Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Looking to upgrade to D7000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

phil_j
phil_j e2 Member 8133 forum postsphil_j vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 12:40 AM

After almost 7 years of use my trusty old D50 is coming to the end of its useful life, I need to push on and try to improve and therefore need a camera with a higher spec.....decent ISO performance would be nice, push the D50 to ISO400 and the noise is like looking through a dust storm.
I have finally been given the green light from she who must be obeyed to raid my piggy bank and upgrade.
I am looking at the D7000 and would appreciate any thoughts or reviews from anybody that is currently using one.

thanks in advance.

Phil

Last Modified By phil_j at 27 Dec 2012 - 12:42 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Dec 2012 - 12:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 8:37 AM

I started with a D70 and have a D200 and D300. I won the D7000 last year in the Epz Christmas draw and haven't used my D300 since, apart from as a backup body for a wedding Robbie and I did. If you are currently using a D50 you will be stunned at the difference.

Go for it.

Ian

phil_j
phil_j e2 Member 8133 forum postsphil_j vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 9:05 AM

Thanks Ian.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
27 Dec 2012 - 9:06 AM

It is a great camera body and also the forerunner of the excellent high ISO performance and wide dynamic range seen in the D800 and D600.
You will get very good noise performance even at 1600.
Prices are lower than they have ever been at the moment http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod.php?n=NikonD7000Body&p=1632

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
27 Dec 2012 - 10:24 AM

Agree with Ian and LensShepherd, I've got one and am stunned by the IQ even with an old 18-70mm kit lens. It's also very user-friendly.
Go for it, you'll not be disappointed.

GaGoo
GaGoo  1 Scotland
27 Dec 2012 - 10:55 AM

Just upgraded from Panasonics to the D7K. Very impressed with what I have seen so far using a 10-24mm and a 70-200mm lens. It's a really great camera and surprisingly user friendly and intuitive. My other choice was a D600 but decided to avoid for the time being until the problem of dust spots on the sensor, reported by many, has been resolved.

Jonnymyles
27 Dec 2012 - 10:59 AM

Just brought the mrs one for christmas, cracking little camera! seriously making me consider wether the d600 is worth the extra money!

chalkhillblue
chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hello Phil, firstly congratulations on the quality of the images you produce from what is considered a rather dated and by todays standards,
a camera with very low specifications, the mark of a very good photographer.
The D7000 is, according to Nikon rumours, very close to being replaced, if that is the case you could either hang on a bit and see if
the replacement would be a better option for you or if a replacement is announced the price of the D7000 should be somewhat more attractive,
a you could pick up quite a bargain.
David

phil_j
27 Dec 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thank you all for the reviews, very helpfull and thank you David for the kind comments.
Ph8o

thewilliam
27 Dec 2012 - 1:05 PM

The D7000 is a very useful camera and one friend who runs a portrait studio with about 20 staff bought D7000 bodies to replace the ageing D2X cameras. Very high image quality and they'll do most things. Best of all. they use the existing DX lenses because most professionals have a substantial investment in glassware.

When they're superceded, the D7000 will be even better value for money.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 27 Dec 2012 - 1:05 PM
Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
27 Dec 2012 - 7:03 PM

Quote: 20 staff bought D7000 bodies to replace the ageing D2X cameras.

And jumping at least 2 generations, The D2x was a great camera in it's day, outperformed by the
C-MOS sensored Canons by pixels and image quality.BUT then came the almighty D3- D300 -D3s- D7000- D700- D800 - D4,
There are better point & squirt camera's today than the D2x.
But on returning to the Post YES the D7000 is a very very capable camera. Would i choose it over a D300? that I cannot say as I went FX at the point of decision.The D300 or s would have been on my list of must have kit.

thewilliam
27 Dec 2012 - 11:55 PM

Quote: 20 staff bought D7000 bodies to replace the ageing D2X cameras.
And jumping at least 2 generations, The D2x was a great camera in it's day.

Many professionals don't upgrade until there's a compelling need to lash out their hard-earned money. This is especially true in a portrait studio. The cameras are tools rather than toys. My friend realised that the imaqe quality of the D7000 is every bit as good as cameras that cost a lot more.

I expect that for most people, the limiting factor isn't the camera, it's their photographic ability.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2012 - 9:13 AM

Quote: But on returning to the Post YES the D7000 is a very very capable camera. Would i choose it over a D300? that I cannot say as I went FX at the point of decision.The D300 or s would have been on my list of must have kit.

I was using a D300 when I won the D7000 and was initially unsure which to give to Robbie. I spent quite a lot of time reading the specs and thought there were pros and cons for both cameras. When I started using the D7000 I found the cons became insignificant and it quickly became my camera of choice, with Robbie taking over the D300.

I haven't had as much chance as I would have liked to use it in the past couple of years but I have never found myself wishing I had the 300.

Consulo
Consulo  10763 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2012 - 11:49 AM

I made the jump from a D70 to a D7000 and, like others, I cannot praise the latter enough. I got lots of great pictures from my D70 but I felt that there was enough of a change between generations to justify the jump to a newer model (I've never personally understood why some 'togs seem to jump on the next model as soon as it comes out, though I can perhaps see why pros do it), and I was knocked out by the difference.

If the D7000 is indeed due to be replaced very soon it may be worth holding out. D7000's are still retailing for over 800 in some places and a newer model may be just over the 1000 mark, so you could just bank some more cash in the meantime and then make your move. Whatever you choose to do, however, you won't be disappointed.

GaGoo
GaGoo  1 Scotland
28 Dec 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'd be quite surprised Consulo if you have to fork out that much for the D7K at the moment. I got mine two weeks ago for 629 at Jessops in Glasgow and the current low price on http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/ is around the 618 mark. It may well drop below the 600 level in the next two months when the new D7100/D8000 is released though.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.