Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lost

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 4:01 PM

How far away were you when you tried this. was it more than 100M? My son demonstrated how to increase the range of my car remote to that distance, just hold it next to your head. It worked.

Are you certain it is phone to phone transmission not the spare key having a focused beam. You see the phone you ring will not answer the call, instead it will go to the voice mail in the network, so how does it trigger the second key to act? Also the remote will be a wireless or Ir emitter not acoustic.

I checked snopes and it is on as an urban legend.,

P.s The trick with the head, we found raising the key to that height achieved the desired effect.

Last Modified By strawman at 23 Oct 2012 - 4:06 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Oct 2012 - 4:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 4:18 PM

I often unlock the car by pressing the appropriate button on the remote whilst it's still in my pocket.

If I'm too far away it won't work, but raising the key certainly does.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 4:22 PM

Yes, but you look far more intelligent holding it against your forehead

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 4:27 PM

True!

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
23 Oct 2012 - 4:41 PM

Just be careful with those folding keys, e.g. VW - pressing the inappropriate button makes the key snap open in your pocket. Potentially embarrassing or even painful! Wink

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73352 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 4:58 PM

I was flying out to Lake Como in Italy along with my boss for a few days. (Honest we were on business!). Having been in the area a few years previously I decided to take my camera bag hoping to get some good shots. OM2/ 28mm/50mm/70-200mm/ filters etc. In those days a tidy sum.
It was in the days when the hand luggage scans were just coming in, so I put my briefcase, & coat through along with the camera bag. Briefcase & coat come through OK then the conveyor stops while they look carefully at the camera bag.
So busy talking with the boss that I picked up the briefcase & coat & walked off, leaving the camera bag behind.
It was only later on I realised I had forgotten it; had to rush back to security to reclaim it. The most embarrassing part was that one of the security inspectors was a chap I knew from the Camera Club who was at that point going through the bag checking everything ( & probably thinking all his christmases had come at once!).
Needless to say, by the time I returned from Italy the whole club knew about it!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 6:52 PM

Quote: Has anyone ever lost a car (not stolen)? I have on several occasions for a short while at the NEC when doing Focus on Imaging

Lost a Holiday chalet once, they all look the same in the dark Smile

brrttpaul
brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 7:07 PM

After reading some of these posts may I bring your attention to metal detectorists. being a detectorist myself many times have I had a call to find someones keys, rings, chains etc. So bear it in mind if you do lose something like a ring, find out your local MD club and give them a call, they will only be to happy to help you find it and at no cost except a TY.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
23 Oct 2012 - 7:42 PM

Quote: Quote: They just have to have the key close to the phone and your phone must be close to the car. We tried this on my car and my daughters and it worked.

That's been doing the email rounds for years, and was supposed to be urban legend.

Quote: I gave him every penny I had in my pocket - a fiver.

A true Northerner - turn out your pockets (keep the wallet hidden Wink )

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 7:55 PM

Ive never lost a car but quite a few years ago I parked my Motorbike (Yamaha RD 125 LC for those that are into bikes) at the train station when I was at College.

I came back from College at 9 in the evening and said bike was gone...I walked the mile or so the police station (when they were open in the evening!!) and reported it missing!!

A 7 mile walk home ensued with assurance from Plod that I would be informed of any developments as there had been a few thefts from the station car park...(before the days of excessive signage!!)

I got a call the next day from Plod saying they had found it and could I come and collect it...."will take me a couple of hours I said to arrange a lift"

The phone went within 30 mins and Plod said they had the bike under surveillance but at some point inbetween them calling me it had been stolen again!!!

Sheesh....a couple of days went by with Plod keeping an eye out for it and they found it again and could I come and collect it immediately....Nope was my reply but my brother in law is in town and I will see if he can meet you and push it back to his work.....No Problem was Plods reply.

Bro in Law turned up and with no sign of Plod or anyone to talk to started to push back to his work and was promptly arrested for stealing the bike!!Tongue

Ho HumSmile

franken
franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 8:09 PM

I was in Cardiff city centre last year and I decided I'd stop for a cup of coffee at the outdoor cafe in the Hayes area.

I took my back pack off and placed it nearby. I had my DSLR around my neck. After about fifteen minutes I was distracted by what I assumed to be some sort of a band around the corner.

I got up and walked away and forgot the backpack. About ten minutes later it dawned on me that I'd left the backpack unattended in a busy area!

My heart sank as I realised that my 70-300 mm lens, my kit lens, a Samsung compact, spare memory cards, batteries etc were in the backpack.

My mood didn't get better when I remembered the two concert tickets I'd just purchased for my sons, my house keys and my mobile phone were also in the backpack.

I rushed back to the cafe area and as expected there was no sight of the bag. In desperation I went to the cafe counter and asked if there was a remote chance of a bag being handed in.

The woman behind the counter said this is your lucky day as one of the girls saw the bag and placed it behind the counter. I had to describe the contents and everything was in the bag!

I thanked the girl who found it. She said you'd be surprised as to what people leave behind in the cafe area.

Difficult to describe the relief really!

Ken

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 8:10 PM

I can remember taking the wife to a gig and before I went to the bar I told her not to move.

When I got back she was gone.

Then the band started playing and I could hear her cries but I could not see her.

The silly cow had only entered the mosh pit Smile

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 2119 forum postsSnapster vcard England
23 Oct 2012 - 8:20 PM

Ryanair managed to lose my tripod after they insisted it went into the hold as it was classed as an offensive weapon.
I offered the tripod to the flight crew for self defence, just in case someone did try to highjack the plane with a sneaked on tripod.
At which point I was warned that my sarcastic attitude may result in me being barred from Ryanair flights!

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 2119 forum postsSnapster vcard England
23 Oct 2012 - 8:27 PM

I've also managed to lose my car.
I stopped at the motorway services and came out and couldn't find the car.
Convinced it was stolen I reported it to the police who happened to be in the car park.
They checked CCTV and couldn't even find me entering the car park.
At which point I realised I had taken the footbridge over to the north side, car was on the south side.Smile

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
23 Oct 2012 - 8:36 PM

Me and a mate once lost his car in a car park. We walked round the thing 4 times, as the sun dropped and everyone else left. Eventually, there it was, last one in the middle. No idea how we missed it 4 times....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.