Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Low light and floodlight help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ian White
    Ian White  11177 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Oct 2010 - 8:53 PM

Hi all i am off to this event on Saturday,and i will be using my nikon f80 with slide film can any one give so tips please.

GWR 175 - Twilight (Enthusiasts' Weekend) - 23-24 October

Some of our more unusual rolling stock will be in use and locomotives will be displayed around the centre giving unusual photographic opportunities. The Centre will open late on Saturday night with some areas floodlit to offer further challenges to the photographer!

* Vintage Train
    * Goods Train
    * Shunting in the yard
    * Locomotive line-ups

Thanks in advance for any help,Ian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Oct 2010 - 8:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cheddar-caveman
    19 Oct 2010 - 7:52 AM

Ah, just realised you're using colour slides, not digital. (Wrong place to post) I was going to say make sure you check your white balance with artificial light as the main light source otherwise the shots will almost certainly take on a colour hue - probably orange'ish, but I doubt you can do that with a film camera!

Railcam
    Railcam  7465 forum posts Scotland
    19 Oct 2010 - 11:42 AM

I have done lots of railway night shots in the past, using my Nikon F301 and Sensia 100 film. I found that having set up the scene on a tripod and carefully framed and focussed, use Aperture priority, set the aperture to f5.6 and trip the shutter (using a cable release if you have one).

The secret is to count how long the camera exposes for. If it exceeds 30 seconds open the aperture and try again. Basically, Nikon cameras can meter succcessfully up to 30 seconds so as long as the exposre is less than 30 seconds you will be OK.

I found the 50mm f1.8 Nikkor lens was good for night work.

I hope this makes sense and good luck.
    Keith

Railcam
    Railcam  7465 forum posts Scotland
    20 Oct 2010 - 11:21 AM

One further point, I suggest using centre weighted metering. That was the only option on the F301.

Spot metering not recommended unless it it is centred on a mid tone and matrix is not recommended as it may be influenced too much by black sky, resulting in over exposure.

Good luck.
    Keith

Ian White
    Ian White  11177 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Oct 2010 - 5:35 PM

Thank you very much for your help,i will dig out my 50mm lenes,it been a long time since i used that

Thanks again,Ian

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.