Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Long Exposures with a 10 stop variable lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    perkyjude
    perkyjude  346 forum posts England11 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Aug 2012 - 8:17 AM

Hello Everyone.

I have a mystery for you. I took my new 10 stop variable lens down to the beach yesterday to try my hand at long exposures. I used my 18-105mm lens, which I use daily, with the new filter and I got this strange result. See picture. All the photos with this lens came out like this . So after a little panic about my filter being faulty, I put the filter on another lens, my 70-300mm (the only other 67mm fitting) and I didn't have any problems, photos did not have this mark on, but I obviously didn't want to use this lens for long exposures. Argghh. I have no idea what is causing this.

Please help. Jude ♥1-dsc-0011.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Aug 2012 - 8:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014144 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Aug 2012 - 8:21 AM

I heard a report on the "this Week in photo" podcast the other day that an X pattern can be a problem with variable filters and wide angle lenses. unfortunatly they didn't say if there was any cure apart from use a different flter. Here is another report about it.

I'm guessing that as it is basically two polarisers working together that the angle of the sun might add to the effect too. But the advice seems to be not to use them on max or on wide angle.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 9 Aug 2012 - 8:53 AM
    lemmy
    lemmy  71876 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Aug 2012 - 11:24 AM

I find mine can give strange results at max density. As lobsterboy says, these are polarisers and the direction of the light can have an influence.

parallax
    parallax e2 Member 5117 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
    9 Aug 2012 - 12:35 PM

I get the same problems. You need to reel it back a stop. On maximum setting this will always happen. Most Vari ND instructions will confirm this.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Aug 2012 - 12:35 PM

Lobsterboy has it right the only way to gaurantee even light reduction is to use a fixed strength ND.
    All the various variables have this problem, some worse than others,at the max setting particularly with the wide angle lenses

john thompson
    10 Aug 2012 - 11:05 AM

When using the filter near to maximum density try checking the image with live view and you can see the cross effect and adjust to remove

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.