Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Loose lens hood

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 83465 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    20 Sep 2012 - 2:09 PM

Hi....the hood on my Nikon lens is very loose, I imagine many hoods are the same but mine is on the 28-300 lens.
    ...anyone any suggestions for fixing it ? ...I'm frightened it might drop off at an innoppertune moment.
    ....like into the cheetah enclosure at Chester zoo Smile

....any advice...other than leave it off/glue it on Smile ...appreciated.....Mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Sep 2012 - 2:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 2:18 PM

a bit of blu-tak on the thread would stiffen it up without permanent damage?

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Sep 2012 - 2:19 PM

This might seem obvious but it wasnt to me at first.
    Most of the Nikon hoods I have need to be twisted on a little firmer to overcome the "click lock" and when being released need to be squeezed gently to again overcome the "click lock".
    Obvious now but as I said to me at first it wasnt (brain dead now Im a OAP)

thewilliam
    20 Sep 2012 - 2:30 PM

The plastic bayonet fitting Nikon hoods tend to wear out and they stop gripping the lens front. I've never seen any significant wear on the lens front so the best cure is to just buy a new lens-shade. If you feel stingy, use gaffer tape!

The lens-shades for our studio's 105mm VR lens last between 2 and 3 years.

Newdevonian
    20 Sep 2012 - 2:55 PM

Quote: but mine is on the 28-300 lens.

I would not worry too much since it only works at 28mm. Up to 300mm it is totally useless, other than help keep the rain off the front element.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 3:00 PM

Quote: I've never seen any significant wear on the lens front so the best cure is to just buy a new lens-shade

Or just use a third party hood, one that screws into the filter thread.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 3:25 PM

Or try dropping a small blob of glue into the hood's grooves. Let it dry completely before refitting though, for obvious reasons!

Nick

MikeRC
    20 Sep 2012 - 3:45 PM

Thanks guys ...few thoughts there...might try that Nick, provided I need only put the glue on the hood.
    I was going to buy third party hood off ebay 'till Paul made me realize they screw onto the lens...don't want that.
    ...may just try it without first, I only use the long end so if what "Newdevonian" says is correct, I'm good.

cheers all....Mike

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    20 Sep 2012 - 4:15 PM

Just a thought...... silicone adhesive, a thin layer on the lens hood locking lugs would grip the lens barrel, preventing it from slipping round and falling of.
    If it doesnt work it could be removed quite easily.

Stillbase
    Stillbase e2 Member 253 forum postsStillbase vcard Wales
    20 Sep 2012 - 4:27 PM

I'd be a bit careful with silicone based products - in my experience the silicone creeps everywhere.

MikeRC
    20 Sep 2012 - 4:41 PM

cheers macroman/Stillbase...
    ...I think firstly don't use hood...if that doesn't work buy a new one Smile no point ruining the lens.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 9:22 PM

Putting a smidge of glue on the hood and waiting for it to dry won't affect the lens in any way. Just use something like uhu on the hood, sparingly, and it will be fine.

Why spend money on a new hood if you don't need to? Too many people on here say "buy this, buy that" as a first option. I say think how you can sort the problem yourself first and save yourself the cash .... Keep it for something you really need.

Nick

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    20 Sep 2012 - 9:32 PM

Quote: I'd be a bit careful with silicone based products - in my experience the silicone creeps everywhere.

Yes, silicone lubricant will creep. Adhesive on the lens hood, once its set, it won't creep.

Jestertheclown
    21 Sep 2012 - 9:26 AM

I can understand your concern re. a screw-in hood, possibly damaging the thread in the lens but it won't harm your lens if you're using a UV filter (which itself is screwed into the lens.)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.