum density try checking the image with live view and you can see the cross effect and adjust to remove

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.