Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking for a new dslr to get back into photography. Advice needed.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ackelly
ackelly  2
11 Aug 2012 - 4:23 PM

My trusty Nikon SLR was stolen after about ten years of great use, I'm looking to get into the DSLR fun but there seem so many cameras to choose from I felt I needed to ask for some advice. I have considered the Canon 600 and 650D but now see their competition - Nikon.
Any ideas would be much appreciated with a max budget of 600-700 pounds sterling.
Thanks in advance Alex.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Aug 2012 - 4:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

uzi9mm
uzi9mm  378 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Aug 2012 - 5:09 PM

take a look at pentax k30 looks a great camera for the money i know i would.

steve486
steve486  3126 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Aug 2012 - 5:11 PM

think of finding a good used eos 5d, that would leave somthing for a lens, mayby a used 28-135 is.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2012 - 5:17 PM

Canon 650d is pretty good for your budget.
Or Nikon D5100.
Better to go to a camera shop to try them out though.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 11 Aug 2012 - 5:18 PM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82308 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2012 - 5:53 PM

The theft of an old Minolta and an insurance replacement got me back into photography after years out. It's strange that such trauma's can have such silver linings (mind you given this hobby has cost me thousands I guess that burglary is still costing me Wink).

I believe that you are splitting hairs between brands these days in terms of IQ etc. My personal advice follows on from Coles...

1. How the camera feels in your hand, and how intuitive it is to use are important. You can get a sense of both by going in a camera shop and having a play.
2. Remember with a DSLR you are buying into a system. You don't want to buy a camera, and loads of accessories only to realise later on down the line that you wish you'd bought a different brand because their system is more suited to your type of photography.
3. Used is a good option, but think about warranty. Would you feel more comfortable with a degree of protection?
4. Also - think about how you intend on processing the images you take with your new DSLR. Might a tweak to your budget allow you to get a copy of Adobe Lightroom too? If I recall correctly I think Amazon often do LR for a silly price when you buy from a range of DSLR's.

Good hunting, and get taking pictures again.

Adam

ackelly
ackelly  2
11 Aug 2012 - 6:02 PM

Thank you very much for the ideas, are there any reliable places to look for second hand cameras?

ackelly
ackelly  2
11 Aug 2012 - 6:09 PM

Also is there a step up from the D5100 with a few more mega pixels as I would be blowing them up to print but less than the D4 of course.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82308 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2012 - 6:11 PM

London Camera Exchange usually do a good job. A few independents local to me also do second hand, however some are well OTT in their prices compared to the classifieds on here and eBay.

Before you buy any - perhaps have a think about what features you can't live without. E.g.

Do you need it to have a pop up flash (rules out the used 5D)?
What about low light performance (more recent sensors are much better at handling the noise from high ISO settings)?
Full frame or cropped sensor?
Frame rate (will you use the camera for action)?
Do you want the capacity to shoot video?
Megapixels - really this is far less important than many manufacturers would have you believe hence its at the bottom of my list.

ackelly
ackelly  2
11 Aug 2012 - 6:24 PM

Yes I realise that many of the Canon pro cameras have no pop up flash which would be useful for my kids to get started on photography. It is a shame it's that way but just a quIck google search shows results for 5dbmark iis for 700 pounds, do I've never used a clamp on flash are they easy to use?

sherlob
11 Aug 2012 - 9:09 PM

Yes - external flash can be easy to use, but they are not cheap. A 5D MkII at 700 - very good value, but that won't include a lens. Also remember that a 5D MkII really needs pro glass to get the best from the sensor...

A.

ackelly
ackelly  2
11 Aug 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks I think I'm going to go with the safe bet of the 650D. Would you recommend any particular lenses? 24-105mm? Or are Sigma good enough?

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 11:09 AM

Have a look at the MPB photographic advert on this page. They've got many used DSLRs and lenses for sale and, having used their services myself, I'd gladly recommend. Personally, I 'd always consider the very best glass you can afford a priority and if the seller is reliable and honest, used can be a good way to go.

ackelly
ackelly  2
12 Aug 2012 - 12:07 PM

Sorry where is this advert I can't seem to find it by glass which lens are you referring to?

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 4:50 PM

The MPB advert is to the right on this page just above the Lee filters advertisement. Sorry for not being clear! By 'best glass' I meant get the best quality lens you can for the focal length range you most need, it doesn't make sense to have a poor lens on a good camera body. The Canon 24-105 you mention is a very good lens, by the way, if it fits with your budget.

ackelly
ackelly  2
12 Aug 2012 - 8:34 PM

I was using my iPad and had disabled ads don't worry about it. Okay thanks for the advice I'll stick to the official Canon.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.