Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to get a Compact Camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53997 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2013 - 8:10 PM

No problem. I can't understand it either. Anyway, I've now deleted the program as it was doing strange things when I tried to get into photoshop. If I decide to get the camera I'll bit the bullet and upgrade elements. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jun 2013 - 8:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EOS_Snapper
20 Jun 2013 - 9:51 PM

Why not go for one of the super zooms available just now? Canon, Nikon etc. have got fantastic cameras that produce excellent results.

Canon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-24-1200mm-Vari-angle/dp/B009ATJG...

Nikon P510
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-COOLPIX-P510-Compact-Digital/dp/B0071L3M56/ref=sr_...

Olympus SP-820UZ iHS
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-SP-820UZ-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B0090E0QNS/re...

All three of these will meet you needs without carrying bulky additional lenses and are compact enough to fit into a small bag.

ChiliMan
ChiliMan e2 Member 7135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore16 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2013 - 7:38 AM

Superzooms are very handy but they're still small sensor cams. And noise will be an issue as megapixels rise. Depending on the processing engine's capabilities too. Also, as you zoom further and further, shooting speed will be slower and slower and images will be less good. Unless you use a support/tripod and provided the subject is hardly moving. Autofocus can be sluggish at higher focal lengths too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking superzooms. I just got an SX500 IS for my mum and it's definitely a fun camera.

But if image quality is a concern, the images you get from CSCs will generally trump superzooms. And since this is a holiday which may not be repeated often, I would go for the possibility of better images.

Actually, when it comes to image quality and small sensor compacts, I had an Ixus 115 HS which took AWESOME images at the wide angle setting, even indoors. On full zoom (not much, just 100+mm, I think) it wasn't bad either.

But yeah...go with a CSC.

Just my two cents.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53997 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2013 - 8:05 AM

I agree Andrew. I've got three compacts, but not yet a CSC. Smile

ChiliMan
ChiliMan e2 Member 7135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore16 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2013 - 8:16 AM

I read the bit about you eyeing up the G5, Chris Wink

Tell you what got me, though, that overhead pic of the X10 Paul Morgan put up. Mmmm. Looks very good. I've never ever contemplated a Fuji, come to think of it. But no...I must look away...I will not cheat on my E-PL3 GrinGrin

SlowSong
21 Jun 2013 - 8:34 AM

Watch this space. WinkWinkWink

ChiliMan
21 Jun 2013 - 8:35 AM

Nooo...seriously! You gonna get one?? Coool Grin

SlowSong
21 Jun 2013 - 11:53 AM

I nearly did, but guess what? Went to Jessops - got to give them a chance - NOT IN STOCK!
Just like the old days.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2013 - 4:22 PM

Quote: Tell you what got me, though, that overhead pic of the X10 Paul Morgan put up. Mmmm. Looks very good. I've never ever contemplated a Fuji

That Fuji sits in the same bags as my CSC`s or it gets used on occasions when I don`t want to lump a mixture of CSC bodies and lenses, or for doing a bit of strobist type stuff, when it comes to flash these little compacts have advantages, even over DSLR`s Smile

I order one of those cheap Chinese thumbs up grips to use with the x10, but I might have to order another, its really good on my GF2 Smile

dscf7210bc.jpg

Have you checked LCE for the G5`s Chris.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 21 Jun 2013 - 4:28 PM
SlowSong
21 Jun 2013 - 4:33 PM

Quote: Have you checked LCE for the G5`s Chris.

Yes I did. Surprisingly, they're 50 dearer than Jessops and no sign of the free lens offer. I'll probably go to WEX.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 21 Jun 2013 - 4:34 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2013 - 4:42 PM

The free lens offer is through Panasonic UK, not the stores.

What about the ex demo units through LCE at 349.

SlowSong
21 Jun 2013 - 4:51 PM

TBH I'd rather have a brand new one, although I know it's a big saving. And they might remember me as the fusspot who returned the X10. Wouldn't want to do it to them twice if I didn't like it. Grin

ChrisV
ChrisV  7663 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2013 - 5:00 PM

Quote: TBH I'd rather have a brand new one, although I know it's a big saving. And they might remember me as the fusspot who returned the X10. Wouldn't want to do it to them twice if I didn't like it. Grin

If you're thinking about getting a GF5 go here. I got one from them the other week - 249 including the 14-42 PZ lens [that's much cheaper than Panasonic list the lens by itself]. You're not going to get a more compact package in a larger sensor interchangeable lens camera with zoom and at that price it's a steal. I'll probably go to Wilkinson's when I buy my G6 or GH3.

SlowSong
21 Jun 2013 - 5:05 PM

Not the GF5 (no viewfinder), only interested in the G5. Same price as Jessops and Wex, but thanks for the link.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 21 Jun 2013 - 5:07 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.