Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to buy an external hard drive, any recommendations?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AnaKa
AnaKa  427 forum posts United Kingdom
12 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive for my PC to use for back up of my images. I'm looking to get 2TB and although it would be nice for the device to be portable, reliability is the main issue. My budget is around the 100 mark.

The main problem I found when looking for the above is that it seems that all drives I find have a lot of bad reviews from people saying that they failed and they lost all their files.

Anybody could suggest a good reliable product?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

Anyone who has had a bad drive will tell someone when they ask, very few will shout about it when something works as expected. As long as you go with the established names you take the same chances as everyone.
I personally found Wd very good with 3 of them and not let me down, altho I had to send the originals back as they had the intrusive software on them that which was a real pain. I forget the name if the software but I would advice checking if its still installed and avoiding it, it was only on certain models.

If your concerned about failure then consider having 2 x 1tb running in parallel automatically backing up the primary.

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
13 May 2013 - 6:11 AM

I think that whatever make you consider, someone will tell you to avoid it! I've got a Seagate and a Maxtor both of which are working well. But you never know!!!

franken
franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 8:45 AM

I've used Western digital for years and still use one purchased in early 2007 without any problems.

Ken

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 8:52 AM

The WD Drives to be aware of unless your comp savvy and even then people hate it have "WD Smartware" Installed which installs it without you asking in your route drive, I found it a nightmare to try and get rid of, A search on the net will see that's most agree with me, But WD drives themselves are very good.

mikehit
mikehit  56457 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 9:29 AM

I have turned away from WD harddrives for two reasons: firstly the smartware that Kev mentioned and secondly they automatically encrypt files even when encryption is set to 'no' (it is just a milder form of encryption). I found this to my cost when I dropped my WD MyPassport and had to send it off to a data recovery company and they charged me extra for decryption Sad
I now buy Seagate drives.

Despite that I have found WD drives very reliable and I recently bought one for my NAS. I understand you can buy portable caddies so you could buy the drive and the casing separately but it turns out to be the same price, and maybe more expensive, than buying the whole unit (at one point about a year ago the ready-built units were so cheap that some computer buffs were buying ready-built drives and stripping the drive out of them to build their own desktops).

Last Modified By mikehit at 13 May 2013 - 9:32 AM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 9:37 AM

I've just bought, waiting delivery, of this seagate drive - Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STBV2000200-Expansion-Desktop-Drive/dp/B0084LZI5Y/ref=sr_1_1

But its there to be a 2nd backup to another external iSCSII drive I have.

Previously i had bought a dedicated NAS device but i feel these are too much for amateur use like me where speed is not such an issue, and they still fail as i know very well.

Nothing is 100% and, what I really need to do is ALSO make more use of cloud storage for my really good images - skydrive via hotmail for me.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 13 May 2013 - 9:37 AM
icphoto
icphoto  131430 forum posts England
13 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

I have been using Hitachi drives since 2009, no problems at all.

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

I recently purchased a Seagate STBV30000200 3TB USB 3 expansion external H/D for 88 from Amazon. From all the reviews I've read, it appears a good reliable unit. I transferred 30GB of images onto it in next to no time and found it very good up until now.
Stephen

nickthompson
13 May 2013 - 1:48 PM

I've got a couple of Seagate drives for back up and back up of back up. So far so good. They will still fail in a couple of years.
Nick

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 4:46 PM

Get any internal hd you want and stick it inside an external case, takes no more than a few mins to do it. WD black drives is what I use internally and external.

justin c
justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 5:56 PM

Another vote for Western Digital Caviar Black drives.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 6:50 PM

I had a bad experience with Western Digital... it broke Sad

It was a back-up to images / Lightroom catalog on my computer's hard drive, so not really a problem, as such.

For a replacement I went for a different brand, G - Tech and so far, touch wood, it is going along OK and is much more compact than the Western Digital.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2013 - 7:30 PM

There has been a Probox lurking on a shelf under our PC for years

Never a hint of trouble

AnaKa
AnaKa  427 forum posts United Kingdom
14 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hello Guys, thank you very much for all responses...it seems that the common conclusion is that nothing is guaranteed... :-( still not sure what to get? But thanks

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.