Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

looking for a macro lens

robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 4:31PM
read the reviews they tell you go non is spend the extra on other camera gear Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy 7 2.1k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 4:35PM

Quote:read the reviews they tell you go non is spend the extra on other camera gear

What does that mean?
mikehit Plus
5 7.3k 11 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 4:56PM
Can you tell me which reviews give that advice?
Ade_Osman Plus
11 4.5k 36 England
5 Sep 2013 8:22PM

Quote:read the reviews they tell you go non is spend the extra on other camera gear

All depends on how you use it IMHO, if your a butterfly tog who uses the lens mostly handheld then IS is invaluable, if on the other hand you're like me and most of your work is done using a tripod using manual focus then IS isn't so important.
Glostopcat Plus
8 247 2 England
5 Sep 2013 9:06PM
I have a second hand Canon 100mm macro lens without image stabilisation which I bought off fellow epzer gary_d and regularly use it for photographing butterflies and dragonflies and rarely have problems when using it handheld. I seldom use a tripod apart from when doing landsape photography or very occasionally when I'm in the hides at Slimbridge or the RSPB reserves in the Forest of Dean.
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 10:59PM
the review phoblographer review Smile
mikehit Plus
5 7.3k 11 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 10:34AM

Quote:The review phoblographer review Smile

I suggest you re-read it because he never said what you claim. He gave reasons as to why the non-IS was the more logical choice for him. And he gave very good reasons to buy the L version - in fact that was one review that I used to make my decision to buy the L version.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
6 Sep 2013 10:43AM

Quote:I suggest you re-read it because he never said what you claim. He gave reasons as to why the non-IS was the more logical choice for him. And he gave very good reasons to buy the L version - in fact that was one review that I used to make my decision to buy the L version.

I looked at that review, Mike - doesn't he mention at one point that forward/backward image stabilisation is ineffective, or less effective? My knowledge of IS is poor, but that's what I read into one part of the text.
ARI 12 508 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 12:05PM
Another vote fr the 100 IS. Not tied to tripod, great with a monopod too
annettep38 Plus
3 188 32 France
17 Sep 2013 10:38PM

Quote:I have a second hand Canon 100mm macro lens without image stabilisation which I bought off fellow epzer gary_d and regularly use it for photographing butterflies and dragonflies and rarely have problems when using it handheld. I seldom use a tripod apart from when doing landsape photography or very occasionally when I'm in the hides at Slimbridge or the RSPB reserves in the Forest of Dean.

couldn't agree more
Can't say anything about Canon but IS or VR is really not needed for macro. I have been taking 1000s of macros without and I dare say my critters are sharp.
I'd also consider a longer macro, i.e. 150mm sigma, 180 tamron or a 200mm ( dunno if Canion does the same as the 200 f/4 nikkor) if you are going for insects.
markahoy 2 3 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2013 12:42PM
I'd back up the earlier comment about the Sigma 105mm f2.8 - I've had that for a few years now (on a Nikon) and have found it excellent.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.