Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Long Overdue IMO

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014947 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Sep 2012 - 11:11 PM

Canada closes Embassy in Iran.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Sep 2012 - 11:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
    8 Sep 2012 - 9:08 AM

Dont agree with you on this one. It is far better to keep lines of communication open for many reasons. No dispute ever ends without all the parties sitting around a table.

As for Irans retoric against Israel - what about the atrocaties that Israel have done to the Palestinians, what about their building housing estates on Palestinian land, what about about them placing embargoes on anything going into Gaza bringing poverty and lots more to Palestinian children. I'm not one for war mongering but Israel stretches the patience of the world. Whatever Israel gets in the future I can only say it is well deserved.

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 91082 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2012 - 9:24 AM

I agreed with what you were saying until you came out with this comment:

Quote: Whatever Israel gets in the future I can only say it is well deserved.

A little extreme, especially as the British haven't got the best track record in the world ( I am British in case you were wondering). Hatred is a difficult thing to understand, especially when it has been taught from birth. That's the real problem to overcome. Don't forget it was the British that handed Palestine to the Israelies in 1948. That and the American backing of Israel reinforces their opinion that theyare special and have a God given right to the land that they are on.

User_Removed
    8 Sep 2012 - 10:39 AM

Here in the west we can sit back and reap the rewards of the British and American act of giving Palestine to the displaced jews of Europe after WW2.
    The fact that we rode rough shod as usual over the muslim world by doing this has caused the problem with their extreme factions that we endure today. As for closing embassies it has a track record of failure and in the end we will have to talk to these people...a few names from history will clarify....Archbishop Makarios and Yomo Kenyatta for a start...both number one terrorist enemies who went on to become leaders of their countries with full uk backing...there is a point of view which says that if we fail to learn from history we fail and we have become rather good at it!

puertouk
    puertouk  31081 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2012 - 4:33 PM

There is more trouble in this World of ours because of so-called religion. It wants banning. For thousands of years, people have fought over this stupid reason.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315682 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2012 - 4:54 PM

Quote: There is more trouble in this World of ours because of so-called religion

If all religion was to disappear tomorrow nothing will change, we would just find other reasons to fight.

derekhansen
    derekhansen e2 Member 6185 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom24 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2012 - 5:17 PM

Quote:

If all religion was to disappear tomorrow nothing will change, we would just find other reasons to fight.

Sadly I think Paul is absolutely right. Whatever the excuse, Humans will fight each other, they always have.

Last Modified By derekhansen at 8 Sep 2012 - 5:17 PM
    Snapster
    Snapster e2 Member 2121 forum postsSnapster vcard England
    8 Sep 2012 - 5:53 PM

Unfortunately banning religion would lead to a fight.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315682 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2012 - 5:55 PM

Or WW3 Smile

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2012 - 6:39 PM

Quote: There is more trouble in this World of ours because of so-called religion

Really? Let us examine this:

Was religion the major factor in:

World War I, Word War II, Korean War, Vietnam War.................. or even the Cold War? Nope!

Let's go back a a bit earlier - Napoleonic Wars, Crimean War and Boer War? American Civil War, maybe? Nope!

Sorry............. the statement doesn't hold up, at all. Smile

Paul Morgan
    8 Sep 2012 - 7:02 PM

Indifference, hatred and greed would be high on my list, religion would be at the bottom.

I found the views of one man quite disturbing, an interesting read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mein-Kampf-Adolf-Hitler/dp/817224164X

gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102293 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2012 - 7:17 PM

Quote: Dont agree with you on this one. It is far better to keep lines of communication open for many reasons. No dispute ever ends without all the parties sitting around a table.

As for Irans retoric against Israel - what about the atrocaties that Israel have done to the Palestinians, what about their building housing estates on Palestinian land, what about about them placing embargoes on anything going into Gaza bringing poverty and lots more to Palestinian children. I'm not one for war mongering but Israel stretches the patience of the world. Whatever Israel gets in the future I can only say it is well deserved.

Absolutely agree with you, though I assume like me, you would only want the unsavoury government of Israel to get their comeuppance and not all of the Israeli citizens. Smile

Quote: Indifference, hatred and greed would be high on my list, religion would be at the bottom.

Yes, I agree. I think if there were no religions we would still find some other reason to distinguish "them" from us.
    As to greed - well yes - I think it is not just money that is the root of all evil: It's greed - greed for power and greed for money. Sad

mikehit
    mikehit  56742 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Sep 2012 - 8:31 PM

I agree with Paul but religion is used (abused) as the rallying call - remember in the early days of the 2003 Iraq invasion with GW talking about 'Crusade' and it was nothing more than a way to get the 'religious right' to back them on a huge wave of emotion. That invasion itself was sparked by an atrocity for which reilgion and religious injustice was used as an motive for people to commit suicide.
    Religion often acts a cohesive glue that encourage nations to act en masse and without it many disputes would be localised spats between tribes or nations. So in many ways religion escalates the scale of the bloodshed.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Sep 2012 - 8:46 PM

Ideology is right up there with religion: communism, fascism and other -isms. Anything can be abused and used as a rallying call.

Greed for power and wealth , even when you have plenty of both, is always the true cause.... whatever the smokescreen used.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.