Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to buy my first SLR...Any Reccomendations?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 3:11 PM

Quote: I must have a chat to myself, seem to be losing it. Smile

You should start a thread all to yourself.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jun 2010 - 3:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 3:17 PM

Quote: You should start a thread all to yourself.

Is that me talking?

It's no good I'll have to behave, I've hijacked this thread and have openly admitted being an Olympus user. Pete and the gang will banish me. Wink

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 3:20 PM

My first SLR was an Olympus OM10 - still got it. Great camera.

Toonman
9 Jun 2010 - 3:22 PM

Yep, agree. Do you use it?

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 3:24 PM

Well it's got a film in it, and some shots used, and it's sat looking at me saying use me, but, no not really.

Toonman
9 Jun 2010 - 3:26 PM

Shame it's like an old pet that you can't bring to put down.

Just bought a lovely Olympus 50mm F1.8 lens and adapter off E-bay . I love it.

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 3:28 PM

I could put the pet down but not the camera.

Toonman
9 Jun 2010 - 3:30 PM

Quote: I could put the pet down but not the camera.

Oh dear! You have let yourself into the hornets nest now. Watch the 3 people currently online barrage you. Wink

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 3:33 PM

Well if the pet had as much dust on it as the OM10 then I think it would be better off having the injection.

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 3:57 PM

One of the camera comics this month (Digital Camera) put the Nikon D5000, coupled with the 18-55mm VR lens, as their "Best Buy" in entry-level DSLRs.

Their conclusion was:

"For top image quality at a bargain price, Canon and Nikon lead the way. That said, the Canon 1000D is let down by its non-IS kit lens, the 450D faring much better. Top honours go to Nikon - the D3000 producing brilliant images despite a basic feature set, and the D5000 ruling the roost with stunning features and image quality."

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 4:01 PM

Further to above, their full scores were as follows (alphabetic order):

Canon EOS 1000D - 75%
Canon EOS 450D - 82%
Nikon D3000 - 87%
Nikon D5000 - 95%
Olympus E-620 - 71%
Pentax K-x - 84%
Sony A230 - 78%
Sony A450 - 69%

Toonman
9 Jun 2010 - 4:07 PM

E620 71% !!!! Must have been a NiCan tester. Smile

Thincat
Thincat  7616 forum posts
9 Jun 2010 - 7:43 PM

Quote: Yeah that is the sort of photography I am into so they sound ideal..Had seen the Sony A230 which in argos is actually reduced to 269 at the mo, but not sure if thats 'too cheap' if you get me...

Buying a cheap camera body and expensive lenses is the right way to go. The lenses retain their value (and may even go up) but the body is worth peanuts after a a few years. The Sony system is pretty good - I've got the A700 and a selection of Sony and old Minolta lenses. It used to be expensive but they've got more competitive over the last few years and they have the occasional sale where you can get bargains - Nikon and Canon don't do that. If you're into macro you'll need a good lens - say the Sony 100mm f2.8 which is top notch - and I think they're about 500 so the more you can save on the body the better. Remember the lens will hold its value. Also bear in mind that the Sony has in-body image stabilisation which can be very handy.

Last Modified By Thincat at 9 Jun 2010 - 7:44 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 8:01 PM

I'd go with the Pentax Kx and the kit 18-55mm lens to start. This lens gets excellent reviews, and it has an amazing minimum close focusing distance of 8 inches, a good start for close-up work, and wide enough for lanscape. The cost should be right around your budget, and if you can't find a deal over there, try ebay in Canada or the US. The camera has every feature you need, and more, and includes excellent HD video capability.

Bridgelayer
9 Jun 2010 - 8:34 PM

I've just moved up from a Bridge cam to the 450D. The bundle with twin lens kit comes out at 549 from Jessops.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.