Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lost

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
23 Oct 2012 1:49PM

Quote:I was by myself and it was late afternoon. At the end I was using a torch. After 4 hours searching I found them and collapsed exhausted and very chastened.

That was really lucky!!
Seems like the push bike is currently the largest item - Has anyone ever lost a car (not stolen)? I have on several occasions for a short while at the NEC when doing Focus on Imaging.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 1:58PM
Way back in the '60s I lived in digs in Sutton and rode my motorbike up to Central London for a party. It must have been a classic because on Sunday morning I woke back in my bed with no recollection of how I got there (alone unfortunately Grin )

When I went down my bike was missing and it slowly dawned on me that I had done the responsible thing and left it in London - but where?

I spent all day going up and down the little streets all around Threadneedle Street and eventually found it by about 4 in the afternoon.

I never did find out how I got home the night before! Tongue
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
23 Oct 2012 2:00PM
Tripped on the canal side and in goes my Manfrotto. After contemplating diving in wasnt a good idea I saw a guy fishing. Together with his net and a long branch off a tree we recovered it
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Oct 2012 2:28PM

Quote:Has anyone ever lost a car (not stolen)? I have on several occasions for a short while

Me too - I've managed to find it, amidst rising panic that it might actually have been stolen! Grin

Car is rather low slung and hard to see, in a car park, amongst all the 4x4s and 'people carriers', that pass for cars these days.
JJGEE
10 6.4k 18 England
23 Oct 2012 2:37PM

Quote:I have on several occasions for a short while at the NEC when doing Focus on Imaging.

Tip.

With modern mobile telephones you could now take a quick snap of the car's location for reference.

Cannot remember how the car parks at Focus were labelled but I used to jot down the details in a notebook.
I even do this at shopping centre car parks as well, but usually try to park in the same aisle / floor ( the roof easy to remember ) each visit.
23 Oct 2012 2:44PM
keys to my wife's horse trailer. At an event. Hunted through the field in which all the trailers had been parked. Made several telephone calls to lock experts (unsurprisingly not wanting to come out to the middle of nowhere). Accepted, with good humour, a telling off for being so stupid in mislaying them.

Several hours later, after everyone had gone, found them where I had put them in door pocket...
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 2:46PM
And I bet, until this moment, you never told anyone Smile
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 2:47PM
Heres a very clever tip that someone told me about and it really works. If you accidentally lock your keys in your car (beware, some newer cars have automatic lock facility) and the spare set is at home then phone home on your mobile and as long as it is a mobile to mobile phone the person on the other end can activate the car lock by using the pressing the button on the spare key. They just have to have the key close to the phone and your phone must be close to the car. We tried this on my car and my daughters and it worked. Clever or what!
danbrann e2
10 497 15
23 Oct 2012 2:56PM

Quote:In the last couple of weeks I have lost a Lee Filters Nd filter and a Hahnel remote cable while out on Baslow Edge.

What's the most expensive thing you lost?

What tips do you have to stop stuff falling out of bags when you're doing shoots?

Close your bag.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 2:56PM

Quote: Has anyone ever lost a car (not stolen)? I have on several occasions for a short while at the NEC when doing Focus on Imaging.

Perhaps 20 years back I borrowed a salesman's company car, lovely shiny red ford sierra to go get something for work, parked in the multi story feeling chuffed to drive such a cool car.
Came back out into the car park a while later and now saw LOADS of lovely shiny red ford sierra's Grin - took me a while to get the key to fit one of them Smile
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 3:00PM
Sounds a canny idea janeez.

With my little "SusiKee" if I leave the key in the car I can't lock the doors (or at least I could but anyone else can then unlock and drive it away) - its one of the very few penalties of a "Keyless Entry" system, so long as the key is in the proximity of the car it can be opened and started without inserting it into the various locks

Because of this I make darned sure that it stays firmly in one of my zipped pockets at all times.

(Does it count that I frequently lose my Wife when we are out shopping, one minute she's there the next she drops through a worm-hole, which seems most often to be generated around Marks & Spencers! It messes up her Space - Time Continuum too "I'll just be a couple of minutes" can turn into an hour or more where I am but for her, no time passes at all Wink )
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
23 Oct 2012 3:01PM

Quote: They just have to have the key close to the phone and your phone must be close to the car. We tried this on my car and my daughters and it worked.

Wow that's clever. I must try that just for the fun aspect!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Oct 2012 3:22PM
Whilst working on a book, I left a brand new 1Ds MKI with two lenses on a bench in York and walked away (my mobile phone was also in the bag.)

A frantic half hour of searching ensued. I say frantic it was more like a major heart attack.

Long Story Short.

While I was looking for the camera, a nearby resident who had seen me walk away and leave it, was looking for me. I gave him every penny I had in my pocket - a fiver.
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 3:45PM
I lost the wife once! She stepped back too much when taking here picture and she slid down a muddy embankment for about 20 feet. Needless to say it was my fault and she did not speak to me for several hours until we reached home. Unfortunately I had to delete the image I took of here after she clambered back up the slope, otherwise she threatened to divorce me! Sods law, 2 years later we did get divorced, but I did not have the incriminating evidence of her mishap!
Stephen
Metalhead
7 1.9k 2 England
23 Oct 2012 3:51PM

Quote:Heres a very clever tip that someone told me about and it really works. If you accidentally lock your keys in your car (beware, some newer cars have automatic lock facility) and the spare set is at home then phone home on your mobile and as long as it is a mobile to mobile phone the person on the other end can activate the car lock by using the pressing the button on the spare key. They just have to have the key close to the phone and your phone must be close to the car. We tried this on my car and my daughters and it worked. Clever or what!

I know you said you've tried this and it works but it still sounds like a wind up to me! Smile Might have to give this a try for a laugh!

My boss wishes he knew this nugget of information. The other year he locked his keys in the boot of his car while up in Keswick but he also had a friend's luggage in the boot! The friend had to be in London the next day so my boss got his dad to drive to Keswick from Lincoln with the spare set of keys, then he drove from Keswick to London as his friend had missed her train due to not being able to get hold of her luggage!

Personally in a desperate time like that I'd have smashed one of the small side windows and avoided hassling other people and saving stupidly long driving journeys but hey ho...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.