Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to buy a Telephoto Zoom Lens 70-300mm or simular

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    desbodd
    22 Oct 2013 - 11:40 PM

I own a Sony A55V-SLT and want to get a telephoto zoom lens for it 70-300mm or simular to take wildlife and action shots. My budget is £350 but I am confused with some of the reviews I have read, which say there is a problem with soft focus at the 300mm end. To improve this you need to spend more money to get the crisp images. However, most of the lenses I have looked at claim to have this feature. Anyone have any recommendations or advice. I have only been enjoying the hobby for a year but find some of the photo technical jargon a little difficult.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Oct 2013 - 11:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

llareggub
    llareggub  3638 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Oct 2013 - 7:18 AM

I have no idea about Sony lenses and how the stack up in that price range but I have the Tamron 70-300mm VC USD in a Canon mount and could not be happier with it... Softening at the long end is a fairly common phenomenon with low-mid range zoom lenses in the focal length, whilst it is noticeable it is not horrific with the Tamron.

I believe the Sony mount does not have VC as that is done in camera but I find focus fast and accurate in anything but appallingly bad light and image quality is a great to my eyes.

desbodd
    23 Oct 2013 - 7:45 AM

Thanks IIaregub. This is the lens I was particularly interested in. I am pleased with your comment re the lens softening and that it does not notice so much with this lens. Others makes in this price range are not so good.I think for what I need it for it will be adequate. The higher end lenses cost more than the camera at nearer £1000 +. I own a Tamron wide angle lens and that is good. I just needed reassuring

llareggub
    23 Oct 2013 - 7:55 AM

Here are some examples taken at the longer end, web size always looks good but I am a self confessed pixel peeper and they are fine by me Smile

desbodd
    23 Oct 2013 - 8:09 AM

I'm impressed. Unless you are a real perfectionist I think they match the standard I have seen in club exhibitions. Nothing stands out to me but then I haven't been pursuing this hobby long. You would probably have to zoom in on individual parts of the picture to find this softening. No I think they look great. Thank you for your time. This lens is on offer with Amazon so I shall make a purchase todaySmile

llareggub
    23 Oct 2013 - 8:18 AM

You are welcome, the first and third are on stock agencies so the softening isn't significant you can notice the change between the shorter end and the longer end but certainly does not ruin the image... Enjoy your new toy Smile

I did a first impressions review on my website when I bought it, http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/tamron-70-300mm-vc-usd-first-impressions/ it has some more pictures and a 100% crop so you can see the sort of quality that you can get from it when Pixel Peepeing Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.