Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Looking to replace my old D50

I've had my trusty Nikon D50 for many years but I'm now looking to trade her in for a newer model! Has to be a Nikon due to all the lenses I have. Budget is no more than 800 really. Any suggestions? I'd be using it for wildlife & equestrian photography.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
29 Sep 2012 2:37PM
For that money, Shirley, I think you are talking about either a nearly-new D7000 or a slightly older D300/D300s. The latter would leave you with more change in your pocket - maybe enough to add a battery grip or suchlike. You would not go wrong with either. Another option might be a D90.
29 Sep 2012 3:07PM
My wife upgraded my D50 that I had used for four years or so to a new D5100 as a birthday present. Great camera, love it. Swivel screen is particularly useful for macro or tripod use and folds out of the way when shooting streets or whatever and you don't want to keep being distracted by looking at the last image taken - using it like when we used to use film cameras. Might even leave enough cash to take it on a trip.

Good luck
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 4:15PM
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
29 Sep 2012 5:17PM
At a price like that Amazon one for the D7000, you really can't look past it. Remember that you can't AF with all Nikon lenses on the D5100, only those with integral motors.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 5:51PM
That is a terrific price!
Thanks for the advice. The D7000 looks like the answer. I use Sigma lenses on my D50 at the moment, so hopefully should be ok.
1 Oct 2012 6:23PM
The D7000 is currently no more than 700 new http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Nikon_D7000_Body_pc.html

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.