Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to get a Compact Camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

maxpark3r
maxpark3r  1
19 Jun 2013 - 7:27 PM

Hi,
I am going to thailand for several weeks over the summer and I am looking to invest in a camera to capture the scenery.
I am looking to buy a compact camera with interchangeable lenses and I have around 200-350 to spend. I am looking for the best camera within this price range. I have read reviews that the Nex-3n is a good camera, which is at the higher price, and my sister has an olympus e-pm1 which is at the lower end of the price.
I am a beginner photographer and I am looking at improving my skills.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jun 2013 - 7:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChiliMan
ChiliMan e2 Member 8135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 9:15 PM

I love the Pen series so I would be biased towards the E-PM1. I had the E-PL1 and now the E-PL3. Both are fantastic and the E-PM1 will have the same image quality.

Saying that, the Nex-3n has a larger sensor and reviews suggest excellent image quality, noise handling and superb battery life. Very compact too. AND it has a built-in flash.

Tough call. But the Sony possibly wins. It might lose to the E-PM2...but I reckon it would beat the E-PM1. Especially for the APS-C sensor to begin with.

Gosh...hope this has been even slightly helpful Smile

ChiliMan
ChiliMan e2 Member 8135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thought I should clarify what I said at the end: BOTH the E-PMs would lose in terms of sensor size.

But from what I've read on the E-PM2, the new sensor and processing engine might give the Nex-3n a good run.

mikehit
mikehit  56490 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 10:34 PM

How compact? By the time you put a lens on there the Panasonic G3 is no larger than the NEX and the G3 can be had for 200, or 250 including the 14-42, then add an Olympus 40-150 for another 169

http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/mc.php?n=PanasonicGSystem&mc=18

maxpark3r
maxpark3r  1
19 Jun 2013 - 10:40 PM

I was going for the compact style cameras because the DSLR's are larger and more expensive. I am really more interested in the best camera with good manual controls within my price range. How does the G3 compare to the cameras previously listed?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315398 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 10:44 PM

Your budgets not great, but it will be enough to get you started, these offers are quite good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-G3-16-1MP-Compact-System/dp/B004ZKHAWM/ref...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Compact-System-Camera-Double/dp/B005J2JN1Q/ref=s...

And you could have a look at second hand.

This deal is pretty good, mainly because of the lens, its a good travel lens.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olympus-E-P2-+-14-150mm-lens_74447.html

Or this twin lens kit.
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Panasonic-DMC-GF2-+-14-42mm-+-14mm-pancake-%5BDou...

If it was me I would either be looking at second hand, or a decent high spec compact.

mikehit
mikehit  56490 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2013 - 7:59 AM

Quote: I am really more interested in the best camera with good manual controls within my price range. How does the G3 compare to the cameras previously listed?

All the cameras will give you full control over exposure and there is not a lot between Panasonic or Olympus. The G3 is still a very impressive camera and the reason I mentioned that one is because of the ridiculously low prices they are gonig for. All cameras are so good nowadays that you only really notice the difference when shooting in the more extreme conditions.

I prefer the ergonomics of the Panasonic, mainly the way they organise their buttons and on-screen menus: even many Olympus users say their interface could be improved and I (like many) think NEX interface the worst of the lot (though images are marginally better quality because of the bigger sensor). For me the advantage of the G3 is that it has a built-in viewfinder and using it is inherently more stable than holding a camera at arm's length to compose the image. Don't be too swayed by body size: by the time you have a lens on the body the combo is pretty similar in all cases.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64445 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2013 - 9:23 AM

I must stop reading these camera threads. I want a G3 now. Blush

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
20 Jun 2013 - 11:16 AM

I would gladly put my Canon G1x with filters on the classifieds for you for 350.00 great camera and with a large sensor Smile

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
20 Jun 2013 - 11:57 AM

Have a look at the Samsung NX1000, less than 245, APSC sensor, sharp kit lens, and wifi connections.

With excellent pancake lenses available at great prices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007WR32HW/cpbcouk-21/ref=nosim

Last Modified By pcheywood at 20 Jun 2013 - 11:58 AM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64445 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2013 - 2:23 PM

I've just seen the new G5. Super duper little thing. Only problem, another upgrade to the old software required. SadSadSad

Last Modified By SlowSong at 20 Jun 2013 - 2:23 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315398 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2013 - 2:55 PM

Nah just use the DNG converting software Chris Smile

And at the mo you can get a free 45-150mm lens with the G5 kit.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 20 Jun 2013 - 3:00 PM
SlowSong
20 Jun 2013 - 3:13 PM

Yes, I had thought of the Paul. Am I off again?, I wonder. Grin It is gorgeous.
And I have got to go up town again tomorrow cos I left my debit card in a machine and have to go and collect it. Could be a bit dodgy having to pass Jessops again. Blush
It'd make a great alternative to the 60D (heavy old thing), and I'm ditching the 400D and a couple of old lenses as the quality's just not up to scratch in comparison.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 20 Jun 2013 - 3:16 PM
Paul Morgan
20 Jun 2013 - 3:26 PM

450 for the G5 + 14-42, with the 45-150 worth 260 as a free gift looks like a tempting offer.

Remember the x10, check out the size of the smallest M4/3 lens Smile

Quote: It'd make a great alternative to the 60D (heavy old thing)

1-8535148195-82843ac5f0-z.jpg

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 20 Jun 2013 - 3:31 PM
SlowSong
20 Jun 2013 - 3:33 PM

And a good range of lenses to choose from too. I think I'll just close my eyes and go for it. Wink

I know the G3's cheaper but they've upgraded the sensor and reinstated the AF/AE button and there's a neat rocker that you can customise for exposure comp, and well, all sorts of good stuff. Touch screen (articulated), not sure about that but you can turn it off. The menu's easy to understand (unlike the OMDs) and it has a decent shutter speed (unlike the X10). I've been wanting a micro 4/3 and I think this might be The One. Smile

Last Modified By SlowSong at 20 Jun 2013 - 3:34 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.