Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking for a bomb-proof budget SLR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Harry Russell
    21 Jul 2002 - 8:12 AM

I am a keen mountain biker as well as a keen photographer. For 15 years> I have used a succession of Konica FC 1 and FT1 SLR's but I have now got fed up with the camera bodies
    > frequently breaking down, probably due to old age and being shaken around in my back pack while cycling off road.
    >
    >I would like to know what would be the most robust option in the current crop of 200 - 400 autofocus SLR's. I have so far discounted the EOS 300 because it seems so flimsy. I like the Nikon F80 but it is quite pricey. Am I paying for durability and robustness as well as technical sophistication? What about the Sigma SA7? Reviews say it feels robust, but is it?
    >
    > All advice and experiences would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jul 2002 - 8:12 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

J-P
    J-P  11396 forum posts
    21 Jul 2002 - 11:38 AM

I do a lot of mountain biking myself but I keep my SLR at home. Trouble is there's so many moving parts in there. Modern ones, with their PCB are particularly vulnerable. I guess if I had to use one I'd choose and old Nikon F2. Many of these survived the Vietnam war. Built like a hockey puck as a pro once told me.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jul 2002 - 6:44 PM

I used to carry a Contax 137MD camera in a paneer on a cycle when going out taking pictures on the pushbike. After about six months the screws started to come lose on the body, and that was a very robust camera! I don't think any cameras really like the excessive pounding, but the ones that cn cope are as jpdias says pro spec models liek the F2 or maybe a basic model like the Pentax K1000.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.