Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lost Photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    helicopter
    19 Jul 2012 - 6:27 PM

Sad I have dozens of irreplaceable photos on an external hard drive. Last week the drive was knocked of my desk and now i can no longer access the drive. I,m very computer literate and have tried everything including data recovery software but to no avail, my only hope is a clean room where it can be stripped and hopefully get my photos loaded onto another drive. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Jul 2012 - 6:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jul 2012 - 6:35 PM

Sounds like a case for your local IT geeks, unless you are up to repairing hard drives. Smile

If it's a hardware damage issue, software solutions won't cure it. Doesn't seem, on the face of it, like a problem which cannot be solved. Will cost some money, of course, but if the photos are irreplaceable then that's got to weigh in the balance.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 19 Jul 2012 - 6:36 PM
    colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jul 2012 - 7:59 PM

that's reel bad luck, i am glad i keep mine on the floor under the table, and i do back up to another one i keep out of the house.

Last Modified By colin beeley at 19 Jul 2012 - 8:00 PM
    SueEley
    SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jul 2012 - 8:12 PM

Depends if it's the disc or the mechanism that's broken, I guess - but then I think you know that! Sympathy, for what it's worth. As someone who destroyed a graphics tablet by spilling an alcoholic beverage on it, I know that accidents happen and hindsight is 20:20. No practical advice, though, I'm afraid. (I back up three times, but not to a disc outside my machine - the hard drive to do that is waiting for me to use it, as we speak. I'd better do it!)

mikehit
    mikehit  46182 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jul 2012 - 9:11 PM

I recently had a similar problem when my disc went kaput and I had not backed up my data properly. I used a company called TRC Data recovery - it was not cheap at 300 to recover a 500GB disc but to me it was worth it (and a solid lesson!)
    Their service was excellent and they spent some time talking me through the options.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    franken
    franken e2 Member 113055 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2012 - 8:13 AM

I use external hard drives and I also back up images that are important to me onto DVD's. I've heard that the storage life of these and recordable Cd's are iffy but I've not found it to be the case.

I had a reason to go into a few of my archived Cd's from 2003 recently and they opened without any problems.

Last Modified By franken at 20 Jul 2012 - 8:13 AM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014037 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2012 - 8:20 AM

Quote: I've heard that the storage life of these and recordable Cd's are iffy but I've not found it to be the case.

All data storage systems should be regarded as iffy and libel to fail at any time. Best idea is to have 3 copies of everything, might save a lot of heartache one day.

User_Removed
    20 Jul 2012 - 8:58 AM

I have mentioned this before on EPZ but I had a friend with a failed external drive which he dismantled and installed inside his pc and it ran ok...I suppose it depends where in the machine the failure occured so you either take a screwdriver or a cheque book to it...I cant see another option sadly...best of luck ...stuart

Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2012 - 12:59 PM

Quote: Sad I have dozens of irreplaceable photos on an external hard drive. Last week the drive was knocked of my desk and now i can no longer access the drive. I,m very computer literate and have tried everything including data recovery software but to no avail, my only hope is a clean room where it can be stripped and hopefully get my photos loaded onto another drive. Can anyone help?

Anybody who is computer literate ALWAYS BACKS UP files, whether on DVDs or better and more usually an external hard drive. Personally I back up ALL myfiles daily on an external hard drive using Microsoft SyncToy backup (Free issue) and also monthly on DVD.

A valuable lesson to be learnt here I am afraid.

Frank

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53537 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2012 - 1:53 PM

http://www.krollontrack.co.uk/ is a Company i'd recommend in Epsom, my company has used them - very good.

Their prices were said to be OK as long as you did not need the files next day - we did :-(

All drives will eventually fail - always back up to 2 or 3 different locations ideally with one of them in a different location entirely.
    (That's not what I do as much as I should though)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.