Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking For Free Or Very Cheap Software

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

johnp
johnp  10141 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Feb 2013 - 11:53 PM

My local community education centre is looking to run classes on photography for "snap shooters". They have asked me for advice on a number of aspects including software. It's a far cry from all the fancy stuff I do every day!

I'm looking for software to enable people to make simple improvements to their photographs. I'm thinking features like Crop, brighten/darken for under/overexposed images, raise/lower contrast, convert to b&w. Whatever we go for must be free or cheap and simple to use. We are more interested in simple editing rather than cataloguing solutions, although the latter might be a useful addition.

Please can anyone suggest a suitable product - ideally one already being used successfully in a similar context. Thanks for reading this.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Feb 2013 - 11:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 11:57 PM

Have a look at Gimp...pretty good considering its free.

Nick

Jestertheclown
18 Feb 2013 - 11:58 PM

FastStone

Picasa

Pixlr.

Photoscape

GIMP

Any or any combination of the above should do the trick.
All are free and all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Fogey
Fogey  169 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 12:00 AM

I see Adobe have got some of their earlier software for free.

OK, it might be CS2, but it is free and will do all that you want.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Last Modified By Fogey at 19 Feb 2013 - 12:01 AM
Jestertheclown
19 Feb 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yes. I'd forgotten about CS2.
That has to be the best of the lot.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 12:53 AM

Quote: I see Adobe have got some of their earlier software for free.

OK, it might be CS2, but it is free and will do all that you want.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Strictly speaking it's not free, as Adobe themselves say at the top of the link, and several of their employees have said elsewhere. You can no more legitimately run that than you could a cracked version of CS6. That said, the Adobe quest for world domination always seemed to include getting people hopelessly addicted by any means.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 2:34 AM

Basic and free

http://pixlr.com/editor/

Jestertheclown
19 Feb 2013 - 8:09 AM

There's been quite some debate over this CS2 thing.
That blurb at the top of the download page wasn't there to begin with and subsequent articles written about it have been altered.
My feeling is that if Adobe didn't want us to have it, they'd have pulled the plug weeks ago, when they discovered their "mistake."
Why else would they put the installation files and working serial on a public forum?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 8:25 AM

Quote: Why else would they put the installation files and working serial on a public forum?

Because they wanted to get rid of the activation servers and they didn't think it through...
it's a ****-up Wink

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 19 Feb 2013 - 8:25 AM
Fogey
Fogey  169 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 8:34 AM

Adobe are following the lead of Serif. Offer the earlier versions, get people hooked on their software and sell them later versions.

Jestertheclown
19 Feb 2013 - 8:42 AM

We'll never know, will we . . .?

In the meatime, anyone looking for a powerful editor, for nothing, would be foolish not to make the most of it.

User_Removed
19 Feb 2013 - 4:01 PM

Photoscape is free, i use nothing else.
Alf.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3308 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 4:19 PM

Apart from the ethical question about whether CS2 is genuinely free or not, I would think it might be a bit OTT, bearing in mind the intended use..for beginners making basic improvements.

Of the other suggestions, my own favourite of the free ones is FastStone for its useful range of features and ease of use.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 19 Feb 2013 - 4:20 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 5:33 PM

I think CS would be a poor choice.

I`ve used it for years and it still gets me stomped at times.

Would have thought elements or paint shop would have been a better choice.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 5:45 PM

I have to say I agree with both of the last posts. Having run such classes I would think that CS2 would scare the living daylights out of most beginners. A much more basic package such as FastStone would be all that was needed at this stage.

The package I had to use when I taught was PSP8. It had been installed before I took up the post. Brilliant though the old JASC versions of PSP were they were too much for people still trying to master the complexities of their cameras. All they wanted to do was the stuff the OP mentioned and FastStone will do all of those. And it's free.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.