Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lots of Skill - No photographs

Bonvilston 3 61 8 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 11:49AM
Well it isn't quite as bad as the title, but basically I have been a photographer for 4 decades and have tried all sorts of techniques over the years. plenty of experience and a willingness to try out new ideas. Unfortunately I realised that when i got a new CANON EOS 600D for my birthday this summer I have hardly used it. I can do so much, but I just don't take enough images.

So i have decided as my New year's resolution to change all of that - and to use ePhotozine as a major tool to help me. I have set myself a set of monthly projects to cover the next 12 months. I have decided on a Project 52 ( a Project 365 would drift into mediocrity I fear ) I plan to enter competitions and submit images for critique. Most of all I plan to try to gain support and stimulation from the people on here. I joined last year, but didn't do much on it. This time I aim to use it as my main photographic community for gaining inspiration.

I need your help in this. Please look out for things I submit and try to do. Your responses may well be the difference between another year wasted or the start of a purposeful photographic life !!!

Another major feature that i plan to use to force me to get out there with my camera is that I am recording all that i do in a Photoblog. This will not be the usual 4 days start then left in the ether. I am recording my tasks and my successes, but also my frustrations. I am collecting together my inspirations and the knowledge I have gained ( tutorials etc) in this one place to push myself ( even shame myself ). It would be great if people on here would take a look at my progress now and then and give me a nudge or a word of support.

Grin Make it work for me...PLEASE Grin

(My Project 52 is on the theme of Barry - my nearest town. Here's a couple of images to give you a feel for it.)

barrydocks4.jpg

shadow-front-bench.jpg

barry-gibbonsdown.jpg

dock-offices-2.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Jan 2012 11:52AM
Forgot to give the website to track my progress. It is Bonvilston2012
bangalicious 7 1.3k 5 England
5 Jan 2012 11:53AM
Welcome back!
Liking the first image of Barry Docks.

Maybe post in the Critique gallery for assistance etc?
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
5 Jan 2012 12:34PM
Interesting set - I live in Barry myself.

Ken
Suehh 7 39 6 England
5 Jan 2012 12:42PM
This is such a good idea! I decided too to take pics of my home town (Portsmouth) and use them for experience - as I need as much as I can get!) but then husband had a heart attack and we have a new pup whom I take everywhere with me but cannot take images with her yet as she is still only 14 weeks old - but you have given me some inspiration too - thank you for that.

This is an interesting set - the many different faces of Barry - I look forward to following your project.

Sue
Heretic 8 11 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 1:08PM
Well Done Peter, I've bookmarked your blog and will try to look it up from time to time. Perhaps there's hope for me - like you I have been taking pictures of varying quality for decades (at least 5). So well done in getting this far, best wishes.
AndyMurdo 8 33 6 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 3:36PM
Hi Pete,
Welcome back, I guess your problems stem from being out of the habit, so your proposals seem good to me, you might in addition consider joining a local photo club, my local club puts on training days for mastering all things digital, plus lectures, shows, competitions, exhibitions and many other events, plus you get to feed into the social element too, so this might be worth checking out, but remember some clubs do more than others!
Your posted images are cleanly composed and show much promise, though two have a bit of an over processed look about them, common to both the digital novice as well as a number of the more seasoned practicioners among us (the pier and building with tree) namely;
Picture 1 it looks like you have darkend the sky using the highlights slider in your softwear, resulting in a lighter halo effect where the sky boarders the horizon (this problem is also evident in your third picture too, where you can also see the effect of a N/D Grad on the top half of the picture) any adjustments you make need to be gentle unless you deliberately want a harsh over processed look, but that is more likely to loose you pionts on the competition circiut. watch out for oversharpening as well because this is someting else that ruins the presentation of many a good shot! I am not going to take you into remedies, but suggest you check out the many tutorials published, either on this site and other web based resources or in Books and Magazines etc.
Well good luck, I shall try and look in to see how you are going from time to time.
Regards
Andy
5 Jan 2012 5:00PM
Love the first shot, very atmospheric and the statue took from a low angle is nice although I would probably left a larger gap between building and elbow, I have found the site invaluable myself and always have my camera on me.

I will check in at regular intervals to pick fault - sorry I mean constructively critique, feel free to do the same.

Simon Grin
5 Jan 2012 5:03PM
Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. It is much appreciated ! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.