Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Looking for a bomb-proof budget SLR

21 Jul 2002 8:12AM
I am a keen mountain biker as well as a keen photographer. For 15 years> I have used a succession of Konica FC 1 and FT1 SLR's but I have now got fed up with the camera bodies
> frequently breaking down, probably due to old age and being shaken around in my back pack while cycling off road.
>
>I would like to know what would be the most robust option in the current crop of 200 - 400 autofocus SLR's. I have so far discounted the EOS 300 because it seems so flimsy. I like the Nikon F80 but it is quite pricey. Am I paying for durability and robustness as well as technical sophistication? What about the Sigma SA7? Reviews say it feels robust, but is it?
>
> All advice and experiences would be welcome.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

J-P e2
11 396
21 Jul 2002 11:38AM
I do a lot of mountain biking myself but I keep my SLR at home. Trouble is there's so many moving parts in there. Modern ones, with their PCB are particularly vulnerable. I guess if I had to use one I'd choose and old Nikon F2. Many of these survived the Vietnam war. Built like a hockey puck as a pro once told me.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
21 Jul 2002 6:44PM
I used to carry a Contax 137MD camera in a paneer on a cycle when going out taking pictures on the pushbike. After about six months the screws started to come lose on the body, and that was a very robust camera! I don't think any cameras really like the excessive pounding, but the ones that cn cope are as jpdias says pro spec models liek the F2 or maybe a basic model like the Pentax K1000.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.