Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Loud Sony A99???

aardvark7 7 1
19 Dec 2012 12:12PM
Does anyone else agree with ephotozine's opinion that the Sony A99 has a loud shutter?

I can only think that either they had a faulty unit, or the reviewer's hearing aid was turned up too high!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LVanDhal 2 126 1 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2012 12:25PM
No shutter could possibly be louder than my old Zenit, you didn't "take" a photo with it, you announced it.
awwwh now I'm all nostalgic thinking about it, weighed a ton, and if i dropped it, it was the pavement that got damaged.
loved that camera.
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2012 3:30PM
I seem to remember it did not have an instant return mirror, so that noise was only one way. You had to wind the film on to re-**** the mirror. How we have moved on!
LVanDhal 2 126 1 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2012 4:06PM

Quote:I seem to remember it did not have an instant return mirror, so that noise was only one way. You had to wind the film on to re-**** the mirror. How we have moved on!

True, but there was a certain Romance to taking a camera out back then,
the smell of the leather case, the wonderful sound as you wound on the film,
even the dials, ASA,DIN,
ah, now its all lighter, faster, quicker, and i am not knocking it at all,
but i wonder how many people will get a bit misty eyed over their first digital ?
I feel I was fortunate to have discovered photography pre digital.
( sorry this is totally off topic, my apology's )
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
19 Dec 2012 4:19PM
I don't think DPR commented on a "loud" shutter.

Basically most of the reviews of SLT cameras tend to "damn with faint praise". They can't usually find much wrong but you can tell that they don't really like them - it hasn't got a flappy mirror for Chrissake, what were they thinking. The advantages of not having the mirror are all glossed over - or completey ignored. It's a generational thingI think. These people need to try using one for an extended period - and then go back to the DSLR.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2012 5:46PM
OK Pete it is perhaps a question to ask if its fair, but then they did not make much of an issue of the battery life only being about 400 shots, that is low for a modern dSLR. In the main the reviewer has been positive about the camera and given their view of the plus and minus points. They have drawn their own conclusion over the mirror issue and frankly you do need to get over it. Lets check but it is possible that the reviewer is younger than you so was it wise to try and have a go at him just because his view is different from yours.

Could it be that it is possible for their to be more than one view and that the opposite view to yours could be just as valid? Come on Pete lighten up and do not be such an old set in your ways stick in the dump.

After all, imagine if Sony have managed to make a static mirror camera with more shake than a modern dSLR. What would you do then??? I have an old rangefinder that makes more noise than a modern SLR. It did not look like the reviewer made the noise a major point, just a downside. And he had a lot more positives than negatives. So its not like the reviewer went out to do a hatchet job on the camera. For example this sounds fairly positive to me.

Quote:The Sony Alpha A99 has a number of unique features that help it stand out amongst other full frame Digital SLRs, and importantly delivers some impressive benefits thanks to Sony's use of "Translucent Mirror" technology, namely quicker focus performance for photos and video, as well as high speed live view performance, and a high resolution OLED electronic viewfinder. For stills photography you may want to save some money and look at some of the other full frame cameras, but if you take high speed photography or are interested in video recording then the Sony Alpha A99 certainly stands out - it also takes some excellent photos.

Could it be that the moving mirror is not a big issue for most people.

So go on be nice and enjoy that the camera was given a mainly positive review. Could the cup be half full?
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
19 Dec 2012 7:40PM

Quote:OK Pete it is perhaps a question to ask if its fair, but then they did not make much of an issue of the battery life only being about 400 shots, that is low for a modern dSLR. In the main the reviewer has been positive about the camera and given their view of the plus and minus points. They have drawn their own conclusion over the mirror issue and frankly you do need to get over it. Lets check but it is possible that the reviewer is younger than you so was it wise to try and have a go at him just because his view is different from yours.

If you actually read my post SM you'll see I'm not having a "go" at anyone in particular. It's a generic whinge about nearly all the reviews of the SLTs - read the DPR review and you'll see the same kind of guff despite the fact that they gave it their top award, whatever that means. The various advantages of the SLT are mentioned in passing and then basically dismissed. "If you take high speed photography or are interested in video" blah blah - otherwise look elsewhere. "It takes some excellent photos". I'd bloody hope so at 2 grand.

I'm willing to bet that none of these reviewers use SLTs as their own camera. If they did they'd have a different opinion.
19 Dec 2012 11:08PM
Perhaps because their view is that for stills photography the advantages are not that significant compared to the disadvantages. It could be that for a lot of people their view is correct. It could be for you the advantages are important but it could also be that you are overplaying the issue. I am certain that it takes excellent quality photo's, but then so do the Canon and Nikon alternatives.

I know you do not agree, and it is your right to, but to me an EVF has not yet passed what a good Optical finder can give you. In fact if I could I would like a hybrid in such an expensive beast. That way you could an ability to have optical finder with information overlay, or Full EVF. Perhaps in the next generation.

I do not think all the reviewer are out to get Sony, perhaps it is just that they go EVF and SLT ok its got it next. It is just not the killer feature.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
19 Dec 2012 11:11PM
So it it loud - or isn't it? Smile
19 Dec 2012 11:12PM
Not seen one in the wild to hear it yet CB

Over to the Review team for a set of audio clips. Grin
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
19 Dec 2012 11:13PM
You might be able to hear it from some distance away - if EPZ is right! Wink
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2012 11:16PM
Maybe they aren't on a crusade.

Maybe they prefer the ergonomics and functionality of the mainstream SLR types. If all reviewers say "the same kind of guff", then maybe that's what they all think? They can award top marks to these cameras, but might still prefer others to use for themselves. If the reviews are positive, then what's the problem? It all sounds like pretty positive reviewing to me, but then Betamax was a much better system than VHS, yet which one had longevity?
Marketing and personal opinion counted for more than test results.
Maybe more people like SLRs because we are traditionalists at heart....not saying other cameras aren't as good, but what people want is the deciding factor in the end.

For instance, I think short battery life is much more important to me than the ability to shoot high speed video, if I want a camera to take out for the day.

By all means blow the "SLT trumpet", but don't get defensive and insulting when others may not share your personal view.

Nick
19 Dec 2012 11:29PM
Ask and you shall hear.

Now we need the same tests with 5DIII, D800 etc. It sounds like a shutter. Without a reference its hard to say but it is a lot louder than the AF beep and has a fairly sharp sound to it, so it could be a type of noise the human ear will think is louder than the energy content. For example the total energy of sound from a petrol and a diesel engine is often the same over the whole cycle, but the fast rapid compression ignition shock wave is registered.

But without some other cameras by its side I would not judge. Perhaps Matt has a view?
19 Dec 2012 11:43PM
Apologies I see the review was by Joshua my mistake.
aardvark7 7 1
6 Jan 2013 8:40PM
Ahh well, it seems Ephotozine won't be changing their review, even though the A99 probably has the quietest of all Full Frame camera shutters and only bested by other Sony SLT models within the DSLR/SLT market (in case anyone wonders, I have two which I use professionally and subjects never know I've taken the shot when not using flash!).

I can only assume the reviewer had their hearing aid turned up too high... Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.