Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to get a Compact Camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

maxpark3r
maxpark3r  1
1 Jul 2013 - 3:59 PM

I think i'm gonna get the Nex5N, I can get a 2nd hand one for 279 but I can also get an Nex 5R for 349 both with 18-55mm lens' is it worth the extra 70 for the 5R?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Jul 2013 - 3:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2013 - 5:14 PM

Finally got the G5 out of the box but was a bit worried because it was sooooo light (the one they had in the shop to try had one of those security things stuck on the bottom so it felt more substantial), and the kit lens it comes with feels very scratchy and stiffish to use. The free 45-150 lens is a much better prospect and is very smooth to use. Having said that, the 14-42 seems to be OK for IQ so I'll give it a chance. I have to say though, the capture seems to be so much faster than with my other cameras even though the lenses are slower or the same speed. Must be the lack of mirror - I like it. Smile

It's quite a lot different to any camera I've owned before, although some things are very similar to Canons and DSLRs. I thought the touch screen was going to be a mad gimmick but I found I used it quite intuitively for some things. I've still got to get to grips with the way the various menu items keep appearing on the screen without any prompting though but I suppose I can always turn the display off if it gets too much bother. I've had a quick go with both lenses and various settings and it's growing on me. With the sound off, touch capture and flip out screen, I can see this could be quite fun to use.

Compared to the Fuji X10 that I tried out before I find the IQ to be far superior on the G5 so that's a relief. Here's just a quick jpeg at ISO400 taken in quite variable lighting conditions. Hardly any manip at all and it looks fine to me. If this is the jpeg, I wonder if I needed upgrade my RAW files at all!!!

p1000044-resized.jpg

Last Modified By SlowSong at 1 Jul 2013 - 5:19 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314907 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2013 - 5:22 PM

Those kit lenses are a bit stiff and scratchy to begin with, it will loosen up in time.

I`ve got the 14-42 sat in the box that I don`t use.

So you have already received the free lens, that was quick.

You going to be wanting a bunch of primes before long Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2013 - 6:03 PM

Quote: You going to be wanting a bunch of primes before long

Doubt it. But I might get a better wide angle at some point. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314907 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2013 - 6:09 PM

Any good Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-H-H014E-Lumix-Pancake-Wide-Angle/dp/B004445O4A...

SlowSong
1 Jul 2013 - 6:19 PM

Possibly, but not yet. Got enough to be going on with. Grin

maxpark3r
maxpark3r  1
1 Jul 2013 - 7:02 PM

I think i'm gonna get the Nex5N, I can get a 2nd hand one for 279 but I can also get an Nex 5R for 349 both with 18-55mm lens' is it worth the extra 70 for the 5R?
Any advice?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.