Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking for a Good B&W + colour Printer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014199 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jul 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi, I'm in the very early stages of researching printers in hopes of finding one that will finally give me good Black and White prints, and colour also. I prefer an all-in-one minus the a fax machine which I don't need. My price range is anywhere from $100.00 to $200.00. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, preferably something with a proven track record. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Denny

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jul 2012 - 10:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    12 Jul 2012 - 11:05 PM

For that price, I suspect that you will be limited to an A4 printer rather than one than will print up to A3+

As You mention black and white, I imagine that is a priority to you. Really all I can say is to suggest that you get one that has three black ink cartridges - Photo Black, Light Black and Light Light Black.

I've got that in my Epson R3000 which is superb for black and white up to A3+ but I don't know what model gives the equivalent quality in A4 size.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Jul 2012 - 11:05 PM
    Zydeco_Joe
    13 Jul 2012 - 12:08 AM

Epson R3000 is the one to go for but it costs so maybe look on ebay for Epson R2400.

StrayCat
    13 Jul 2012 - 3:38 AM

I saw a comparison done of an Epson, Canon, and another brand, and the Canon won head and shoulders above the other two. Can't remember if it was in a magazine or on the web. Idon't want to print any bigger than 8x10, and that would be rare; mostly 4x6 and 5x7. What's A3? I don't print a lot of pics, but I do like B&W, and would do some just for the walls of my little studio. I don't sell anything.

User_Removed
    13 Jul 2012 - 8:37 AM

I thought Canada was metricated (unlike your neighbours to the south) Certainly, every time I have been there in the past 20 years, the road signs have been in kilometres and I've bought my petrol in litres. You are actually more metricated that UK - we still measure road distances in miles and drink our beer in pints (Proper 20 fl.oz. pints; not the tiddly wee American pints! ).

Here's your main A-series paper sizes (as used by all the civilised world Smile ) :

A0 1189 x 841 mm 46.8 x 33.1 in
    A1 841 x 594 mm 33.1 x 23.4 in
    A2 594 x 420 mm 23.4 x 16.5 in
    A3 420 x 297 mm 16.5 x 11.7 in
    A4 297 x 210 mm 11.7 x 8.3 in
    A5 210 x 148 mm 8.3 x 5.8 in
    A6 148 x 105 mm 5.8 x 4.1 in

A3+ - the size used by most medium-size printers - is a queer size just a wee bit bigger than A3

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Jul 2012 - 8:43 AM
    thewilliam
    13 Jul 2012 - 8:55 AM

If you have the space you could consider a used wide-format. Many enthusiasts purchase these and feel a compulsion to "upgrade" as soon as a new model is released, even though their current machine is a long way from worn out.

One colleague found a very nice 44 inch Epson machine for around GBP50 that came with nearly full ink cartridges. It gives him the most exquisite giclée prints.

bigalguitarpicker

I used an Epson R340 A4 printer for 6 or 7 years before it lay down and died. It saw me through HND Photography and Creative Imaging degree courses plus printing for craft fairs, so it saw plenty of hard use. The original Epson ink cartridges gave perfect mono prints, but once they ran out it never had Epson ink in it again. I never fancied an all-in-one printer. I'm now using an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 A3+ printer which cost under £200 from Amazon. I buy compatible inks at about £25 for 2 sets and I bought A3 paper, again through Amazon at £14.50 for 100 sheets loose packed ie. not in a box. I bought an A3 portfolio case which I reinforced with corrugated cardboard ( boxed and mitred the corners ) so the corners of my paper don't get damaged. Mono prints are acceptable using the compatible ink which I get from www.ink-1.co.uk where I've been buying my ink for years. Hope this helps Denny.
    Alex.

OldTom1
    OldTom1  269 forum posts
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:32 PM

My suggestion would be the Epson R2400. 8 inks (plus matt black) good service.

StrayCat
    13 Jul 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thanks everyone, good information to research. Thanks leftforum for the size comparisons, living here in the colonies the measurements are different again.Wink

I don't have the space for separate scanner/copier and printer, so I need an all-in-one. I've had a new Epson scanner/copier/slidecopier sitting in the box for a couple years, never took it out of the box.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.