Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking for the perfect camera!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Neeno
Neeno  1 United Arab Emirates
23 Sep 2012 - 9:01 AM

Hello there! I have very small knowledge about using cameras and I hope you guys can help me
I'm getting married very soon and I need a camera to capture those special moment in my honeymoon and with my husband!

Last Modified By Neeno at 23 Sep 2012 - 9:06 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Sep 2012 - 9:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9359 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
23 Sep 2012 - 9:15 AM

That's a difficult question. Depends what you are looking for and how much you have to spend. Compact, Bridge, Mirrorless or DSLR. If you are looking for small size with very good quality then i would recommend a mirrorless camera like the Nikon J2 or Sony NEX. Otherwise, a compact such as Canon would suffice. Maybe a long zoom range would be helpful on honeymoon. Here, one of the superzoom bridge cameras would be ideal.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Neeno
23 Sep 2012 - 9:20 AM

I did write the qualities that I want to have in the camera, but for some reason it's not shown up there. Thank you so much for your response! Basically: I want it to be compact, easily carried everywhere, takes HD videos, gives great image quality: similar to that of a DSLR cams if possible, the price shouldn't be higher that 500$ , I've thought of the Canon G1X or G12 but I'm still not quiet sure, I will be looking at the ones you suggested, thanks again!

Last Modified By Neeno at 23 Sep 2012 - 9:21 AM
Newdevonian
23 Sep 2012 - 9:27 AM

Quote: Maybe a long zoom range would be helpful on honeymoon.

The mind boggles!

Neeno
23 Sep 2012 - 9:50 AM

I've checked the Nikon J2, I'm mind blown! from the photo samples it seems to have an amazing photo quality, and the size is more than appropriate, the price is slightly higher than I'd like though. But I will consider it as an option instead of the Canon Gs

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9359 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
23 Sep 2012 - 9:54 AM

Quote: Maybe a long zoom range would be helpful on honeymoon.

The mind boggles!

lol

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2012 - 7:20 PM

Quote: Looking for the perfect camera!

I don`t think there is one.

Quote: Basically: I want it to be compact, easily carried everywhere, takes HD videos, gives great image quality: similar to that of a DSLR cams if possible

I often carry and use a Fuji x10, and just love it.

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2012/04/fuji-x10-review/
http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/locations-portraits-fuji-x10-and-5d-mki...
http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/10-things-i-love-about-the-fujifilm-x10/

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Sep 2012 - 7:24 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Neeno
23 Sep 2012 - 8:13 PM

Quote: I don`t think there is one.

that's true indeed! but I'm looking for the perfect one for me hehe

I did some research on it, looked at the links you provided and just wow! o.o seriously it's fantastic! I've also looked at different videos where they tested the camera and it seems perfect for shooting during trips and such, great video and photo shoots
I haven't set my mind up yet though.. the Fujix10 or the Nikon1 J2, they're both babes! I want them both T^T
I will be looking for the cheapest one in my country and I'll get it, thank you so so much!!

Last Modified By Neeno at 23 Sep 2012 - 8:13 PM
Steppenwolf
24 Sep 2012 - 1:36 PM

You can just about afford a Nikon V1 (now that the V2 is on the way the V1 prices have come down a lot). It's like the J1/J2 except it has a proper electronic viewfinder (so you don't always have to compose the shot using the rear LCD).

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Sep 2012 - 4:14 PM

Also look at the Sony Nex 5N. It's got lots of excellent scene modes that are ideal for people new to using cameras, and it has a sensor that is the same size as a regular DSLR...

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/sony-nex-5n-body-with/MTI4NDM_A

Yours,

Masaru Ibuka

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
25 Sep 2012 - 6:43 AM

Not mentioned but worth thinking about is a relatively lightweight tripod and a compact camera with a tripod socket.
Otherwise unless someone else takes the photos only one of you can be in the pictures or videos.

Neeno
25 Sep 2012 - 7:45 AM

Quote: You can just about afford a Nikon V1 (now that the V2 is on the way the V1 prices have come down a lot). It's like the J1/J2 except it has a proper electronic viewfinder (so you don't always have to compose the shot using the rear LCD).

thanks for your remarks Steppenwolf! I looked closely into the V1: Design wise it's very close to the J2 and I love that! but the thing is I don't like using viewfinders as they hurt my eyes hehe, I prefer using the LCD rear to take pictures, also it doesn't have a built in flash and I'm not planning on getting an external one as I'm no where a professional. I love that it has a mic jack but I doubt I'll ever use that either, and last but not least there's the price difference, which I don't think is going to drop soon enough for me =/
again, many thanks to you

Neeno
25 Sep 2012 - 7:49 AM

Quote: Also look at the Sony Nex 5N. It's got lots of excellent scene modes that are ideal for people new to using cameras, and it has a sensor that is the same size as a regular DSLR...

Thank you for pointing out a camera with DSLR functions as that concerns me alot! but just like the V1, the Sony NEX-5 doesn't have an internal flash... that's a huge issue for me! and the size of the camera is too big for me to carry everywhere, it will be a hassle as I carry 2 phones with me too
I think I will stick to the J2, as it's really small and stylish, and it has functions and modes that are ideal for me
again, thank you so much!

Last Modified By Neeno at 25 Sep 2012 - 7:50 AM
Neeno
25 Sep 2012 - 7:52 AM

Quote: Not mentioned but worth thinking about is a relatively lightweight tripod and a compact camera with a tripod socket.
Otherwise unless someone else takes the photos only one of you can be in the pictures or videos.

that's actually a very good point! I never thought of it. there'll be just one of us all the time haha
and it's be very awkward to keep asking poeple to take pics for us too, thanks a bunch for bringing this up!

Last Modified By Neeno at 25 Sep 2012 - 7:52 AM
B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Sep 2012 - 10:16 AM

Quote: Sony NEX-5 doesn't have an internal flash... that's a huge issue for me! and the size of the camera is too big for me to carry everywhere

It comes with an attachable flash (I think, from memory!) and I'm fairly sure that its very similar to the J2 in physical size.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=nikon_j2&prod...

Nikon has a 13.2x8.8mm (i.e. 1") sensor with 10 megapixels, the Sony 5N has a 23.4 x 15.6mm sensor with 16 megapixels. From your earlier posts you mentioned that you were after image quality near to that of a DSLR. The Sony is better in this respect.

Best thing to do tho is to go into a camera store and get a feel for both. Its how it works in your hands is the more important factor.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.