Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Look For a good base camp for the isle of skye

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Andy1979
Andy1979  7754 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 9:44 PM

Hi i am wanting to book up to go to the isle of skye in may, But i am unsure where to stop as lots of people have said its great for photography, but unsure where to go has anyone got any recommendations of places it would be really nice to hear from you, thank you for your time,. Andrew

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2013 - 9:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 10:18 PM

You are spoiled for choice on that island Andrew Glen Sligaghan , Glen Brittle , Red Cuillin are really nice as well. Take plenty clothes though lol. May is a good choice btw Grin

Rod

Andy1979
21 Jan 2013 - 10:29 PM

Cheers rod will bare this in mind when looking for a place, once again a big thanks for your time, andrew.

scottishphototours

Maybe running a 3-person tour there in May if you're interested Andrew. Drop me a PM if you are.

Meheecho
Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 - 10:43 PM

I stayed at Struan near Portree and found it ideal for exploring the whole island . As Andy says, go well prepared clothes-wise as weather can be fickle what the season

edrhodes
edrhodes  9521 forum posts United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 10:44 PM

Bookmarking Smile

JohnParminter
22 Jan 2013 - 9:59 AM

Andy, May is a good choice as you can get changeable weather but it can be settled and warm as well, be aware that Skye can have its own micro-climate that differs from the mainland.

The usual photographic haunts are from the south:

The bridge, sleat peninsula and nice views from Tokavaig area.

Broadford area and access to Elgol along the Torrin and Loch Slapin road - you will have to fight for space with the rest of the UK landscape community though..!!

Sligachan and Cuillin access and views.

Glen Brittle and Cuillin access and views.

Talisker beach and whiskey!

Portree and the road north up to the Storr, Kilt Rock, Staffin and Quiraing.

Around the north tip, Duntulm castle.

Back down the other side to Uig then over to the west at Neist point.

Places to stay:
South - Broadford
Central - Portree
North - Staffin or Uig
West - Dunvegan

Smile

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 10:03 AM

The parents of one of our members, Jamie have very nice holiday cottages on Skye, overlooking a loch where you can forage for mussels and reasonably convenient for pretty much everything. We went there October 2011 and had a brilliant time.

Ian

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41194 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 10:26 AM

I stayed in Carbost last time I went, though we slept on the floor in the village hall!

Nick

davidcollins
22 Jan 2013 - 11:37 AM

we stay a few miles from skye when on holiday to give us the best of to worlds
you get the whole of skye or you can head to strath carron or bealach na ba ,applecross and the coastal route
loch maree ,loch ewe, torridon or even up to ullapool.
and also that famous castle is close by ,and the glenelg brochs plus the wee ferry from glenelg on to skye
david

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 11:51 AM

I stayed in Elgol...it gave me a great opportunity to be on the coast in the right spot on the right day and no need to find a parking spot etc. As a result I got one of my own favourite landscapes to date. Downside is it's a crappy long drive on an almost single track road for about 20 miles. There are hundreds of passing places along the way but you do tend to take ages getting back to the main road system.

Andy1979
22 Jan 2013 - 12:27 PM

This is fab thankyou so much everyone for your help,. Has the island got plenty of fuel stations or is that a stupid question!.

chris.maddock
22 Jan 2013 - 1:15 PM

Quote: This is fab thankyou so much everyone for your help,. Has the island got plenty of fuel stations or is that a stupid question!.

One in Broadford, one in Portree, one in Uig. Not sure about any others.
Failing that there's one in Kyle of Lochalsh, just across the bridge.

For accommodation http://www.skyepicturehouse.com/ is excellent, located on the main road a few miles north of between Broadford.

Quote: Downside is it's a crappy long drive on an almost single track road for about 20 miles.

Crappy drive? The Elgol road's a lovely one to drive Tongue

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41194 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 1:39 PM

Just fill up in Portree, you won't necessarily use too much, your legs will be at least as much use.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 1:45 PM

Quote: Crappy drive? The Elgol road's a lovely one to drive

Sorry I should add that I don't like driving so spending extra time in a car frustrates me - hence my reason for calling it crappy ... the scenery along that route is breathtaking. The stopping and starting to let cars pass isn't!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.