Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Look For a good base camp for the isle of skye

chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 4:33PM
It also depends on how recently you drove down it - a lot of stretches have been upgraded over the last few years, good surface, decent passing places, etc. The only bits I'd describe as a bit of a pain now are where the road goes through villages/hamlets.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
22 Jan 2013 7:12PM
The last few times I went to Skye I used the CCC site at Edinbane. Can thoroughly recommend it for either camping or caravanning.

Quote:This is fab thankyou so much everyone for your help,. Has the island got plenty of fuel stations or is that a stupid question!.

There are plenty of petrol stations (albeit expensive) but you can drive right round the island several times on a tankful of fuel.

One tip - many of the most evocative views of Skye landscapes need to be taken from the sea. So plan to hire a boat for at least some of the time. The other "best views" tend to be taken from quite high up - so take your climbing boots. You can get some good photographs from within half a mile of the road - but not the best.
Phoenix 13 1.9k
22 Jan 2013 9:05PM
Another vote for Skye Picture House

As for the road to Elgol, I've regularly gone down it with my eyes closed
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
22 Jan 2013 9:38PM

Quote: I've regularly gone down it with my eyes closed

Ah... that's where I was going wrong! Tongue
22 Jan 2013 10:10PM

Quote:I've regularly gone down it with my eyes closed
Ah... that's where I was going wrong! Tongue

He omitted to say that his eyes were closed because I was driving Wink
Andy1979 8 754 2 England
28 Jan 2013 7:19PM
Well a big thanks to everyone for helping me out managed to get a cottage booked up for a week in may for 500 the place we found was dunvegan, Cant wait now!.
28 Jan 2013 8:02PM

Quote:Well a big thanks to everyone for helping me out managed to get a cottage booked up for a week in may for 500 the place we found was dunvegan, Cant wait now!.

Well done - enjoy Wink

If you want a starting point for a list of locations that might interest you, here's my one;
http://www.f22.org.uk/Articles/LazyPhotographer/LazyPhotographer07-Skye.htm
Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
28 Jan 2013 9:28PM
Can I add my thanks to this very useful thread as I plan to head to Skye in October in the camper. Intend to stay for three or four weeks.
Andy1979 8 754 2 England
28 Jan 2013 10:37PM
Spot on chris this will be very helpfull. Thank you so much mate!.
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
31 Jan 2013 2:38PM
One more thing to think about here Andy is fuel. There is a very small and expensive garage in Dunvegan area, but the cheapest fuel is in Portree so you'll need to go there or Broadford for fuel. Skye is a VERY big island and you can do a lot of miles - count on taking 40 mins minimum on driving from Portree to Broadford, around 30 from Dunvegan to Portree and 40 mins from Portree to the north of the island. The drive from Dunvegan to Neist Point is around 35 mins too.

Campervanman - sunset at Neist Point is a must see...enjoy.

Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.