Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking for a Cheap Macro Light?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014686 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2013 - 6:29 PM

I took delivery of this little gem a couple days ago. I tried it out yesterday, nothing in-depth, but just testing the effectiveness, and the ease of use. It would be an understatement to say I was impressed. I used it on the Olympus OM-D E-M5 M4/3 body and the Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro lens with a 46-52mm step-up ring. The complete setup was simple, and the controller and ring light fit snuggly and firmly to the camera and lens. It adds almost no weight to the camera, even with the 2 AA NIMH rechargeable batteries installed. It also seems to be the perfect size and fit for this size kit, like it was designed for it. It has 7 levels of brightness in continuous mode, giving ample light on level 4 for me to do a video of the grandchildren in the livingroom last night. For extreme close-up level 1 on continuous provides enough light on the subject to bring the histogram up to the right limit. I was a bit dubious about only 2 batteries, but it works fine, and using Eneloops, I expect to get long life from them. The flash has a 1/250 sync speed, which exceeds most other similar lights in its class. The ring contains 58 led lights that will also work in a flash mode, at twice the level of brightness you get on continuous light at the same setting, giving me enough light to take portraits using level 1 of intensity. It also offers the capability to just use the left or right side lights. I would like to post some photos of the setup on the camera because it just looks so natural on it. I'll try to find another camera and post some shots. At the price, I feel I have a real bargain that fills a gap that would otherwise cost an arm and a leg. I don't know how durable it is, but for the time being it's far more than I expected. I highly recommend it for any camera brand, and on Canon and Nikon it will use focusing lamp mode. For mirrorless camera users it fits the trend of lighter and smaller.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Mar 2013 - 6:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2013 - 6:37 PM

YONGNUO, LOL...Grin

Truth is they are producing some nice items these days, Cheap of course, But effective and do the job, Makes sense if your a happy snapper, A pro may want something more robust though, Just depends how much use its gonna get really.....Wink

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2013 - 6:47 PM

You could try here

Oops, misread your original questionWink

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014686 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2013 - 6:59 PM

Well, that was the point, a cheap solution. The pro setups would overwhelm my little camera and lens.Smile Also, 500 to 800 dollars is not a practical solution for me. As I said, I didn't expect the level of useability that it offers.

Andy_Cundell
    24 Mar 2013 - 7:02 PM

I bought the Polaroid Macro ring flash for 30......it's bloody awesome for the price!!!

andymcdonald
    24 Mar 2013 - 7:29 PM

Just ordered a similar unit from eBay here.

It was a bit cheaper than the Yongnuo but with a LCD display, more adaptors and some coloured filters. Not sure how effective the filters will be (wasn't a major selling point for me) but I am really looking forward to trying it out on my old Nikon 55/3.5AI lens.

I'm a big fan of Yongnuo kit. I have a YN-460 mk 1 and some RF-603 triggers (just bought two more). For the money they can't be beaten. I see that their range has started to include TTL for Nikon and Canon, and I had a play with a YN-560 which seemed very well made. You do need to watch out where you buy from though - I saw some places on eBay selling the basic YN-460 for 140!

Andy

StrayCat
    24 Mar 2013 - 7:34 PM

Looks good Andy, especially for the price.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315199 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2013 - 8:16 PM

You say it was a cheap set up Denny, how cheap.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72216 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2013 - 8:26 PM

Quote: You say it was a cheap set up Denny, how cheap.

About 30 on ebay in UK.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315199 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2013 - 8:29 PM

I put together a giant ring light for less than 10 Smile

StrayCat
    24 Mar 2013 - 9:23 PM

There's a link to the one I got in my OP. I could have gotten cheaper, but this one turned out to be just what I wanted and much more besides, if it continues to work.Smile

StrayCat
    24 Mar 2013 - 9:33 PM

ringlight-800-0377.jpg

Here it is on the E-M5 and the Olympus 60mm macro.

andymcdonald
    1 Apr 2013 - 11:50 AM

As a follow up to the ring flash I mentioned. I received it and it is faulty (half of it dimly lights as soon as you insert batteries and it never flashes with the whole ring evenly). Otherwise, it does look like quite a good unitTongue

However, I am finding it impossible to get the seller to agree to a return (they keep asking for videos of the problem and then telling me that I am using it wrong - though how I can be inserting 4 AA batteries wrong is beyond me). I am barraged by irrelevant emails (often 3 of the same email sent a few minutes apart) and have opened a dispute through eBay to try to force them to take the return.

I appreciate that I am dealing with a sample size of 1 but if anyone is thinking about getting a cheap ring flash it would be best to avoid the seller that I used.

Andy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.