Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to buy my first SLR...Any Reccomendations?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

davey_griffo
30 Jun 2010 - 9:52 PM

Good camera, gets good reviews, and the screen is tiltable, which is a godsend when you want to take low shots on wet/muddy ground. There's a review of the 230 here, and a review of the 330 here
But the same comments as were made about the a230 apply to the grip. Of course, Sony are about to replace the two of these camera's. Which is good news for you because either:
1) You'll get the 230/330 at a bargain basement price, or
2) you can wait and get a camera with a decent grip.
As I said, try them in the shop. The grip may suit you, especially if you have small hands. I was once described as having hands like shovels, so I like a big, chunky grip.

Last Modified By davey_griffo at 30 Jun 2010 - 10:19 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jun 2010 - 9:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2010 - 9:59 PM

Hi Roxy, What do I think of the Sony a330....?

I'm sure as a first DSLR it will prove to be a great little camera.....Smile

However when comparing The Sony a330 with something like the Pentax K-x which is in the same price bracket, You realise just how much Sony are getting away with in terms of value for money.

First up, The all important imaging sensor, The Sony has a 10mp CCD sensor, The Pentax has a 12mp CMOS sensor.

Its fairly widely known that the CMOS sensor technology is superior to the CCD technology, CCD is cheaper though, One reason the CMOS as in the Pentax is superior is the much cleaner high ISO performance, ie: Nice noise free images at high ISO speeds, Certainly a lot better than the Sony's CCD.

Next is the frame rate, The Sony can shoot at 2.5 frames per second, The Pentax shoots at 4.7 frames per second......Smile Great for fast action stuff.

Next the AF ( Auto Focus ) The Sony has a 9 Point system, The Pentax has an 11 point system .......Higher number is better......Smile

Next the Pentax has HD Video capability, The Sony does not, Not something you may require on a still camera, But nice to have all the same......Smile

Weight wise the Sony is 490g, The Pentax is 515g, So not a lot more considering how much more camera you get.....Grin

There are many other features on the Pentax that make it a better buy, But the above are the more important ones.

One issue I have with Sony cameras is this, Lets say you want to use an add on flashgun, You either have to buy one of thier very expensive units, Or buy an expensive adapter so that standard fitting flashgun hotshoes can be mounted on the camera.

So whilst the Sony may well take a good picture, Its not exactly the bargain it appears to be, Especially when compared to the Pentax K-x, and the slightly more expensive Nikon D5000 or Canon 1000D cameras that offer much more for your hard earned cash......Grin

Now just in case your wondering if I'm some sort of " Pentax Rep " LOL.....Smile I'm not, I actually use a Nikon camera, My other half uses Canon kit....Smile

So I have no vested or otherwise interests in pushing a " Pentax " your way, But it is a much better first time buy in the long term by a long way.

Hope that helps......Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 30 Jun 2010 - 10:02 PM
RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
30 Jun 2010 - 10:08 PM

Thankyou Smile it's still all very new to me. I'm able to just about stretch my budget to 500 max so will spend a little bit more time looking around!
Have just seen a Sony a330 bundle kit with extra lense for 499.

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
30 Jun 2010 - 10:13 PM

Would you say live view is a must also?!

User_Removed
30 Jun 2010 - 10:13 PM

If means anything to you I get to use a lot of different cameras and I would rate Nikon, Canon and Pentax entry level DSLRs ahead of Sony.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Photogeek
Photogeek  9605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2010 - 10:28 AM

I use the Alpha 100 with Minolta lenses and am well pleased with it (It also has a CCD sensor). I must admit to not being too happy with Sony though. There is a lot of marketing hype around the camera(s) . . . If I was just making my first foray into SLR's (With the eagle eye hindsight I have now of course) I probably would go for something else . . . but for me to jump ship now would be damaging to my reproductive chances Wink

I'm not saying that the cameras are bad . . . they are not. . . . it's just that Sony do not appear to have a planned strategy going forwards to achieve their aim of becoming No 2 in the SLR market. . . .I just wish that rather than concentrate on marketing features they actually do something once and for all about the High ISO noise generated by their sensors . . . again using the right raw conversion tool and the right 'recipe' it is something you can control and produce an image as good as canon or the arguably better nikons Wink

. . . still saving for an a850/a900 though Grin

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
1 Jul 2010 - 12:46 PM

Just been and seen the Nikon D5000 and really liked it.....

User_Removed
1 Jul 2010 - 1:03 PM

Good camera. The lowest ISO of 200 is a weakness, in my opinion, but Nikon's generally appear to cope very well with sensor noise. If you're not printing up to A3 then it shouldn't be an issue and if you are you can use something like Noiseware to calm it down beforehand.

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
1 Jul 2010 - 1:16 PM

Which is better D3000 OR THE 5000? All this talk of live view seems confusing to me, and honestly...Is it worth the extra 100?!

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2010 - 1:22 PM

It's simple Roxybabe. if you can afford it the D5000 is the best bet. It has super high ISO performance and inherits a lot of the high spec's of it's big brothers.

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
1 Jul 2010 - 1:25 PM

Hi again Toonman.....Yep I can just about stretch to get the D5000, Just can't afford the twin lense bundle so will have to pick up the 70-300 lense at a later date!

User_Removed
1 Jul 2010 - 1:35 PM

I must admit that I find Live View most useful in the studio, when shooting tethered, where you've got time to site down and fine tune the depth of field. When you're out snapping it doesn't really add much (IMO/E). I'd like to hear from the die-hards as to why and when it's indispensible.

RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  4 England
1 Jul 2010 - 1:38 PM

I tend to go to alot of footy games and concerts, so have been told the live view would be good for that also? I.E Taking photos of things I cant really see etc....(Being a mini 5ft nothing i need all the help i can get) lol x

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62450 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
4 Jul 2010 - 7:20 PM

A good starting point is to fix your budget, buy a copy of Amateur Photographer to find out roughly what you can get for your money, then visit Jessops to try out Canon, Nikon and Sigma bodies and lenses to see which you prefer.
Do not buy on your first visit - take time as it is expensive to change systems if you are unhappy with what you bought. There are cheaper places than Jessops - though sometimes Jessops match price - and I think Jessops still have a 30 day return period if you change your mind after buying.
Everybody is different so what suites some-one else may not be right for you.

Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61232 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
4 Jul 2010 - 10:16 PM

Hi

Not sure if you've bought yet but I got a Nikon D5000 a couple of months ago when I wanted to upgrade my D60. it's a great camera and live view is really useful for difficult angles like the concerts etc you mentioned. When I got mine the Winchester branch of London camera Exchange were doing ex demo models for 399 so you may want to check them out. Not sure where you're based but they may do some on their web site. I had very good customer service from them and advice too. They also do trade-ins so if youhave something you're wanting to trade that could save you some money too. Good luck.

Lyn

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.