Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to buy my first SLR...Any Reccomendations?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

stan_pustylnik

Sony DSLRs are nice. If you will gear them up using Minolta AF primes, they are killers.

I use A850 with various Minolta Maxxum, Sigma, Tamron lenses and don't plan changing system.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jun 2010 - 9:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2010 - 7:01 AM

Quote: I use A850 with various Minolta Maxxum, Sigma, Tamron lenses

Thats fair enough Stan but she only has 350 to spend not 1800 +

twordley
twordley  8360 forum posts England
10 Jun 2010 - 7:57 AM

roxy, why not consider a good condition and quality s/hand camera that way you may be able to move up a bit, for the same money? i can recommend srs microsysytems and they clean test and guarantee all their stuff

good luck wichever path you choose

trev

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
10 Jun 2010 - 9:17 AM

Thank you everyone....I will let you know what I decide to go with x

technical_tim
18 Jun 2010 - 10:06 AM

I've got a Canon 1000D and am extremely happy with it and the resulting photogrpahs. The standard 18-55mm lens has produced some excellent images and i recently purchased a Canon 55-250mm IS lens for the telephoto functionality. I paid around 370 for the camera with 18-55mm lens and got a bag, table tripod and 4Gb card thrown in as well. Look for deals and then try the independent shops who tend to be able to match or beat prices.

I read the article mentioned above about budget DSLR's but would also point out that the same magazine did a similar article not so long ago in which the 1000D did much better.

Go with what feels right for you, gives the most functionality and meets your requirements.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the results of whatever you choose

mille19
mille19  7 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2010 - 12:30 PM

Quote: I'd go with the Pentax Kx and the kit 18-55mm lens to start. This lens gets excellent reviews, and it has an amazing minimum close focusing distance of 8 inches, a good start for close-up work, and wide enough for lanscape. The cost should be right around your budget, and if you can't find a deal over there, try ebay in Canada or the US. The camera has every feature you need, and more, and includes excellent HD video capability.

I have to agree, I think you get more for your money with Pentax.

LukeParkinson
23 Jun 2010 - 7:23 PM

I agree with technican_tim the Canon 1000D is a very very good camera, I think that you get more for less.

gpwalton
gpwalton  1390 forum posts
24 Jun 2010 - 11:51 AM

I recommend the Pentax KX. I have recently bought one and am amazed at it's features and performance. The 18-55 kit lens is first class.
The high ISO noise performance of the Pentax KX, is the top of its class.

I have top of the range Canon and Pentax DSLRs, but my Pentax KX is now my camera of choice.

davey_griffo
24 Jun 2010 - 2:55 PM

Something else to consider here, & it depends on how important these features are.

Nikon don't put autofocus motors into their entry level cameras, & they (like Canon) don't put image stabalisation into any, cheap or expensive. This can add an additional cost to any lens you buy, as you have to get an AF lens with IS built in.

Almost all other manufacturers (see, I resisted the urge to plug Sony here....Damn, did it anyway Smile) have both from the entry level models up.

The Sony a230 does seem to be a good camera, but is universally slated for that awful grip. I'd wait for the a290, if you decide on Sony. They've gone back to a more sensible grip, & the styling of the 450/5x0 models.

Having said that, the Pentax K-X was voted entry level camera of the year by TIPA, the international photo mag's association. Massive advantage to Pentax - they still use the same K bayonet lens mount they've use for 30 years. They recon you can use any lens made after 1978, & any AF lens made after 1982 on their current models, so there'll be a huge 2nd hand market in lenses. Of course you'll have to focus manually.

The best advice I can give here is what I said on another similar thread.

write a list of must-have features.
Go to a shop & handle the camera's, see which one you like the feel of, & which offers all, or as many, of the features you want.
buy on-line & save a packet. Smile

Last Modified By davey_griffo at 24 Jun 2010 - 3:00 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014818 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2010 - 4:39 AM

Having researched the Pentax K-x, I believe it is head and shoulers above the other brands' entry level offerings. I went with the Pentax K20D in the end, but the K-x was a contender. I have Been lens shopping for several months, and coming from Nikon, and Olympus, I think Pentax prices are a tad better for quality glass than the others, and the camera has stabilisation built in, which works with all lenses. Not only did the K-x come out on top with entry level cameras, but their kit lenses outperform other brands also.

Get a white one for weddings.Wink

Last Modified By StrayCat at 25 Jun 2010 - 4:41 AM
davey_griffo
26 Jun 2010 - 3:46 PM

I've seen the Sony a230 twin lens kit offered for around 400.00, which is only a little above your budget. But for that, you don't just get the 18-55mm lens, you get a 55-200mm too. A useful range.

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
30 Jun 2010 - 2:28 PM

Just to let you know Ive decided to go for the Sony A330...Currently 329 in Jessops....The A230 is only around 269 but doesnt have live view..Not sure how needed live view is tho? Had a look at the Nikon D3000 in Jessops today and I actually found it really heavy to hold, Maybe I am just a wimp......lol. x

Hope my choice will prove to be a good one!
Claire x

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2010 - 6:21 PM

Quote: Buying a cheap camera body and expensive lenses is the right way to go

Theres Cheap, Then there is stupid cheap, Just buying the cheapest thing on the planet, Then sticking classy glass on the front of it, May not be a wise idea, Probably a awaste of a good lens too.....Grin

Therefore a compromise needs to be struck, A decent " Entry Level " spec, With a decent lens, Will give you a better start in the world of DSLR's.......Smile

Buy wise, Buy Once.........Job done....Wink

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
30 Jun 2010 - 6:32 PM

Well if I had my way i'd get top of the range gear but I can't! I have to get what I can afford Sad

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
30 Jun 2010 - 6:40 PM

Cameracat what do you think about the Sony Alpha a330?!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.